PDA

View Full Version : Fun Summer Poll

katydid1971
07-08-2012, 06:10 PM
I know that most of us don't allow our kids to have highly sweetened carbonated beverages but since is picnic season I was wondering what your "generic" term for these drinks is.

ilfaith
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I grew up in the land of "soda"...and it is still what I hear most where I live now (although according to the linked map, generic "Coke" is equally popular). When a friend of mine went to college in the midwest, she was told there was a "pop machine" in the residence hall lounge, and she had no idea what people were talking about.

http://ideas.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/the-soda-vs-pop-map/

indigo99
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
It is definitely a regional thing. Ppl around here (in the south) often say Coke regardless of whether it's actually coke. That bugs me though so I usually will say soft drinks.

eta: Wow! I just checked out the map linked above. I wonder how many fit with that map and how many do not.

crl
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I say soda. Dad was army and I lived all over, but my parents are from Missouri so that's where most of my speech patterns come from. My grandfather, born and raised in mid-Missouri always said soda pop.

Dh says soda and he was also a military brat, with parents from Baltimore (aka Bal'mor).

And as an aside I love Mexican coke which has no HFCS in it. I know most soda does these days, but not all of it!

Catherine

KrisM
07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
It is definitely a regional thing. Ppl around here (in the south) often say Coke regardless of whether it's actually coke. That bugs me though so I usually will say soft drinks.

eta: Wow! I just checked out the map linked above. I wonder how many fit with that map and how many do not.

We fit. I am from Michigan and call it 'pop'. DH grew up in Boston and now says 'soda', but used to call it 'tonic'.

We drink it, but not with HFCS :)

wellyes
07-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I call it pop.

katydid1971
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I grew up saying "pop" or "coke". I moved to California and changed to "soda" because I was made fun of.
Catherine, I know that there are drinks out there without HFCS but I was trying to make clear that I was talking about the beverage type as a whole. ;)

lalasmama
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I voted other, because I use all of the above, with no thought to why or when.

maestramommy
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I grew up saying pop, then moved out west where everyone said soda. So now that's what I say.

theriviera
07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I grew up saying pop. My area now is soda but I for the most part still say pop :)

123LuckyMom
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
DH and I both say soda. We've convinced DS that he hates anything fizzy, so in front of him we just say, "It's fizzy. You won't like it.". This has worked! Now if he pokes his nose into a cup and fizz hits, he avoids it like the plague. It also means I get to keep all the seltzer for myself! ;)

TwinFoxes
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm from SoCal and say "coke" or occasionally "soda". I've converted DH from pop. That sounds so 50s to me!

westgre
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm from the land of pop. But, I lived SC & AL, where all of it is Coke. I found that so confusing.

ourbabygirl
07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I say 'pop,' though the state next to us says 'soda,' then after that, I believe the surrounding states (including where I went to college) call it pop again, until you get to the east coast (one of my roommates was from Philly and called it 'soda').
I always thought of it like bubble gum; we don't call bubble gum 'bubble' for short, we call it 'gum,' so why would we call soda pop 'soda' for short? ;)

wellyes
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm from SoCal and say "coke" or occasionally "soda". I've converted DH from pop. That sounds so 50s to me!

Nah, but I do think 'sodapop' is 50s sounding.

To me 'soda' sounds like someone on a sitcom would say. Not even modern sitcoms, either. The Cosby Show or Full House.2

JElaineB
07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I usually say soda. Growing up we said soda mostly, though often it was "tonic" (New England). I moved to Oregon and everyone there said "pop" which made me cringe, but eventually I started using it to blend in, then I got used to it. Now I live in the midwest and most people say soda, but I occassionally hear pop as well. I do ver rarely say and hear "soda pop" here as well.

hbridge
07-08-2012, 09:48 PM
As a military "brat", I found that sticking with "soda" was the safest since it's different regionally, but everyone understands "soda" without making fun of you.

It's actually "tonic" in New England which totally confused me when we lived there :).

daisymommy
07-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Yeah that!
And fwiw, DH is from Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam&Clay
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Born and raised in VA where it is all Coke.

randomkid
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Grew up Southern, so everything has always been "Coke", but as an adult, I try to say soda. It still feels odd to me and my first tendency is to say Coke. DH is from Michigan and grew up calling it "Pop", but now says Coke or Soda after living here 20+ years.

My grandfather was from the deep south and called it "Soad-y Pop" :)