PDA

View Full Version : Which gaming system for 6 year old girl?

melwe
07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
DD is showing some interest in having a game system of her own. Currently she uses our desktop computer or my iPad if she wants to play something. This year she mentioned that she would want to play a Brave game.

Are the LeapFrog systems too young for her - like the LeapPad or the LeapFrog Explorer? I'm also considering a Nintendo DS and have heard some people recommend an iPod touch.

She is pretty easy to please, so I'm sure she would be happy with anything. If I purchase something like this, I just want to make sure it's a good buy.

katydid1971
07-14-2012, 05:34 PM
At six I would go to the Nintentedo or the iPod, most of the Leapfrog games are more for preschoolers. My DS hasn't played with his in over a year and passed it down to DD.

melwe
07-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. I know we could pass it along to DS to play with, but if we are going to spend the money, I'd rather that DD gets to enjoy it as much as possible.

KrisM
07-14-2012, 07:32 PM
DS1 is 8 and still plays with his Leapster. But, I wouldn't buy it for him now. He likes math and enjoys the harder math games on it. He plays his DS more. I just wish there were more educational, Leapster-style games for it.

WatchingThemGrow
07-14-2012, 07:43 PM
My 6yo DD is enjoying her Leapster Explorer and DS2's LeapPad. We have a new cooking game from the website along with some of the ultra ebooks that are really keeping her busy. She enjoys all the games that are rated 4-7 as well as 5-8. I like that she can play something and the others will cozy up and watch her play/learn from what she does on them.

mnosky1
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I'd say the best choices are a DS or an Ipod. My 9 year old DD got an IPod at age 7 (or maybe it was 6?) - its an old model now- when they were new- no cameras. I wanted more educational aps then the DS offered and didn't want to spend the money per game of the DS. She also uses it to play music on the house speakers or in the car (my DH's car speakers accept Ipod) and watch movies on plane or long car rides (I try to limit movies on it otherwise). Now she uses it for other things - like she just broke her dominant arm so she used her iPod to write things.
Also my kids have a short attention span for interest in games and aps - I am happy I don't have to pay anything or much for an ap when the interest is only a few weeks. For our wii, we buy a $40 game that gets played for one month at the most.
By the way, my 4 year old has an iPod too- not really "hers" but my DHs that he no longer used once he got an iPhone - it has all her aps and music on it and YouTube etc is blocked - she's a little rambunctious and knock on wood hasn't lost it or broken it in a year!
Since you have an iPad, you could see what aps you might be interested in for her. Or since you have the iPad, you might want to go another direction.

melwe
07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
So, if I get her the iPod, can you have games on both the iPod and iPad? If it helps, I'm considering getting an iPhone as well. Oh, I think iPhone apps and iPod apps are interchangeable, right?

The only concern I have with the DS is that, unfortunately, the controls may be more complex than she likes and she may get frustrated. I know they are not terribly hard, but she gives up really easily. I like the idea of the Leapfrog being more educational and perhaps easier to use at first, but I really don't want her to get bored too quickly either.

The iPad has been great because it is so easy to use, but she always wants to play with it when I am on it, so I never get anything done.

katydid1971
07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Most of the apps from the ipad are interchangeable with the ipod/iphone. Once you buy it you own it and you can download it onto any device you own. Because of the cloud the games often download themselves automatically, so if I buy one for the ipad I will find it already on my iphone the next time I go to use it.
This site will email you free apps everyday, some are better than others but I love that I can get lots of different apps then not feel badly if it turns out to be a dud and take it off.
http://www.smartappsforkids.com/

4stheCharm
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I would go to the iTouch, you can do games, music , etc all together on there.