PDA

View Full Version : Little things that are helpful for a WDW trip

candaceb
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I know this information is somewhere on disboards, but I really don't want to get sucked in... I went through a time period where I went to WDW as an adult every 1-2 years and I was a disboards addict.

My friend is going on her first trip to WDW this fall with her husband and 4 & 6 year old girls. They went on their first Disney cruise last winter, and she got sucked in to the disboards "fish extender" thing - people join groups of people who are on their cruise and put gifts in a pocket hanger thing outside their door.

Several months ago, someone posted a Land of Nod Hanukkah pocket hanger deal on the bargains board (http://reviews.landofnod.com/6329/6258/reviews.htm), and I got one for her (she is Jewish). I want to give it to her for her birthday at the end of the month filled with little things to make her Disney trip easier/better/more fun.

Here's what I have so far:
- Dollar Store ponchos for the whole family
- Glow sticks
- granola bars

Here are other ideas I have:
- body glide (stuff to prevent blisters)
- thick black sharpie for character autographs (not sure if she already has one from the cruise)
- ziplock bags

I need a total of 8 things for the 8 pockets. Any other ideas?

TIA!

Dr C
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Bandaids? (maybe with favorite disney characters?)

An autograph book for each of the kids? We didn't do the "official" autograph book... a small note book worked well. Definitely like the sharpie idea.

One of the things I liked having for DS at disney was a bunch of small markers that came on a carabiner (I found them at Target)--I had him do "observational drawings" while we were in line--great for the photo album.

DrSally
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Sunscreen stick, hand sanitizer, seconding gereric autograph book and maybe a fun disney pen. Kiddo disney theme sunglasses

cmo
07-13-2012, 08:14 AM
We appreciated having a night light for the bathroom when we went!

Gracemom
07-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Disney themed playing cards for having something to do while in the hotel room or in case it rains. My kids have these and they are their favorite cards.

karstmama
07-13-2012, 09:23 AM
moleskin for foot 'hotspots', those temporary tattoos with phone numbers to put on the kids' arms, a sunscreen?

BayGirl2
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
DL has a book "There's Lots to Do in Line" that's thin and light to carry, with games to play while waiting. Not sure if there's an equivalent for WDW.

Besides bandaids and body glide, maybe moleskin or "liquid/second skin" that you use after a hot spot or blister develops?

alien_host
07-13-2012, 11:36 PM
The retractable Sharpie is best for autographs as there is no cap to loose.

Crayola has the mini coloring sheets in Disney themes that come with markers and are great for the plane/restaurants and lines...AC Moore carries them.

http://www.crayolastore.com/product/13057#back

This is a fun gift idea!

candaceb
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions!
I am going to get the bandaids, and go look for those coloring pages at ACMoore. I think I saw some Disney nightlights at the dollar store when I was there for the ponchos, so I'm going to go back and get one.

any ideas on where to find the Disney playing cards? I looked at Target and Toys R Us and didn't find them there.

hellokitty
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
ID band or badges. I was so scared that we'd lose a kid when we went to WDW last yr, so when we got our mickey mail, and they included luggage tags (which we didn't use, since we drove), I made it into an ID tag for each child by putting in my business card and filling out the kid info on the blank side and then putting them on lanyards (which we ended up attaching their mini-buzz light yr and stitch blasters onto as well as some pins). I had parents in line coming up to me, telling me that they thought that was a cool idea.

Disney themed band aids.

Some Disney candy (I snagged some disney ring pops from Target on clearance after halloween for our trip, they came in REALLLLY handy when the kids got restless waiting for a show or in line).

Hats, like not mickey ears, but practical boat hats for sun protection, my kids like using their safari hats.

BayGirl2
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I found Mickey and Princess and other themed band aids at Safeway (grocery store) in the first aid section, so I assume they are not too hard to find.

We have Vital ID safety bracelets for the kids. I think you could make your own like PP mentioned, I like these because they velcro on, are waterproof, and the info inside can be updated. We use them on DS anytime we're at a busy or crowded place and taught him to "go find another Mommy" and show them his bracelet. (Of course now he talks to me about finding another Daddy, which sounds really strange to anyone listening I'm sure."

Jen841
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
We are planning our trip and some things on my list...
Neosporin
Blister bandaids (AMAZING things I learned when walking 60 miles for the 3 Day)
Postcard stamps (unless they use Postagram)
Postcards
Lanyards
Trading Pins
Small thing of dishsoap - call me crazy but I have needed/used it so many times when in hotels - especially for a week, water bottles will need it!
Business cards - I use my old ones and write contact information on them and put them in the kids pockets "If lost, call ...."
Sunscreen sticks
Water flavoring packets/energy drinks - we love water, but lemonade is nice on occassion
Travel toothbrushes - Kids LOVE packing their tooth brushes - who would have guesses?
Matchbox cars - my niece even plays with hers anywhere and everywhere!

Jen841
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Memory card for computer - need to get one for myself.

Gracemom
08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Memory card for computer - need to get one for myself.

That reminded me - I had to buy an extra SD card for my camera on our last trip because I took so many pictures and videos. I'll bring an extra for this trip.

candaceb
08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I actually gave the gift to my friend on Monday and she loved it. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up with:
- Disney Princess snack bags from the dollar store so they can pack snacks
- a couple of granola bars
- glow sticks
- dollar store ponchos
- Disney Princess night light from the dollar store
- Body Glide
- Mickey stickers from the dollar store
- individually wrapped wet ones wipes because I needed one more thing and I had them...