PDA

View Full Version : Ergo with infants

Pilotbaby
07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Does anyone know at what weight or other requirements you can use the Ergo without the infant insert? I cannot find the information on their website. Our daughter is 3 1/2 months and has pretty good head control. She weighs just over 12 pounds.
TIA

crl
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I think different people have different experiences? Dd had good head control, etc (rolled over at 4 weeks and 4 days for example) and she was big (90th percentile in height and 80th in weight). But I could not get the ergo to work without the insert until she was six months. (ETA. And I couldn't get the insert to work either, though I had the old burrito style insert .)

Loved, loved, loved my pikkolo and freehand mei tai instead.

Catherine

Pilotbaby
07-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I think different people have different experiences? Dd had good head control, etc (rolled over at 4 weeks and 4 days for example) and she was big (90th percentile in height and 80th in weight). But I could not get the ergo to work without the insert until she was six months. (ETA. And I couldn't get the insert to work either, though I had the old burrito style insert .)

Loved, loved, loved my pikkolo and freehand mei tai instead.

Catherine

Thank you. We almost got the pikkolo but got the Beco instead. She doesn't love it though. Just tried forward facing today in that and she seems to like it better. It is pretty bulky though and someone gave us a nice broken in ergo so would like to try that but don't want to do it until it's safe.

BabyBearsMom
07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
We did 4 mos with DD1 but she was a 95th percentile baby with phenomenal head control. DD2 is 10 wks, but much smaller than Dd1 and I don't think we will do it until she is 5 or 6 months. I'm loving my Moby for now.

lizzywednesday
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
My DD was around 5 months before I felt comfortable using the Ergo without the insert - she ended up curled chin-to-chest in it the one time I used it instead of my wrap.

Frankly, I'd try it and if you get the chin-to-chest curling, stick with the insert or try a (woven) wrap.

Good luck!

crl
07-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Thank you. We almost got the pikkolo but got the Beco instead. She doesn't love it though. Just tried forward facing today in that and she seems to like it better. It is pretty bulky though and someone gave us a nice broken in ergo so would like to try that but don't want to do it until it's safe.

I think it is worth a try. If she fits comfortably and safely then use it. One of my problems with the ergo was that my dd couldn't get her legs out (the pikkolo cinches down and I used a scarf to cinch down the mei tei so for both of those she had her legs out) and when I frogged them she would push down with her feet. It felt very unsafe to me, like she was going to get her feet between the belt and me and slide down or something.

Catherine