PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this? Maclaren Quest Mod Apples

citcat53
07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Hi there,
I am a newbie here. I like strollers, have read a lot in this forum and I am happy to participate! I am from Galicia and we are living in the South of Germany for some years now. I have one little 23months old. We are going home for the summer and plan some excursions and outings. We fly and will have a small car for our stay. Now I am torn if I should bring our big stroller, or if we are fine with a lightweight. I own a Mountain Buggy, which is big for the car. What do you think, is this
a good deal:
http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-detailansicht.html?adId=69463295

they say it is new and only used twice. they want more or less 135/140$. which is all we could pay anyway for a lightweight. this version is a 2009, right?
is this too much for a 3 year old model even if almost new?
are there important changes in the meantime?
I think it looks really cute.

thanks for helping me making this decision. :)

Multimama
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
It's very hard to advice you on whether that's a good deal since you're not in the US. In the US you could get a Maclaren Quest brand new for that price if you waited for a deal (and $25 more if you can't wait) so nope, it doesn't seem like that good of a deal. But the market may be very different where you live.

As far as changes, the model you linked has the old hinges and the person has not put the hinge covers on. In the US you actually can't sell a recalled stroller without the recall fix so the seller would have to be able to provide those, but if they can't you can get them yourself from Maclaren. They look unattractive and I prefer the new hinges personally.

Also there is a brand new version of the Quest for 2012 with a deeper recline, better recline mechanism and some other improved features. This may effect resale when you want to sell.

TwoBees
07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi and welcome!

Are you currently in Germany and flying to the US? If you don't need a stroller for your flight, you could have a friend or relative in the US look on their local craigslist and purchase the stroller, and then it would already be at your destination. The type of stroller you would need really depends on what you will be doing. If you will be walking a lot or will be outside and in the sun a lot, you might want to bring your MB which has a good canopy and better wheels than a Maclaren, or look into a BJCM. If you will mostly be indoors, at malls, or just need the stroller for quick errands, an umbrella stroller would be fine.

Multimama
07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Are you currently in Germany and flying to the US?

I think OP is currently in Germany and flying to Galicia, if I understood correctly. She's concerned her MB will take up too much trunk space, right OP?

How old is your child, OP?

citcat53
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I think OP is currently in Germany and flying to Galicia, if I understood correctly. She's concerned her MB will take up too much trunk space, right OP?

How old is your child, OP?

Hi. Thanks for the replys. I am located in Germany and I do fly to Galicia which is in Spain, Europe. So, no, I have no chance to get a stroller from the U.S. Market even though I would love to do that. A brandnew Maclaren Quest 2012 is 300$ (250€). So there is a big price difference I am afraid.... My child is nearly two. So we do need a stroller with us.

spannaz
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
If brand new one is 250 Euros, then I think a barely used Quest for 120 Euros seems reasonable. Just make sure to ask about the hinge covers, or call Maclaren to get them. Good luck!

Multimama
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I guess 120 Euros is a good deal for that stroller, or at least it's not a bad deal, but if I were you for an almost two year old I would spend the extra 9 Euros and get a brand new Volo. It's almost 4 lbs lighter and you just don't need the extra features of the Quest, plus you'll have the warranty etc. The wheels aren't the greatest outside, but i don't think the Quest will be that much of an improvement in that area.

Or you could spend an extra 25 Euros and get a Quinny Zapp. It's great for small trunks and for two year olds and if you ever have any more kids you can buy the Zapp Xtra seat and have a reversible. It's pretty heavy (17 lbs, so 4 lbs heavier than the Quest), but you can stow it in the overhead compartment on the plane so it won't get damaged during the trip.

citcat53
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I guess 120 Euros is a good deal for that stroller, or at least it's not a bad deal, but if I were you for an almost two year old I would spend the extra 9 Euros and get a brand new Volo. It's almost 4 lbs lighter and you just don't need the extra features of the Quest, plus you'll have the warranty etc. The wheels aren't the greatest outside, but i don't think the Quest will be that much of an improvement in that area.

Or you could spend an extra 25 Euros and get a Quinny Zapp. It's great for small trunks and for two year olds and if you ever have any more kids you can buy the Zapp Xtra seat and have a reversible. It's pretty heavy (17 lbs, so 4 lbs heavier than the Quest), but you can stow it in the overhead compartment on the plane so it won't get damaged during the trip.

Thanks. I am glad you think it's not too bad!!! :)
Actually we agreed on 100€ (plus 7€ shipping). It seems in great condition and you barely find a used Maclaren Quest under 100€ no matter which year ... and most of them are pretty used.

The only one I really like from the 2012 is the denim version and the one denim (for 200€) was out of stock - plus way out of our tight budget. Honestly, I don't like the Volo or the Quinny so much. We do need some comfort because our little one will do his 1-2hour nap in there...

Interestingly, I just learned that the recall was only for the U.S. market - I found an article saying that it was considered safe for the European customers and no hinge covers are available in Europe. FYI http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/10/maclaren-pushchair-recall-british-customers

Hmm. I think I will just get it?!

hollissmama
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I had this exact model for our 2.5yr old and really liked it, it was enough of a recline for him to nap in it and he loved the apples. I think the only difference is the recline mechanism but it wasn't too bad.

I think the price is good, I sold my Quest for $100 on my CL. My only complaint is the lack of storage which is the same for any umbrella stroller also umbrella folds always feel tricky to me, I bought a city mini to be our car stroller. I love the stability of it and the recline is deeper and comfier. But if you need super light weight I think you should go for it.

TwoBees
07-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry for the miscommunication op!

MontrealMum
07-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Interestingly, I just learned that the recall was only for the U.S. market - I found an article saying that it was considered safe for the European customers and no hinge covers are available in Europe. FYI http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/10/maclaren-pushchair-recall-british-customers

Hmm. I think I will just get it?!

Yes, the recall was only in the US. The only reason I was able to get hinge covers easily (I live in Canada) is because I bought both of our Macs in the US.

citcat53
07-11-2012, 08:56 AM
No problem TwoBees! :)

Now, I am obsessing... I found a Babyhome Emotion stroller for a really great deal. Normally it's 275€ but I found it for half of it, plus shipping, it will be 50€ more than the Quest.

Drawbacks are: It's 50€ more!! And we don't have any money left!
We have the MB Swift and really just need something light for travel.. not for everyday.
I cannot see it in person, and I am not sure if I like the way it looks and if I like the material. It's not love at first sight with this design, that's for sure. We are not sure how small it folds (compared to Quest) - my partner would prefer the umbrella folding and if our LO likes the shallow, not upright seat....?
It's so new, I don't know the resale value.

In opposition I love the handlebar and the supposed great push.
Would love to hear a comparison.

I, however, do know the Quest and besides the tippiness like it really for what it is... an umbrella stroller. I am intrigued by such a good deal and would love to try the Emotion out... but we really don't need it...

AnnieW625
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I would go for it. My now 6 yr. old used her Maclaren Triumph (slightly less of a recline and no extra fabric for underneath the knees until she was about 4. The Quest is a great stroller and that one looks like it is in very good condition. This is a great stroller for travel and it is indeed quite light. Enjoy!

citcat53
07-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Yeah I'll try to get it. Now, the owner does not respond back... So maybe they already sold it :shrug:

I saw some reviews and sidebyside comparisons of the Babyhome Emotion on bestbuggy.co.uk, and have to say: I did not like it sooo much. her 3yo definately looks strange in the seat!
and a comfortable seat is a must IMO.

so, now, I really hope I'll get the Apples Quest. keep u updated.

citcat53
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
She called me and I just paid via paypal. Can't wait to see it!!!:boogie:
Will send you a pic :)

Do you think I need a canopy extender like a rayshade or protect a bub for
a 2 two year old?
I like the 3-1 concept of the PAB because our LO will take a lot of naps in the stroller but I am a little hesitant to pay like 40€/48$ for this.
the rayshade is "only" 24€ but does not offer the nap-blanket function...

any opinions? any recommendations esp. for mac canopies?

MamaBear
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I haven't compared Macs, but I know strollers are significantly more expensive in Germany than Canada (and they're cheaper still in the US). (My husband is German, we've lived there, I bought my Mutsy in Köln.)

In any case, I hope you enjoy your new Mac!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.