PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Vacation nightmare?

ray7694
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I posted about my Fb not wanting to go on Vaca with other ppl after he said it would b fun. We just drove 15 hours got a speeding ticket and need brake pads. Before we leave.

It is a three room condo but 11 ppl is a lot. I didn't even think about it.

My Fb is miserable and wishes we had our own room. I am out the money I spent. Would u get a hotel room next door which is expensive or suck it up. Six more night?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2012, 12:04 AM
So, you + the kids are all in 1 room? Is that what you mean? What is the sleeping arrangement?

ray7694
07-08-2012, 12:12 AM
It is a 3 bedroom condo with a pull our queen for the kids. One set kids is on a blowup. It's a lot of commotion and my dh likes to do his own thing and they want to do everything together.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Send him to a hotel?

The first night is always annoying on those kinds of trips, imo. I'd stick it out and decide tomorrow night.

amldaley
07-08-2012, 12:19 AM
I would stick it out tonight and see how things settle in tomorrow. If the chaos continues, you can always get a hotel tomorrow. Then you'd be able to say you honestly tried. You'll have an excuse of "DH is not feeling well and needs more rest than this rambunctious camp will allow" rather than "DH is pissed off and does not want to hang with you."

You never know, things could mellow out tomorrow after the initial excitement wears off!

infomama
07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I feel for you but I would probably stick it out.

ahisma
07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Can the kids all go into the living room? Maybe go to bed in the bedroom, but get moved when adults go to bed?

That's a crazy hard sleeping arrangement! When you posted, I was thinking big beach house.

We do multiple families at the cottage with ease, but that's 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath and a living room w/ sunroom. Kids don't share rooms with adults - they pack in together.

HannaAddict
07-08-2012, 12:33 AM
It sounds awful. No way could I stand that close of quarters and when people want to do everything together, nothing gets done in our pre-kids one couples group vacation experience. The saving grace there was it was a huge place with plenty of room. I would seriously look into a hotel room, at least for sleeping time. Sorry!!

ETA I would look into the hotel room tomorrow, not tonight. I'd gut it out one night. How many baths? Shared bath would be a deal breaker too (shared with adults). I know I'm an outlier on this board too and don't like to stay with friends but prefer hotels,etc. so that's my bias. Doesn't sound like a vacation with no personal private space. Good luck.

ahisma
07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Another idea - from when we DO pack in too many people at the cottage. Take time and do your own thing. Pack up and GO! You'll be super refreshed and the communal time will be easier.

We've done (cottage is on Lake MI, so different geography):
canoeing
movies
mini golf
playground
bike rental
bookstore
yacht club day pass
bowling
picnics

really, anything. Just pack up and get the h&$* out of dodge for the day. It will help a ton!

wellyes
07-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd stick it out with living quarters but do your own thing during the day.
That is, if that's what would make YOU happy. Don't do it to appease The Grouch, since I'm guessing he will not be happy on this trip no matter what.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-08-2012, 01:03 AM
The first night is always annoying on those kinds of trips, imo. I'd stick it out and decide tomorrow night.

:yeahthat:

the first night on these kind of trips is always the worst. when we went on that trip with Monterey with 2 other friends/their kids, it was crazy the first night...we got there late, kids were overtired and a little overwhelmed...DH was in grumpy mood. it was a little cottage in the woods with 3 tiny rooms..DH, and I were all in one small room with DS and DD. i think the kids woke up at least 5x the first night..i barely slept that night. The next night was way better. And yes we went on our own to do some things which was nice.

I would stick it out the first night at least. And as other PP said, there is no rule you all have to hang out together 24/7 during the day. I remember one day on our trip having to come back to let the kids nap (while the others stayed out and did stuff) and it was so nice to have a quiet hour to ourselves!

California
07-08-2012, 01:12 AM
The odds are high that at least one spouse will be quite grumpy after that long of a car ride. Especially with kids in the car. Try to get some sleep and see if you all feel better in the morning.

Philly Mom
07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
It sounds awful. No way could I stand that close of quarters and when people want to do everything together, nothing gets done in our pre-kids one couples group vacation experience. The saving grace there was it was a huge place with plenty of room. I would seriously look into a hotel room, at least for sleeping time. Sorry!!

ETA I would look into the hotel room tomorrow, not tonight. I'd gut it out one night. How many baths? Shared bath would be a deal breaker too (shared with adults). I know I'm an outlier on this board too and don't like to stay with friends but prefer hotels,etc. so that's my bias. Doesn't sound like a vacation with no personal private space. Good luck.

I would say the same thing but I don't like sharing bathrooms except perhaps with my siblings but then only for a night or two.

KrisM
07-08-2012, 11:42 AM
When you first posted, I figured everyone had a bed. We often do 11 people at a cottage that is 1000 sq ft. It's 3 families (ours, my brothers, my parents). But, there are beds for all. Our bedroom has enough to sleep the 5 of us. So, kids go to bed away from teh living room. We do share the kitchen, family room, and bathrooms, but it works.

Anyhow, I'd stick it out 1 day and see if it gets better. I might do the hotel if it doesn't.

TwinFoxes
07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm feeling more generous toward your DH/BF (I don't know what Fb meant). Not to be harsh, but this sounds like a kind of poorly thought out trip. 11 people in three bedrooms with kids in the common space sounds awful to me. I wouldn't mind doing stuff with everyone during the day, but I like having space to recharge at night. I don't think it will get better personally, I think nerves will fray in such a cramp space. Can you afford the hotel? If so, I'd vote for that. If not, don't put yourself into debt for a vacation, but vow to not put your DH (and you!) in this situation again. I hope it all works out and you have fun. :)