PDA

View Full Version : please come and take some crayons....

Seitvonzu
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
or foamies, stickers, pipecleaners, markers.....

i'm drowning!

dh & lu went to a family event yesterday and stayed over night. i said i would stay home and try to deal with our basement. ugh. we could seriously open a preschool. we have that many art supplies/school supplies/various kits for science/crafts.... this does not touch the books or the blocks or the toys (educational and otherwise)

it's overwhelming!

chottumommy
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Put it on freecycle or craigslist free category. Believe me most will be gone by tomorrow. Lots of teacher trying to stock up before school. You can also call up a local preschool or daycares.

fortato
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Donate them to a restaurant, or a library! Any place that has a children's waiting area....

wellyes
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Dump 'em.

But I get it. I was just now throwing away a half a broken crayon, feeling guilty about it, because I know I could use a candle to make drip art with it. Damn Pinterest.

Globetrotter
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I free cycled mine. I had at least TWENTY people respond within two hours!!

baileygirl
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I usually donate stuff like that (new items) to the kids' preschool. Teachers usually seem happy to receive stickers and stuff.

sophiesmom03
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Freecycle is your friend. :)

Also, if you have lots of broken/bits of crayon you can melt it and either make neat shaped crayons (fun swirly colors) or use a cookie cutter to cut when warm, poke a hole in the top, add string, and you have crayon kid jewelry!

ett
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I agree with PPs to donate them - libraries, schools, churches, where ever there are children's activities. I've also collected up a lot of craft supplies that I've been able to use at a children's program that I teach at regularly at my church.

Seitvonzu
07-16-2012, 07:40 PM
i feel like much of it is half used? i have one kid...and we have a healthy art appetite, but this is beyond ridiculous.. open pipe cleaners? projects that we've done 2 out of 4 of (puppets, crowns,etc.)

i think if i had a couple more children this would be more manageable... i've done the melted crayons before, i think that's why i have such a stockpile.

my child NEVER has used a crayon down to being a half crayon. never! for one thing, she doesn't color that much and for another...well, we just have SO MANY STINKIN crayons. *grumblegrumble*

i'm might try freecycle...or ask her school (but then i have to keep it until at least august.)

schrocat
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Donate it to the library. I donated my glue stash before we moved and the children's librarian was thrilled. Apparently their budget was being cut and they were running out of supplies so our little donation came in useful.

MamaMolly
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Yes, even the open stuff. I would Freecycle it tonight and Have it gone tomorrow. List it as a (large) grab bag of kid friendly art and craft supplies.