PDA

View Full Version : how to get cat pee out of child's life jacket

JustMe
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I had bought dd a life jacket at Costco (and just noticed last time I was there they were all out). Well, it was hanging on a chair to dry and I guess ds knocked it down and didn't pick it up. One of our cats thinks most material-based things that are on the floor are there for her use. So, now there is some cat pee on it. It actually is not drenched or really, really bad (sorry if TMI), but there is definitely that distinct odor. It says no dry cleaning and I assume I can't put it in the washing machine? I do have one of the sprays but have never found it that great...but I may try it once it dries. Any ideas? Thanks!

Dd really likes this life jacket.

brittone2
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Nature's Miracle or BioKleen backout-enzyme cleaners are great for human or animal biological messes.

That is assuming it wouldn't harm the function of the vest in any way. I don't know for sure. I assume it would be fine but maybe someone else will know.

marie
07-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Nature's Miracle worked for us on a car seat (including the foam under the cover). (I *think* it was the regular Nature's Miracle and not the one especially for cats.)

JBaxter
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Natures Miracle wash it good then leave it out in the sun.

JustMe
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone!

Just a question about this--

Natures Miracle wash it good then leave it out in the sun.

Wash it, how? By hand with Nature's Miracle? In the washing machine with or without NM? Thanks!

JBaxter
07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
"I" would soak it good with NM let it sit for a hour or so then wash it in hot < maybe with a couple towels just to keep it from getting banged around to much> w/ regular laundry soap and if you can a vinegar rinse. Hang it in the sun for as long as you can.

MamaKath
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Just a question about this--

Wash it, how? By hand with Nature's Miracle? In the washing machine with or without NM? Thanks!
Do you have a tub? I would soak it in there with NM or with white vinegar.

JustMe
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you have a tub? I would soak it in there with NM or with white vinegar.

Yes, I have a tub---but, now I am really confused. Do you mean NM, white vinegar, and water? Because I can't imagine filling the tub with NM and white vinegar only, that would be a lot of NM and white vinegar!

Feeling very dense now, as I know I am missing something.

MamaKath
07-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Yes, I have a tub---but, now I am really confused. Do you mean NM, white vinegar, and water? Because I can't imagine filling the tub with NM and white vinegar only, that would be a lot of NM and white vinegar!

Feeling very dense now, as I know I am missing something.
I understand the feeling, lol! I meant with water. Either white vinegar and water or NM (poured on the spot), then in water. I am cheap, have white vinegar at home and that is where I typically start. ;)

twowhat?
07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
I would pour Nature's Miracle on the spot, squeeze to work it completely through the foam, let it sit for a few hours, and then wash well and let dry in full sun. Had to do that when DD2 peed on her LON chair and it soaked all through the foam - yuck.

JustMe
07-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Okay, got it now. Off to soak in NM and maybe white vinegar too (I have both). Ugh, it went from smellling just a little in the morning to absolutel reaking! I saturated the spot with NM and will wash and put in the sun in the morning..but I may be looking at buying a new life jacket. Not such a big deal if only dd wasn't so excited about it when I gave it to her yesterday, and Costco did seem to be out now.

OKKiddo
07-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Okay, got it now. Off to soak in NM and maybe white vinegar too (I have both). Ugh, it went from smellling just a little in the morning to absolutel reaking! I saturated the spot with NM and will wash and put in the sun in the morning..but I may be looking at buying a new life jacket. Not such a big deal if only dd wasn't so excited about it when I gave it to her yesterday, and Costco did seem to be out now.

I have good experience with Oxyclean and Vinegar combined together...but when I do it I use a whole gallon of vinegar (or two) at a time. A few scoops of powdered Oxy with the vinegar and it foams like crazy (pour enough vinegar to coat item while holding it down with your hand so it doesn't float away) and sprinkle the powdered Oxy over it. Let it sit in a soaking bin for a few hours until the foams pretty much gone and rinse it out.

I've used this for potty training clothing (that darn zipper area that still smells after it's washed, lol), sweat stains in t shirts, on the carpet where a cat peed with previous tenants, etc.