PDA

View Full Version : Clothes getting stained in the laundry--help!

ExcitedMamma
07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I have no idea what's going on with my laundry, clothes go into the wash without stains but when folding I find stains. It's like dark patches/spots, almost like a water splash but not so dark. We have front loading loading washer and dryer from 2005, so hopefully that's not too old now. We have used bleach through the wash and Lysol wiped out both drums but no idea what's causing the problem. Nothing has gone in the wash with obvious stains. Every month we use front loading wash cleaner. Terrified to wash DHs work shirts now or start sorting baby clothes. Any ideas/fixes?

pinay
07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
No answers for you, but the same thing is goIng on with our washer (an older top model). Actually, not sure if it's the washer or the dryer that's causing it, since both are relatively old and came to us used. We usually spray the really bad spots with the concentrated detergent and send it through anOther wash cycle and that seems to help, but I think we are heading towards replacing our washer/dryer set sometime in the near future anyway because I don't particularly like ours anyway.

kaharris83
07-10-2012, 12:58 PM
It happens to us too. It is all DS' clothes. I assumed it was milk and the other things he spills on his clothes, but like you said the spots aren't visible when things go into the wash. His Carter's clothes are the worst. The spots look like grease stains when the wash is done. I have run things through a few times but it doesn't seem to help really. We have an older top loader. I can't figure out what its from or how to avoid/fix it.

weech
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
This happens at our house too. We have newish top loaders... no idea how to fix it. :irked:

Sweetum
07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Wondering if the laundry detergent is reacting with what was on the clothes...or maybe the residues in the laundry are causing it. Maybe run a clean tub cycle.

PunkyBoo
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I have found that mostly on the shoulders and upper backs of my light colored tee shirts. I believe it is staining that you can't see going in (milk like PP said or hair gel on my clothes). If I treat stains when they happen and wear my bathrobe over my shirt until my hair is dry those "magically appearing" stains almost never happens.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
do you use fabric softener? when I switched to a white fabric softener (Downy Free and Clear), the stains stopped for me.

elbenn
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
I've gotten those types of stains, too. I have gotten some of the stains out by soaking in oxyclean.

stinkyfeet
10-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Is it possibly the detergent you are using? Have you tried a free and clear detergent?

I used to get dark stains on my clothes when I used a detergent that was blue in color.

oneontheway
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Have you checked the rubber folds around the door opening. We had a similar issue and tried everything including calling several repair men. Finally one said it was mildew forming in the rubber folds. Sure enough that is exactly what it was.

athompson
10-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Have you checked the rubber folds around the door opening. We had a similar issue and tried everything including calling several repair men. Finally one said it was mildew forming in the rubber folds. Sure enough that is exactly what it was.

How did you get rid of the mildew in the folds?

oneontheway
10-11-2012, 07:59 AM
How did you get rid of the mildew in the folds?

It naturally occured since I did not keep the door of the front loader open so the folds dried out after use. In our newer front loading washer I always prop the door open to let it dry and we've never had the mildew accumulate again.

Sorry just realized I miss read the post... we actually moved right around the time I figured it out but I'd think wiping down the folds with a mildew killer would work like Tilex or something strong. I think Tide even makes a product now for this issue.

athompson
10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
It naturally occured since I did not keep the door of the front loader open so the folds dried out after use. In our newer front loading washer I always prop the door open to let it dry and we've never had the mildew accumulate again.

Sorry just realized I miss read the post... we actually moved right around the time I figured it out but I'd think wiping down the folds with a mildew killer would work like Tilex or something strong. I think Tide even makes a product now for this issue.

Thanks!