PDA

View Full Version : How much of your house is clean right now?

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
As I swept the steps down to our basement (used for laundry, storage, workshop...but not regular living), I thought about how it's probably one of only 4 times I have done that in 8 years. It made me wonder how other people do with really taking care of every space of their homes.

Think of any catch all rooms or spaces that you have- those count against you. :) I'm looking to see if rooms are picked up, organized and relatively clean. For the purpose of my poll, I'm giving a fair amount of leeway and saying that the room just needs to have been cleaned in the last 2-3 months and there is nothing, other than dust bunnies, currently living in there. Rooms don't have to be model home spotless to count as neat and organized...use your judgement on deciding if you qualify the space as picked up and organized as I know we all have different standards!

Crawl spaces have to be at least organized clutter to count but you don't have to clean if it's a dirt floor. Completely unusable living space doesn't count against you.

If you want an extra challenge, how long would it take you to have every single area of your home picked up, clean and organized? How likely is it to happen all at once? If every area of your home is tidy, how do you do it? :)

KrisM
07-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I could get my downstairs living areas looking nice in 20 minutes. The kids have stuff out now though. The bedrooms are worse. The basement is usually pretty nice. The garage is typically organized enough to park 2 cars in it (a 2-car garage).

baymom
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
My house looks pretty good in all of the living spaces right now...just don't open some of the closets! The garage is well organized. It's mainly because we've had relatives visiting over the weekend, though. Generally, it's not so picked-up, but also wouldn't really ever need more then 20 minutes to make it guest worthy. Three closets are a problem though....mainly because they house too many things I need to toss, donate or sell but haven't gotten around to dealing with.

ourbabygirl
07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Bedrooms look o.k. (probably because we spend so little time in them during the day), bathrooms look fine, but the kitchen, play room, and 'front room' (t.v., couch, kids' bookshelves, etc.) are pretty messy. It's Saturday, we don't have anyone coming over, & DH is gone for the day, so I don't see any need to clean it til bedtime. :)

queenmama
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm solidly in the "none" category! Thank goodness I have a scoundrel of a dog to keep guests away right now because I'd be mortified to let anyone across the threshold.

I'm doing well to keep MYSELF clean right now, much less my house.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

roseyloxs
07-07-2012, 03:07 PM
None. I have to spend a day picking up and cleaning before I allow anyone to come over. Being pregnant has made it worse but I have never been good about keeping the house sparkling.

ellies mom
07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
The downstairs of the house (living, dining, powder room and kitchen) is maybe 30 minutes from being tidy. The upstairs is a huge mess though. I'm in the middle of organizing stuff so we are at the point where everything is at its worse. The last few weeks have been hectic with work, illness and travel so it is taking forever. Plus every time I make a dent in one section the girls tear up another. So I would say I'm a few solid days from getting that back under control (and of course that depends on cooperation from those people live with).

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
In all the years I have lived in this house, I have never successfully had all parts of my house clean at once. It annoys me. Best I can do is when we have had cleaners come and 2 of the 3 floors get done! If I start working somewhere, the family is in the other spaces making it all messy.

belovedgandp
07-07-2012, 03:44 PM
99% of the time I'd welcome anyone into my home without hesitation on the our main living area.

95% of the time they could go upstairs and look in any bedroom or bath without embarrassment.

And yes, my kids live here. There are Legos in the dining room and Geotrax all over the living room, but they are playing with them right now.

I said all areas but not storage areas were presentable in the poll. We just finished a big home improvement project so the garage and basement have not been completely put away yet. About 1/2 the year there is a major project going on that would make it messy by my standards but anyone else would be fine.

new_mommy25
07-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Living room, kitchen, bathroom etc. are good. There are toys/art supplies out but they can be picked up quickly. So is the kids' room as I make them clean it. My room is not clean at the moment as I am in the midst of reorganizing. Patio and garage are full of crap.

citymama
07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
But there's no :hysterical: option! So I couldn't vote.

SnuggleBuggles
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
But there's no :hysterical: option! So I couldn't vote.

:p There almost was!!

ilfaith
07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
We just moved in to our new home two weeks ago...so we are a combination of very neat and organized (kitchen, most bedrooms, living and family rooms, some bathrooms), not quite put together yet (other bathrooms, DH's home office, Bonus/kids' playroom), and filled with boxes (dining room, one bedroom, garage). We don't have furniture yet in our dining room or in what will be DS2's bedroom, so those have been our first and second floor staging/storage areas. We have a three-car garage, but at the moment, can only fit two cars inside.

And my laundry room is a mess at the moment...but I am in the middle of doing washes, so there are piles of dirty towels on the floor and piles (some folded, some not) of clean clothes on the counter.

almostamom
07-07-2012, 04:41 PM
The living areas and bedrooms are all clean and tidy (it helped that DH and the dog were out of town all week!) The 2 car garage has nothing in it but cars and an extra fridge. The 1 car garage is a mess, but that's DH's area and I don't touch it - it has tools, bikes, extra furniture, decorations, etc. in it. There are 2 hall closets and a guest room closet that I really want to tackle. The doors close, but nothing is where *I* like it to be. The playroom is clean and tidy, but the toys definitely need thinning. I think that's our project this week! If someone came over right now, we'd be okay, but you caught us on a good day :)

ahisma
07-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm prepping for the bar. We just got over hand foot and mouth. We're in the middle of a heat wave and the a/c went out. Oh, and DS has MRSA (from a trip to the cottage - not my messy house! We're cluttered, not filthy!)

I voted None of my house would qualify as neat, organized or tidy

hillview
07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
living, sitting, playroom, kitchen and dining room are all ready to have people over. the kids bedrooms are okay -- not messy just need to get rid of 2 older dressers and make the ikea cabinet so a little chaotic (too much furniture), our bedroom is ok --- I wouldn't be horrified to show it to someone who wanted a tour but it isn't ready for its close up.

Our closets and storage areas and basement is NOT at all ready.

hellokitty
07-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Let's just say that the last time that 100% of my house was clean was before I had kids. My house used to be pristine until I had kids. Right now, due to the horribly hot weather, the house looks crappier than ever, since we've been hiding inside with the a/c and being home, basically means that the house just keeps getting messier.

KrisM
07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
We moved to this house when DS1 was 16 months old. It has never been completely clean since we moved in. I am hoping that when DS2 goes to kindergarten, I can get it that way!

AngelaS
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
My living areas are typically picked up and company ready. Our basement is finished and much of it is playroom so it's typically clean enough too. The girls' bedrooms were vacuumed two weeks ago so they are clean but could use some tidying.

Storage areas are okay, but could be tidier.

Overall, it's decent around here :)

lalasmama
07-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm about 15 minutes away from guest worthiness...

That being said, please don't open my bedroom door. And please don't look to the "storage area" in the back of the kitchen, because I've been stacking this-n-that there for the last 2 years.

Bathroom could use a good cleaning (haven't mopped it well in quite a while, apart from the "wipe the floor with the wet towel after DD forgot to close the shower curtain" "mopping").

doberbrat
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
:bag I think I'm too embarrassed but its more like weeks than days. :sulkoff:

trickyhop
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Neat, tidy?:hysterical: Mother of a newborn and an almost two! The kitchen is clean and cookable, the bathroom is clean. I agree we need another category.

kijip
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
We're good but not great. All bathrooms and floors were done today. Kitchen is clean. Boys room is clean. But we have a row of toys we culled out of the boys room in the living room waiting to go to the garage- hopefully that will be done tonight. And my office is the staging area for our garage sale that was rained out a few weeks ago. So it is full of stuff to sell and donate. Enter at your own risk. My entry way is stacked with camping gear but that is all being loaded into the car tonight for our trip tomorrow.

lizzywednesday
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I mixed my answer.

To me, the living areas are tidy and can be company-ready with little effort.

I concede that the bedrooms are disaster areas.

I also concede that the 2nd & 3rd floor landings are catastrophes.

But I don't need to hear that the house is "a mess" after putting in 8 hours of work PLUS trying to figure out dinner and amusement with a 2 year old.

flashy09
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I just had the maid service in a few days ago so everything is relatively clean, but OMG so messy. I hate clutter, but I seem to live in it constantly.

o_mom
07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
The main areas are almost spotless... the "hidden" areas are somewhat messy. However, it's only because we had company over the weekend and then were gone all day. It will be a disaster again by tonight.