PDA

View Full Version : Hook-on high chairs... safe?

ma912
07-16-2012, 10:46 AM
My DD is 13 months -- just over 20 lbs. We got a Chicco travelseat hook-on high chair as a gift but I've never taken it out of the box. I know people use these things all the time, but they just seem so unstable and dangerous to me! Am I completely alone on that? Are they genuinely safe (on a sturdy table, of course)?

lizzywednesday
07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
My DD is 13 months -- just over 20 lbs. We got a Chicco travelseat hook-on high chair as a gift but I've never taken it out of the box. I know people use these things all the time, but they just seem so unstable and dangerous to me! Am I completely alone on that? Are they genuinely safe (on a sturdy table, of course)?

Yes and no.

Yes, they're perfectly safe if installed properly on a 4-legged table.

No, they're fairly dangerous if installed on a pedestal table.

If your hook-on chair is returnable or exchangeable, you might want to trade it in for a Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=274390&catid=182598&aid=338666&aparam=274390

It uses the same footprint as the hook-on, but is more stable because you strap it to a regular dining chair ... and it grows with your child.

Frankly, I don't know that I'd be comfortable using a hook-on after 15lbs, but that might just be me.

BabyBearsMom
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Yes and no.

Yes, they're perfectly safe if installed properly on a 4-legged table.

No, they're fairly dangerous if installed on a pedestal table.

If your hook-on chair is returnable or exchangeable, you might want to trade it in for a Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=274390&catid=182598&aid=338666&aparam=274390

It uses the same footprint as the hook-on, but is more stable because you strap it to a regular dining chair ... and it grows with your child.

Frankly, I don't know that I'd be comfortable using a hook-on after 15lbs, but that might just be me.

ITA with everything above. Just wanted to add that there have been recalls with these kinds of seats in the past, so I would double check and make sure your seat hasn't been recalled. I love the Fisher Price Booster. Fantastic seat. We have one at my parents' house

infomama
07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Lifesaver for us when camping. We used picnic tables and never left her side but I was comfortable with it.
We used it once at a wedding on a round table and I was less comfortable as the table was plastic but it was fine..again, we stayed right with her the whole time.

candaceb
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I totally agree with lizzywednesday's post. On the right table, they are OK. I did consulting work for Graco eons ago helping defend them against lawsuits and writing warnings from them, and one of our cases involved a little girl who had been put in a tot-lock high chair on a center pedestal patio table. The grandmother put a pot of hot tea in the center of the table, the girl bounced up and down and tipped the table over, spilling the pot of tea on herself and causing 3rd degree burns. I have never used one with my DS and never would with any future kid - there are better options out there with fewer things that could potentially go wrong.

kaharris83
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
We used a hook on chair with DS when he was younger, like 3-9 months. It worked great but we always made sure to follow the directions. I would not use one with a 13 month old, they're too wiggly at that age for my comfort. You need to be careful with chairs like the FP healthy care booster too. DS flipped the entire chair it was secured to forward onto the floor and put his bottom teeth through his lip in one of those.

lizzywednesday
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
...You need to be careful with chairs like the FP healthy care booster too. DS flipped the entire chair it was secured to forward onto the floor and put his bottom teeth through his lip in one of those.

I definitely agree - we've only started allowing DD to use hers again after a long period in "time out" because she used to push off the table legs & tip backward.

She's only just now realizing that she wants to sit at the table with us rather than sit in her high chair.

ma912
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to skip it. We have Fisher Price seat for the grandparents' houses... the hook-on seat just makes me to uncomfortable. I got it over a year ago, so I don't think there is any returning it. Oh well.

Melaine
07-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I got one for a shower gift and have debated returning it. The reason I am hesitating is that it is from my BFF and she said she loved it. I just am not sure that I see myself using it much and I hadn't even started thinking about the danger aspects!

KonzaPrairie
07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I love our chicco hook on high chair! I think it's very sturdy. I don't use it that often, as I received both that and a high chair as a gift, so at home we use the regular high chair, but it's perfect for traveling/grandma's house. I love how it folds flat. My DD is only 9 months so not sure how long it will last her, but my mom used one with my niece until she was about 18 months. We have had no issues/safety incidents at all.

abh5e8
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
we love the (basic) chicco hook on high chair. its all ds used until he was about 20 months old. we still use it for travel. its awesome for a kitchen island with an overhanging counter (and bar type stools).

we have a large, heavy table with legs and i have no concerns at all with it. but, follow the directions.

KrystalS
07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
They are awesome on kitchen islands or at restaurants to use at a booth (the kind attached to the wall), but we had one fall off our dining table. We have a lip under the table and the chair was on tight but DS wiggled a lot and I guess it just scooted back too far. Luckily I was sitting right next to him and caught it before he fell to the floor. DS was about 25lbs at the time, the one we have is a 33lb weight limit. We ended up leaving it at the grandparents house because they have a very sturdy kitchen island.

peanut520
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
We used our fast chair (similar to the chicco) all the time without any issues. I agreed with pp that it depends on the table and how you are able to secure it.