PDA

View Full Version : I inherited some silver spoons from my grandma - are they safe?

marit
07-16-2012, 08:24 PM
My mom gave me some spoons that belonged to her mom. They are tiny (like, for coffee) and beautiful. Are they safe for my children to use? They are just the right size for my 3 year old... Or is it toxic to use silver cutlery?

Thanks!

katydid1971
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
My mom gave me some spoons that belonged to her mom. They are tiny (like, for coffee) and beautiful. Are they safe for my children to use? They are just the right size for my 3 year old... Or is it toxic to use silver cutlery?

Thanks!
Yes sterling silver is very safe for children.

marit
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Yay!!! Here is a picture :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
My mom actually says the silver is healthy and she is very health conscious but I don't exactly know what makes it healthy.

Melaine
07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
That's beautiful....enjoy!

katydid1971
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Love those!!! I personally wouldn't let the kids use them because they are too pretty ;)

JBaxter
07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
I have one from DH's great aunt. They are collectors items no way I would give it to my child to use on a regular basis

AnnieW625
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Love those!!! I personally wouldn't let the kids use them because they are too pretty ;)

:yeahthat: silver is super delicate. Those would be perfect for a holiday, birthday or wedding/baby shower.

Ikea sells spoons that are that size that are great for kids and you don't have to worry about them getting lost or bent out of shape.

MamaMolly
07-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I say use them and enjoy them. They aren't doing any one any good shoved in a drawer.

athompson
07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I love that you are planning to use them.
Why store them away?
Beautiful and meaningful items should be used every day in my opinion.
Using them is also a nice starting point to tell your children stories about their Great Grandmother and others.

marit
07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks everybody!!!

They were shoved in my mom's drawer for 30 years, I didn't even know they existed. I found them when I helped my mom reorganize her kitchen and get rid of stuff. She was glad to let me have them.

And now I have another question:
Can I put them in the dishwasher? (please please say yes).

mikeys_mom
07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks everybody!!!

They were shoved in my mom's drawer for 30 years, I didn't even know they existed. I found them when I helped my mom reorganize her kitchen and get rid of stuff. She was glad to let me have them.

Enjoy using them! I am always of the opinion that it is better to use good stuff and risk damaging it than to have it sit unused.

I use my good silver cutlery every Friday/Saturday but don't put it in the dishwasher because it gets way too tarnished in there. Sorry :(

katydid1971
07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks everybody!!!

No dish washer soap will pit the silver.

meggie t
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
I say use them and enjoy them. They aren't doing any one any good shoved in a drawer.

:yeahthat:

We use sterling silver flatware as our everyday. I love my silver and china, etc and love using them. Burgers on china? Yes please! Our 2 yr old son uses fine china daily (and has since he started solids), as well as sterling flatware. We've never had an issue. And , if it breaks one day, oh well. We enjoy using it!

As for the dishwasher, we hand wash the sterling. Only takes a few minutes!

cntrymoon2
07-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Definite no on the dishwasher! But ITA, those are beautiful!

Mommy_Again
07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
All my kids learned to eat on sterling children's flatware, absolutely use it and enjoy it! Definitely no to the dishwasher but they're easy to clean. If food is stuck on, just soak in soapy water for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
07-17-2012, 12:27 PM

I would hand wash them as well. Certain pieces of silver can go in the dishwasher, except hollow handle knives, but for those yeah I would just hand wash them as I would be afraid of them pitting as well.

sophiesmom03
07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
We've always put silver in the dishwasher (my moms and my sisters - they use their sterling all the time) - but you have to make sure that you don't mix sterling and stainless in the same basket - THAT will cause pitting and tarnishing.

YMMV but this has always worked for us. Those spoons are lovely!