PDA

View Full Version : Texting without a cell phone

crl
07-09-2012, 12:38 AM
My cell phone reception is lousy these days at my house (AT&T lost a tower due to a major construction project and in a total fail didn't plan ahead to replace it. Last I heard they were still scrambling for permits. Idiots.). But I use a couple of teenage babysitters who prefer to communicate by text.

Is there some easy way I can send and receive texts from them without using my cell?

Thanks!
Catherine

MaddiesMommy
07-09-2012, 01:11 AM
I vaguely remember my husband telling me that you can send texts via emails, so I googled it. Here's a link explaining how: http://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/

crl
07-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks! Hmm, so I would need to know their carrier, right?

Catherine

MaddiesMommy
07-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks! Hmm, so I would need to know their carrier, right?

Catherine

Yeah, that's the only tricky part....

trickyhop
07-09-2012, 05:52 AM
You can text from an apple itouch. You do need to be in a place that has WIFI.

amom526
07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
You can text from google voice, and I think you can even text from gchat

crl
07-09-2012, 09:06 AM
You can text from an apple itouch. You do need to be in a place that has WIFI.

Have an iPad and wifi. Is it the messages icon or some other way?

Thanks!
Catherine

TwinFoxes
07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
You can text from google mail.

ETA: Here's how...

http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106015

Globetrotter
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I can send texts from iPad via my Comcast account.

Eta it's in the infinity mobile app.

BabbyO
07-09-2012, 10:09 AM
You can text from google mail.

ETA: Here's how...

http://support.google.com/chat/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=106015

I do this all the time. However, you may want to let the people know you use it. I don't think it identifies you so the text may come across as coming from some random person/number. I always sign my name, too...it helps.

Ok, so I was curious what it looked like and this is what I got on my phone when I texted myself from Gmail:

From:555-555-5555 (Gmail) [email protected] send you an SMS from Gmail. You can reply to this msg or reply STOP to cancel. Reply HELP for help.Msg& Data rates may apply. g.co/gmailsms

Second msg = the text I sent and my gmail address.

The number was an actual phone number, but not anything I recognized

Penny's Pappa
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks!
Catherine

iMessages will only work from one Apple mobile device to another and they both have to be running iOS 5.0 or later. So, if they have an iPhone/Touch/Pad, you're all set. You just need to add their contact info to your iPad. But if they don't, you'll probably have to resort to sending SMS via e-mail (as PPs have mentioned), or just communicate by e-mail directly if your babysitters can accommodate you in that way.

ha98ed14
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks!
Catherine

If you don't want to use the Google Voice app, try the "Text Me" app or the "Text Me 2" app in the itunes store. IIRC, it will assign your iPod/iPad a phone number you can use for texting.

tabegle
07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Skype also lets you send text messages, but I think there is a small fee.

Zansu
07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
google their cell number and "carrier." Verizon is 10 digit cell [email protected]

crl
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you all!

Catherine

echoesofspring
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Skype also lets you send text messages, but I think there is a small fee.
:yeahthat:

I don't know about the fee, since I pay a nominal amount every month (couple bucks) anyhow to be able to call real phone numbers.