PDA

View Full Version : Skiers - Family Friendly Mountain in Vermont

SunshineWedding
07-06-2012, 11:54 PM
We are looking into planning a family friendly ski vacation in Vermont this winter. We have never skied there and there are a LOT of mountains. I know its the middle of summer but can anyone offer some winter fun advice? Okemo, Killington, Mt Snow, Jays Peak ... where should we go?

TIA

Starfish
07-07-2012, 07:27 AM
I've heard good things re: Smuggler's Notch resort.

Philly Mom
07-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I've heard good things re: Smuggler's Notch resort.

Me too. Same with Jay's Peak. I have never been to either. As kid we went to Stratton often. It was good because if the snow was bad we could go to the outlets in Manchester. Killington is the largest and hardest I think but might also have the most variety. I went in middle school for a field trip. Finally, Stowe has some good off mountain activities, snow shoeing, cross country and the Ben & Jerry's factory.

Melbel
07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
We recently stayed at Jay Peak and the kids absolutely loved the indoor water park. Per locals, the ski runs are primarily blues/blacks, with not so many green runs. I think they were working on a new area though, that may have easier runs.

When I asked about good ski resorts for beginners (my kids have yet to see snow, let alone ski), I was advised that Killington and Sugarbush would be good options, but I have yet to research either. We will likely be returning to VT in the winter for another doctor's appointment so we would love to hear more advice from others.

captobey
07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
If you are looking for kids ski programs, smuggs is the best (smugglers notch). They are consistently rated among the best for family ski vacations. We have loved skiing there. They have alots of kids activities at night. Also, they have 3 mountains-one of which is almost all greens so its great for the kids lesson programs. We have also been to Jay and had a great time. The waterpark is great but it can get crowded in the winter. A friend put their kids in the lesson program there for a day but didn't love it. We've never done lessons there so I can't comment myself on them.
For family fun and great family skiing, I would definitely do smuggs.

SkyrMommy
07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Smuggler's Notch would be my first pick, the lessons and kids programs are better than Jay IMO. Jay does have great off mountain activities, but as a PP said it can get crowded. Steer clear of Killington until you have an older family, it's a big mountain... lots to do, but geared older. Okemo is nice and does have some nice off mountain activities, I don't know much about their lesson programs though.

I'm biased too, but have you considered Whiteface over in my neck of the woods? Lake Placid with the Olympic venues can be fun and the kids programs at the mountain is great (many friends have been instructors there)

SunshineWedding
07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks all! I will look into Smugglers Notch. Keep the suggestions coming ...

lmwbasye
07-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Look into Mad River. Smaller scale but Super family friendly. I grew up on that mountain.

marie
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Look into Mad River. Smaller scale but Super family friendly. I grew up on that mountain.

ski it if you can!

OP - some questions: what age(s) are your DC? Will they be skiing/riding or will you be putting them into daycare? Will you be going during a holiday week?

SunshineWedding
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Maire - it will not be vacation week, the kids will be aged 5-9 and we will not be using day care - would love any pointers/advice

TIA