PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite DSLR Class (online) enrolls tonight

BayGirl2
07-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I always see posts here about learning to use your DSLR camera. I took Candice Stringham's "Oh Shoot" class to learn and it made a world of difference. Its online, but very interactive, with a forum and daily emails. I recommend the extended class where she gives feedback on your homework. She's a Mom as are most of the students so a lot of the examples and discussions involve photographing children and families. I was shooting in manual by the end of the class and getting compliments, and I have since taken her two other classes on Flash and Portraiture.

There's a new session that opens for enrollment tonight: http://www.jessicasprague.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id=14&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=310
It fills up fast so you'll want to enroll quickly if you're interested.

kcimato
07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Thank you for posting this. I'll be signing up tonight.

94bruin
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I wholeheartedly agree! I took Candice's class and loved it!

thomma
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I have the summer off...perfect project for me!
thanks! :)

babyonway
07-09-2012, 01:08 PM
When are the classes? Are they every night? What is the time commitment for the class part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

lines
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for posting about the class. Do you need any extra lenses for the class? I only have the lens my dslr came with...

BayGirl2
07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry, I've been offline since I posted this. :-(

You can take the class with a kit lens (the one that comes with the camera) but I believe she recommends getting a Prime (fixed lens). She gives good suggestions before the class starts on which type and where to buy. You probably could get by without one, but you will want one once you start seeing the difference, especially on indoor pictures. I believe I spent under $200 for my Canon 1.8 50mm lens. I've also rented lenses from BorrowLenses.com and that's a great way to try them out.

The homework/time commitment is not too bad, but you do have to commit some time. She sends an email daily and there is a Forum for support. There's one main lesson a week due on Sun or Mon night. There are also optional creative assignments. So you can spend a lot or a little time on it, but obviously more time = more practice. I had trouble keeping up in one of the classes because DD was a newborn. But if I carved out a little time each week its not too bad. Definitely manageable and flexible.

HTH. Good luck for those signing up, it fills up fast.

babyonway
07-23-2012, 11:15 AM
When are the classes? I have emailed them a couple of times with questions about the time the classes are etc and never got a response. Is this the type of CS I could expect? I was hoping to find out how it works before I signed up and I have heard crickets from them :(