PDA

View Full Version : Road trips w/ a newly potty trained toddler?

todzwife
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
DD2 is 26 months and about 90% potty trained over the last 10 days or so. Thankfully she seems to have a big bladder because she made it to our regular potty stop and was still in a dry pull up.

We travel a LOT. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this w/ her until she's 100%?

What's in your emergency potty accident kit? Favorite training pants? Etc. She's doing awesome and we did make 1 extra stop for her because she said she needed to go but she didn't.

infomama
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
change of clothes, towel for the car seat in case it gets wet, potty seat with a plastic bag lining the bucket is what we did.

maydaymommy
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Potette!!
http://www.potette.com
It's a portable potty seat that gets lined w/ an absorbant bag.

Love it!

wencit
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Second the Potette suggestion. Also, in the early days of potty training, we used to put a Pull Up OVER DS2's underwear, so that if he did have an accident, all the pee wouldn't mess up his pants, but he'd still get the sensation of being wet.

KrisM
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
For DD, I carried Pull Ups in the car and she'd put one on to pee in if we couldn't get to a bathroom. We had 3 kids in a Malibu, so no real room for a small potty if we were on a trip.

TwinFoxes
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Potette, Potette, Potette! We never did pullups. The girls never seemed to mind the Potette, and it helps a lot. The only time it doesn't come in handy is if you've just passed one of those "next exit 50 miles" signs. :( Luckily the time that happened it was a false alarm.

ZeeBaby
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
We have an suv and just throw the girls potty in the trunk for long trips. I would still do a towel though. After only 10 days the new environment might throw her off.

amldaley
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Potette!!
http://www.potette.com
It's a portable potty seat that gets lined w/ an absorbant bag.

Love it!

:yeahthat:

123LuckyMom
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
We stop every two to three hours, like it or not. DH takes DS to the potty while I nurse DD. We take a potty in the car but try to use regular restrooms whenever possible to reinforce the big boy theme. I carry an extra pair of shorts and undies in the diaper bag. We only use pull ups at night and probably should stop, because they're always dry. If I knew we wouldn't be able to stop for potty breaks and was worried, I'd do the pull up over undies trick. I've picked up DS from preschool and driven him home in wet swimming trunks (from water, not pee) and used a torn open plastic bag between him and the car seat. It works, so I could do the same for an accident, I guess. I'm praying we never have one in the car! Meanwhile I'm looking for a good deal on an extra marathon seat cover just in case!

Mikey0709
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
We also throw the small baby Bjorn potty in the trunk - and use a trick I learned in these boards.... Open a diaper in the bottom of the potty!!! Makes clean up a breeze and don't have to worry about emptying the potty!

Tinochka
07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I put together a bag with a change of clothes, a small Baby Bjorn potty, paper towel, a wet bag, I carried it with me first year around, because my DC didn’t want to use public restrooms. We spent 12 hours in the car last year and my DS2 was just PTed (23 months). As much as I don’t like using Pull-ups, I bought a pack for a road trip. You can put Pull-ups over undies. As for undies my favorite ones are Hanna Andersson, never had dribbling on the floor accident, vs with a Gerber ones it just went through (luckily it was outside). For a car seat I bought a special cover (it was useful ones we had a small accident, because I quickly removed it and a car seat was still dry). I believe I ordered it from OneSteapAhead. Good luck!
There might be accidents, but it’s still easier that to deal with diapers, but it’s my opinion.