PDA

View Full Version : Our recon in Atlanta.

BabyMine
07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
We just finished up our recon in Atlanta to find out if we want to relocate for DH's job. The area was Sandy Springs and Dunwoody,

I asked everyone I met about the area and what they liked or disliked. I got the same answer whether it was a mom with 2 small kids or people that worked around that area. They all said that it's a very fast paced life, people are fake and are always competing with each other.

From where I am we walk around saying hi or at least smile to each other. I didn't have that experience there. It was weird. This is not my first visit to the Atlanta area by far but I have always noticed how closed off people seem to be.

I also think every store that has ever been mentioned on this board was in Dunwoody.

twowhat?
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM
That's disappointing:( Every time I've been in Atlanta I've felt the same way...it feels like the East coast in terms of how "warm" strangers are.

But - I bet within communities there are things to like.

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Things are a bit different in the city. You might like the burbs more. Down here on the south side, people are extremely friendly. Before here, we lived on the north side in Gwinnett- friendly there as well. I complain a lot about how slow it is down here, and how I have to drive to everything, but I wouldn't like living in Sandy Springs.

vludmilla
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know the area but a former coworker of mine moved to Sandy Springs in the last few years and I would say that she and her family were the very ostentatious and competitive types. I recall her stating that they were moving to Atlanta (from the NY metro area) so that they could "live like rock stars". I'm sure she doesn't represent everyone in that area but she was drawn to areas where people may tend to be more superficial and showy.

jess_g
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I am surprised by your observations. The one time I was there everyone seemed realy friendly. The one thing I did not like were the signs about guns. I don't know how it is now but back then carrying one around was very common and this made me a bit nervous. The houses looked nice and the area looked much newer than it is up here in New England. This was in/near Suwanne and I am not sure how close that is to where you where.

Jenn

JTsMom
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Suwanee is a nice, family friendly area. Still close to lots of stuff.

cindys
07-07-2012, 01:35 AM
I would never opt to live in the area you were in...

I like small towney down to earth..

I have found areas such as Dacula, Suwanee and even Canton to be very family friendly and more small townish...

Sorry you were so disappointed :(

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...21, 6 & 3 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Pilotbaby
07-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I grew up in this general area and would be happy to help you find a friendly location close to your work. There are "neighborhoods" that are very friendly with neighborhood pools etc and are great for kids.
Compared to other places I have lived, Atlanta ranks number 1 for me in terms of friendliness so maybe you just need to try some different areas:)
Let me know if I can help!

mctlaw
07-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I must have missed your original post...sorry that you were not thrilled with what you saw. Why did you and DH pick SS/Dunwoody to look in? Those are nice areas with good schools, but not known for being .... down to earth. One big decision is the lifestyle choice of ITP vs. OTP. Maybe once you think about that, some of us can steer you in the right direction! There are certainly plenty of areas where people are friendly! I moved here one year ago (lived in ATL before though) and met and developed friendships with my neighbors in record time.

hellokitty
07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry that you didn't like it. What did your DH think? Do you think that this will sway him to concentrate more on staying in FL?

BabyMine
07-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I grew up in this general area and would be happy to help you find a friendly location close to your work. There are "neighborhoods" that are very friendly with neighborhood pools etc and are great for kids.
Compared to other places I have lived, Atlanta ranks number 1 for me in terms of friendliness so maybe you just need to try some different areas:)
Let me know if I can help!

Thank you for the offer. We are thinking of going back and looking without the kids to get a better feel. We are definitely going to try other areas than SS and Dunwoody.

I must have missed your original post...sorry that you were not thrilled with what you saw. Why did you and DH pick SS/Dunwoody to look in? Those are nice areas with good schools, but not known for being .... down to earth. One big decision is the lifestyle choice of ITP vs. OTP. Maybe once you think about that, some of us can steer you in the right direction! There are certainly plenty of areas where people are friendly! I moved here one year ago (lived in ATL before though) and met and developed friendships with my neighbors in record time.

Here is the original http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=435960

His position is being transferred to Dunwoody so we were looking to live near his job.

I'm sorry that you didn't like it. What did your DH think? Do you think that this will sway him to concentrate more on staying in FL?

DH thought it was ok. I told him to ask the new company what would happen if we decided not to move in 6 months. If that isn't acceptable then DH is going to tell them no and look in FL. I told him we need to at least go back and look without the kids and then make our final choice and he agreed. I am hoping we get the extra 6 months because then he would be telecommuting and get a 20% raise plus we wouldn't feel so rushed.

mctlaw
07-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Babymine,
I bet you can get some info from searching the Citydata site for Atlanta. I'll give it some thought & ask around for you, though. Are you looking for an urban or suburban feel?

tribe pride
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Babymine,
I bet you can get some info from searching the Citydata site for Atlanta. I'll give it some thought & ask around for you, though. Are you looking for an urban or suburban feel?

:yeahthat: The ATL city-data site is very helpful for people considering moving to Atlanta. DH is from Atlanta, we have a lot of family and friends in the city, and debate moving back there (likely ITP) if a job opportunity were to open up.

IMO, Atlanta is pretty fast-paced, unless you're coming from another major city. For the South, it is very fast-paced. The shallowness, superficial, and competitiveness that you observed can definitely be found in parts of the city, including Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. But, there are also parts of those cities (moreso in Sandy Springs, IMO) where the homes are modest and people are down to earth and friendly.

I don't know how far your DH is willing to commute, but if you're looking to live near more transplants, you might consider suburbs like Roswell or Alpharetta. (Johns Creek also has a lot of of transplants, but I get the impression it is a bit more upscale and "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle than the others).

If you want more of an urban feel, Decatur is great, but might be a bit of a commute for your DH (but maybe a reverse commute, and he might be able to take MARTA, I'm not sure). I don't know your budget, but other communities to consider would be northern Buckhead communities like Whittier Village, Garden Hills, Chastain Park, or even Vinings or Smyrna (technically not Buckhead, but close).

Most of elementary schools in Buckhead are very good, but many families send their kids to private schools for middle and high school. Decatur city schools are excellent. Sandy Springs schools are good. I'm not sure about Dunwoody.

I hope that isn't all too confusing. I just wanted to reassure you that there are other communities you can consider outside of SS or Dunwoody if they don't appeal to you. I agree, parts of Atlanta can feel very superficial and money-conscious. It's something I worry about if we end up moving back to the city. But, I have friends who live there who are extremely down to earth and they love their neighborhoods, churches, and schools. So I think you can find your niche, it might just take time. If your DH decides to accept the job, I think I'd rent first for a few months to get a feel for the area, figure out schools, commute, and a neighborhood that feels welcoming.

JTsMom
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
What type of feel do you want?

I'd definitely look at Suwannee. http://www.suwanee.com/

Dacula is probably more commute than you're looking for, but keep it in the back of your mind. They have an awesome library btw. I have some friends up on the NW side (Marietta/Kennesaw) who really love where they live. If it were me, I'd concentrate on this general area.

Alpharetta/John's Creek/parts of Norcross are really pretty, and have excellent schools, but if you want to avoid the competitiveness, they probably aren't ideal. Roswell has some friendly areas from what I've been told. That general area, up to Gwinnett (including some parts of Suwannee near 85), has a ton of traffic though.

Decatur is cool. It's this extremely liberal little pocket of the city. Houses are mostly older and small.

There really is something for everyone around here, it just depends on what you want, the commute, and your budget. We've got small town southern, big city new money, and everything in between! If you want land, we've got it. Condo in the city? Got it. Middle of nowhere, in the middle of everything, best of both worlds- got it.

I'd pretty much eliminate anything east of the perimeter. South is going to be a heck of a commute by the time you get to the more desirable areas, so I'd eliminate that as well, unless DH has to fly a lot.

cindys
07-07-2012, 11:42 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Dacula, lived there for 10yrs...

But as a PP said, it can be a hike if you are working downtown..

I took me over an hr to get home from work somedays.

We are house hunting and because I work in Alpharetta we are looking out in Canton, Cumming or Dawsonville..Great schools and we like a town thats small and homey ...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...21,