PDA

View Full Version : What do you store things in (in your basement or attic)?

ourbabygirl
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Do you use Rubbermaid-type plastic totes?
Where would be the best place to get them? Somewhere like Target or Walmart, or The Container Store? TCS is harder for me to get to, but I figure it would have much more available, though maybe a big box store would have them cheaper? I'm thinking clear plastic so I can see in them easily.

I'd like to stack them on top of one another and put them onto some sort of shelves in our basement (which we need to build, whether or not we finish our basement). Any experience with this? What did you do in your own house?

Thanks for sharing!

liz
07-08-2012, 08:52 AM
We store things in our attic using clear plastic containers. Clear being the operative word- it's soooo much easier to spot things. I usually wait until I find a good sale at Target and buy a bunch. Oh, and we use plastic shelving (bought at Lowes, Home Depot etc) for items that don't need to be in a container. Lol, we make sections eg Toys, Housewares, Kids Clothing etc so it also makes it easier to find things......doesn't always work, but it helps :)

ourbabygirl
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks!
What 'quart' size would everyone recommend for the boxes?

crl
07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
:hysterical: Wish I had an attic or basementment to store things in. The very small outdoor shed area that comes with this pace has papers, etc in big plastic tote bins to keep them dry. Ours are pretty big, too big if you ask me because they are very, very heavy and because it is harder to organize in such big bins.

Catherine

liz
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks!
What 'quart' size would everyone recommend for the boxes?

I use the 66 qt size, they seem to be the most versatile

sophiesmom03
07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I get them at Target when on sale. Clear except I do have some red andgreen ones for Christmas and an orange onefor Fall decorating. :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Mostly cardboard boxes leftover from moves! Some stuff is in plastic bins. I buy at Target or IKEA.

DualvansMommy
07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I store them in a mixture of Rubbermaid containers; green for fall decorations, red for Xmas stuff and purple for extra clothes.

I just started organizing and storing in clear plastic containers; particularly of my kitchenware needs. That made my life so much easier!

kijip
07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
We got clear plastic bins with attached black latching lids. They stack and are in our garage on wood shelves. I have labels on each for contents:

Clothes for Finn (handme downs that are too big)
2 for out of season clothes
Birthday (cake decorating stuff, Wilton cake pans, ribbon, cards, candles)
Gardening
Camping (this is just the small stuff that does not have it's own case or sack)
Easter (baskets, egg decorating stuff)
Halloween (costumes, treat buckets, pumpkin carving stuff)
Several red ones for Christmas
House/tools (stuff that does not fit on the tool box, electric drill etc)

We have had the Christmas one for awhile but the clear ones are new. Used my Costco cash back for about 12 of them total this last January (also used elsewhere in house). They were $7 each. I like that I can't lose the lids and I can see the contents. Very sturdy. We use one for our dry goods/shelf stable food when car camping.

LD92599
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I have clothes in blue bins; small holidays in clear and christmas in huge rubbermaid gray containers with hinged lids.

I have a tiny but fairly well organized ( as of yesterday ) basement store closet. Fogure out which containers you'll use and the lay out the shelves based on it.

I love the clear container store ones too and have a lot!