PDA

View Full Version : $%$^# rats

niccig
07-09-2012, 01:49 PM
2007 - ate wiring harness in my car. Cost $1500 + rental car for 10 days
2011 - climbed up the dryer vent and got stuck in the fan. Cost $150 and grossed out the repairman
2012 - ate wiring in my car AGAIN. Cost, unknown.

Moral: do not buy a house in a canyon with neighbours that have ivy in their front yard (rat condos). And to my knowledge they ivy loving neighbors have never had rat issues, because they are all in my freaking yard!

Weekly task: set rat traps and check engine compartment for signs of a nest.

pinkmomagain
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Can't even fathom this. And I thought mice were gross...

cvanbrunt
07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
FYI: Rats love popcorn, peanut butter, and cheetos.

niccig
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Perfect. I'll be slathering peanut butter on popcorn and have DH set some traps. We have some bait boxes around the yard, I'll fill those with the "food" and put some peanut butter covered popcorn in as well to lure them in. We live in the hills, so all we can do is try to control them.

It is so gross. To my knowledge, the house and garage are fine. I'll have DH go into the crawlspace and double check. I may need to clean out the garage so I can park my car in there, it'll be tight though.

We also have squirrel issues, they got every single apricot and plum! %*#*#& critters!

deborah_r
07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I live not too far from you, and rats chewed up some hose or something in my car a few years ago. I really think it happened when I was parked at work, but since they are nocturnal, maybe it was at home. But there was more of a known rat problem near the office (and IN the office, yuck!)

niccig
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I live not too far from you, and rats chewed up some hose or something in my car a few years ago. I really think it happened when I was parked at work, but since they are nocturnal, maybe it was at home. But there was more of a known rat problem near the office (and IN the office, yuck!)

I called LA County Health last time they got into my car. Someone came out and talked me through what to do. But she said rats are a real problem throughout the county, all you can do is keep them out of your home and try to control them as best you can.

KLD313
07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Ugh, I feel for you. I lived next to people that had rats on their property that used to come on mine. They would be playing in my yard it was so disgusting. I used to throw traps and poison over the fence into their rock piles. I also had some wires eaten in my car that caused the car to leak when it rained, I assumed it was mice but now I'm wondering if it was rats. Yuck, I grossed out all over again.

marymoo86
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
That sucks and gross! Would a cat help - not sure how big these things are?

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
That's a story that tops my "squirrel ate our van seatbelt 2 x in spring 2011 and spring 2012" stories. So sorry. They weren't inside the cabin pooping in each carseat as they ate your kids' leftover smacks, we're they?

niccig
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
That sucks and gross! Would a cat help - not sure how big these things are?

Maybe, but we have coyotes in our canyon and cats out after dark go missing. We haven't gotten one for that reason, but maybe it would be a deterrent if it's out during the day (?) and we haven't heard any coyotes howling in a long time. DS does want a cat.

niccig
07-09-2012, 04:03 PM
That's a story that tops my "squirrel ate our van seatbelt 2 x in spring 2011 and spring 2012" stories. So sorry. They weren't inside the cabin pooping in each carseat as they ate your kids' leftover smacks, we're they?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any evidence of that. There was a nest of leaves and what looked like chewed up air filter on top of the battery. The mechanic hasn't called yet to tell me what else. At least this time I could drive the car. Last time, it wouldn't even start and had to get it towed. I'm hoping the repair bill isn't as big.

I'm also assuming it was a rat, but we have had squirrel issues. We had poop on front window sill and DH set a trap thinking it was a rat and he caught a squirrel instead.

I think combination of more traps/bait stations, and parking car in garage or in front of house (we live on a corner lot), and checking every week will help. DH had a rat that chewed up air filter in his car, but that was it and he parks in front of the house. The driveway is just more convenient to getting inside with groceries etc.

Aishe
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Moral: do not buy a house in a canyon with neighbours that have ivy in their front yard (rat condos). And to my knowledge they ivy loving neighbors have never had rat issues, because they are all in my freaking yard!

Ooh, I did not know that about ivy. I know avocado trees are also rat condos.

I had a colleague who lives not far from you and had similar rat issues. One day he was driving along when suddenly there was a rat on his headrest sniffing his hair!!! And to make matters worse his toddler was in the backseat .

Squirrels have taken all our nectarines. They're not fooling me with those fluffy tails. They're no better than rats.

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
One day he was driving along when suddenly there was a rat on his headrest sniffing his hair!!! And to make matters worse his toddler was in the backseat .

:eek::barf:

MamaMolly
07-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Oh dear God I might be a rat.

ha98ed14
07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I had a colleague who lives not far from you and had similar rat issues. One day he was driving along when suddenly there was a rat on his headrest sniffing his hair!!! And to make matters worse his toddler was in the backseat .

Eewww! This takes the cake! Nicci, this sucks! I'm so sorry; would you consider a regular exterminator service? Our old apartment complex had one and it took care of the issue.

niccig
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Eewww! This takes the cake! Nicci, this sucks! I'm so sorry; would you consider a regular exterminator service? Our old apartment complex had one and it took care of the issue.

We did have a regular service. They charged $50 per bait box to fill. I can do it for just the cost of the bait (I have the keys that open the boxes). That's all they did. I can do it, I just have to do it monthly. If DH sets some regular traps, that will help too.

Heard from the mechanic, it's $100 fix. Chewed some wires to a sensor that was affecting transmission. We're all good. Now off to be the Orkin man and put bait in boxes.

niccig
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM

OMGosh. This is way worse. Before I get in the car, I'm going to hit the sides, make a lot of noise and hopefully scare anything out.

sophiesmom03
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
If you can prove it is the ivy can the town make the neighbors remove it?

That is just so gross - I am sorry.

sophiesmom03
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Oh dear God I might be a rat.

:hysterical::hysterical:

123LuckyMom
07-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I've had problems with field mice, not rats, and have had lots of suggestions for how to keep them out of the cabin of the car-- bounce sheets, moth balls, scented soap. That's great, but what I really needed was to keep them out of the wiring! I found this physical barrier idea online. I never got around to having it built, but if you're desperate...

http://www.hastingsreserve.org/mammals/MiceInCars.html

GeekGirl
07-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Okay, so this may be the goofiest thing ever, but my dad had success driving a very persistent mole out of his yard by sprinkling synthetic fox urine around the various mole holes.

I can't remember if he had to order it online or if he found it in a gardening store but, regardless, the application of predator scent around his yard was successful. (And ridiculous!)

Good luck if you decide to channel your inner vixen...

MamaMolly
07-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Tee-hee! That's punny!

boolady
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Okay, so this may be the goofiest thing ever, but my dad had success driving a very persistent mole out of his yard by sprinkling synthetic fox urine around the various mole holes.

I can't remember if he had to order it online or if he found it in a gardening store but, regardless, the application of predator scent around his yard was successful. (And ridiculous!)

We used to do this at our old property, where we had a mole and a lot of bunnies, using real fox urine that we got at the garden center. We used to hang it in little bottles with tiny holes in them that we got at the garden center just for this purpose. You make a perimeter by hanging the little bottles on shrubbery or other places in your yard.

Humans don't smell it, but the animals do. I know they also sell coyote and something else...you get the urine that will keep whatever animal you want to keep away out of the yard. No one will even know it's there.

According to this website, you would need coyote urine. As disgusting as this sounds, it really works.

http://www.predatorpee.com/

dogmom
07-10-2012, 03:34 PM
How about a Ferret? Of course they stink, but I've never seen a rodent in a house with a ferret. Maybe you can just keep in in the garage. ;)

I've had less costly issues with mouse nests in my car x2. I was so excited when my kids report the garden snake that hangs out under the front step by our garage had a big fat lump in him. Yeah snake!

Giantbear
07-10-2012, 03:38 PM
2007 - ate wiring harness in my car. Cost $1500 + rental car for 10 days
2011 - climbed up the dryer vent and got stuck in the fan. Cost $150 and grossed out the repairman
2012 - ate wiring in my car AGAIN. Cost, unknown.

Weekly task: set rat traps and check engine compartment for signs of a nest.i would be schmearing peanut butter on my neighbors front door and sprinkling popcorn in their back yard

Giantbear
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
We used to do this at our old property, where we had a mole and a lot of bunnies, using real fox urine that we got at the garden center. We used to hang it in little bottles with tiny holes in them that we got at the garden center just for this purpose. You make a perimeter by hanging the little bottles on shrubbery or other places in your yard.

Humans don't smell it, but the animals do. I know they also sell coyote and something else...you get the urine that will keep whatever animal you want to keep away out of the yard. No one will even know it's there.

According to this website, you would need coyote urine. As disgusting as this sounds, it really works.

http://www.predatorpee.com/where do you buy a coyote urinal?

boolady
07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
where do you buy a coyote urinal?

LOL. I have no idea. I will happily leave the urine procurement to the experts. Can you even imagine that on a resume?

niccig
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
i would be schmearing peanut butter on my neighbors front door and sprinkling popcorn in their back yard

I love it.

niccig
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
LOL. I have no idea. I will happily leave the urine procurement to the experts. Can you even imagine that on a resume?

I did look into coyote urine last year when dealing with the squirrels. You can buy it online. It might be worth a try. I'm desperate enough.

I got my car back, it drives fine but the warning light came on again, so I'm off to mechanic again tomorrow. He replaced the wire, but thinks he may need to replace the sensor. Sigh. DS has been in 1/2 day camp this week and I'm spending my time at the mechanic or the rental car place.

MamaInMarch
07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
So I could not resist checking out the predator pee web site... And that makes twice now that I have startled my cosleeping kiddos with this thread. (First time was when I read OMG I might be a rat!)

Among all the pest problems was one that said "people problem? Skunk 'em!". Meant to discourage loitering! Ha!

I am so sorry that your car was damaged, but i have to say this has been an entertaining read. :)