PDA

View Full Version : WDYT? Ok to run w/baby yet?

BayGirl2
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Looking for the general consensus of the BBB stroller crowd on whether you would jog with baby in the stroller yet in my situation. I've always been rather conservative about running with babies, always figured I'd wait until over a year old. Now I'm doing Couch to 5K and considering whether I can get in a run with kids, and do a stroller-friendly 5k in Sept.

DD is almost 10 months old. She's standing independently and cruising, probably within weeks of walking. She had good head control at 1 month. In other words, at the early end of the spectrum for motor skill development and core strength.

Stroller would either be a BJ Summit XC double or MB +One. Both have good shocks and air tires. Never in a carseat of course, right in the stroller seat. Both kids would be in the stroller, DS is 27 lbs, if that matters at all.

My jogging is very slow, and right now I'm doing walk/run intervals. That will transition to more jogging less walking, but I expect I'll always be pretty slow.

Am I risking it to consider jogging with her already? Or am I generally being too conservative, since most mfgr. recommendations say 6-8 months and if she's walking (almost) she's surely got the core strength to ride at a slow jog.
Reality check needed!

ETA: running would mainly be on pavement and decent sidewalks. We may walk off-road but I'm not doing trail running at this point.

BabyBearsMom
07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
What is the surface on which you are running like? If it was just smooth road or side walk, I think it is fine for a strong 10 month old and a slow jog.

BayGirl2
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
What is the surface on which you are running like? If it was just smooth road or side walk, I think it is fine for a strong 10 month old and a slow jog.

Sorry, forgot to include that. Sidewalks and paved surfaces. Smooth and flat for now.

Thanks for the input.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
I would do it. I just started doing Couch to 5 k last week (will be running 5k in Sept too). When DH is out of town I have to jog with my kids int he BOB Duallie. My DD is 15 mo adjusted, but I would have done it a few mos earlier. I think 10 mos is fine. Especially due to the fact that it's intervals and not a fast pace at all (i think one app the other day said that even when i was jogging i was doing 12 minute miles :bag)

BayGirl2
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I would do it. I just started doing Couch to 5 k last week (will be running 5k in Sept too). When DH is out of town I have to jog with my kids int he BOB Duallie. My DD is 15 mo adjusted, but I would have done it a few mos earlier. I think 10 mos is fine. Especially due to the fact that it's intervals and not a fast pace at all (i think one app the other day said that even when i was jogging i was doing 12 minute miles :bag)

Oh, I'm sure I'm slower than 12 minute miles at this point. I'm ashamed to admit that even at my athletic peak, pre-kids, when I did triathlons such as Escape from Alcatrez, I rarely topped 11-12 minute miles. :bag:bag:bag:bag:bag Now that its been like 5 years since I had a decent workout routine, that 5k may take me 2 hours instead of my usual 1.

strollerqueen
07-14-2012, 02:24 PM
For running, most manufacturers recommend fixed, not swivel wheels. But between the two you mentioned, the BJ Summit would be much better for jogging.

BayGirl2
07-14-2012, 07:45 PM
For running, most manufacturers recommend fixed, not swivel wheels. But between the two you mentioned, the BJ Summit would be much better for jogging.

I understand the recommendation of a fixed front wheel for serious running. It allows for a more streamlined run vs. a swivel that has a bit of drag on a fast run. I've used both types and I can tell there's a difference. Its especially important if you are training where speed matters. (I am no where near that at this point.)

But does a fixed front wheel offer any benefit to the baby? As long as the stroller has shocks and air tires I'm not sure if the ride would be noticeably smoother with a permanent fixed vs. swivel locked in fixed position. Is there any other reason behind this recommendation that I'm missing?

queenmama
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM
But does a fixed front wheel offer any benefit to the baby? As long as the stroller has shocks and air tires I'm not sure if the ride would be noticeably smoother with a permanent fixed vs. swivel locked in fixed position. Is there any other reason behind this recommendation that I'm missing?

I always assumed it was a safety issue, ie, what if the locked swivel were to unlock...? Wouldn't that be disastrous?

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

okinawama
07-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I felt comfortable taking my LO before they were a year. Like you, I felt my LO was strong enough, and I only ran at a snails pace on flat paved surfaces. Good luck with the C25K, it has been an amazing program and jump started my drive/workout routine after DS2's birth!

BayGirl2
07-15-2012, 02:00 AM
I always assumed it was a safety issue, ie, what if the locked swivel were to unlock...? Wouldn't that be disastrous?

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Not sure how it would be disastrous? I'm talking about a front wheel that usually swivels but is locked to go straight, like on a Bob Duallie. You can push it at a fairly fast pace not locked, its still going to roll straight forward. If it's locked it just keeps it from wobbling at all and pushes slightly easier. If you were running with the swivel wheel locked and it unlocked it would maybe swivel slightly, but you'd still be pushing the stroller forward. I guess maybe if you were going really, really fast and hit a bump, but still seems like a stretch?

If you mean the wheel were to unlock in terms of falling off the axle, yeah, that would be bad in any situation. But I don't see how that's any more of a risk in this situation.

Maybe I'm just not understanding something. I just see the fixed vs swivel/temp-fixed as more of a parent benefit - like a smoother push. Not so much a child safety benefit.

daniele_ut
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Maybe I'm just not understanding something. I just see the fixed vs swivel/temp-fixed as more of a parent benefit - like a smoother push. Not so much a child safety benefit.

I don't think you are missing anything with regard to safety. A fixed wheel just tends to be easier to push while on really uneven terrain or while jogging. There is nothing unsafe about jogging with the Bbb with the front wheel in the fixed position. I know plenty of people who do it all the time. I will never do enough serious running to justify a dedicated fixed wheel jogger, so I've been hunting for a used Bob Revolution SE to start using with DS, who is now 7 months old.

strollerqueen
07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Not sure how it would be disastrous? I'm talking about a front wheel that usually swivels but is locked to go straight, like on a Bob Duallie. You can push it at a fairly fast pace not locked, its still going to roll straight forward. If it's locked it just keeps it from wobbling at all and pushes slightly easier. If you were running with the swivel wheel locked and it unlocked it would maybe swivel slightly, but you'd still be pushing the stroller forward. I guess maybe if you were going really, really fast and hit a bump, but still seems like a stretch?

If you mean the wheel were to unlock in terms of falling off the axle, yeah, that would be bad in any situation. But I don't see how that's any more of a risk in this situation.

Manufacturers used to say it was a safety issue. In fact, you couldn't even call a stroller a jogger unless it had large fixed wheels and a handbrake. A swivel wheel will turn in the direction of whatever terrain it encounters. A little pothole could be enough to flip a stroller at a high rate of speed. It happened twice to my DH when he was running with our MBUD (and he knew better!) Whereas a fixed wheel will track true over whatever surface it encounters. Also, manufacturers used to say that locking a swivel wheel was only to be used for things like going over a curb, or a patch of mud, etc. They advised that it should not be used for running, as it was not a substitute for fixed wheels. And if you are running at a high rate of speed and need to stop suddenly--like something runs in front of you--if you don't have a handbrake the momentum and the weight of the child will continue to carry the stroller forward. Again, if you stop, the stroller will flip.

But I notice that now they don't say a lot of things that they used to. Most likely because it hurts sales. Fixed wheels are a pain for most people. They are great for running, snow, the beach (sand), and really rough terrain. But they are not good for crowds, festivals, theme parks, etc. Swivel wheels are preferable. Most people buy a stroller with these main uses in mind, and jogging or beach use as a "maybe, once in a while" activity. All that said, if a person knows for sure they are getting the stroller for running as a main activity, then they should really get a fixed wheel.

BayGirl2
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
SQ - thanks for that insight. I agree with you that if a person is going to use a stroller for serious running they should get a fixed wheel. To me a hand brake is a critical safety feature if I'm going to be using it at any speed on hilly terrain. I got the Summit XC instead of a Bob because I wanted that feature, and I used it a lot this weekend on a trail walk we did with the kids.

For me personally the momentum I pick up running on a flat surface does not worry me - its certainly not a "high rate of speed", especially when I'm pushing 60 lbs. If I were a serious runner I would feel differently and a fixed wheel would make sense. (I had one and gave it away actually.)

While on our walk I did see a group with a guy running with a stroller and 2 women running along side. These were more serious runners, going at a speedy pace, on a paved but bumpy trail. The front wheel was wobbling back and forth. I couldn't tell if it was locked, I suspect it wasn't. Pretty sure it was one of those cheap Baby Trend joggers I see as travel systems at BRU with the super-thin spoked wheels and short seat backs. Definitely a situation where a true jogging stroller would have served them well.

strollerqueen
07-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, handbrakes are so great for hills. I used to really wish I had one when going downhill with the MBUD. The weight of the two kids pulled it down sooo fast. I was constantly pulling it back to hang on to it. There was a very busy street at the bottom of the hill, and I was so scared it would bet away from me and roll into traffic.

Multimama
07-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Pretty sure it was one of those cheap Baby Trend joggers I see as travel systems at BRU with the super-thin spoked wheels and short seat backs. Definitely a situation where a true jogging stroller would have served them well.

I read a lot of reviews on that type of jogger once for a friend (don't ask) and I think the wheels are very wobbly whether the wheel is locked or not, unfortunately.