PDA

View Full Version : Help with ibuprofen for ear infection and fever

fedoragirl
07-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Almost 10 month old DS was diagnosed with an ear infection yesterday. He has had a high fever since Fri. and I have been giving him ibuprofen every 6 hours. Every time I let that time period lapse, his fever climbs to 104--105. That scares me even though I know that the body is fighting the infection.
We started antibiotics today because ped told us to wait a day or two to see if he's get better on his own. However, the fever keeps coming back. He is sleeping and I will check his temp. later. Should I give him another dose of ibuprofen or leave him alone? Some web sites are telling me not to treat the fever if it doesn't bother baby. Well, I would need to wake him to give him his medicine so I am a little ambivalent about this.

ETA: I don't have Tylenol and ped. said that ibuprofen should be enough. So, I can't alternate between the two medicines.

lalasmama
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
IMO, never wake a baby if the condition the medicine is needed for isn't bothering them.

Of course, there are times when medicine is very time sensitive, and the baby is lethargic (versus normal/sick sleeping), and you need to wake baby up... but, if he's sleeping well, I wouldn't wake him up to give him the medicine. Sleep helps the body fight the infection too!

Jacksmommy2b
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
If he isn't bothered by the fever, I wouldn't wake him.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

fedoragirl
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks! I am not waking him. He's sleeping well. He feels warm but he's not burning.

Tondi G
07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
chances are he will wake up if he gets too hot or if the pain returns. I'd just wait for him to wake and give him a dose of motrin then!