PDA

View Full Version : Micralite FF--quick advice please

3sweetgirls
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been looking for a pool stroller and was ready to purchase a Mac Volo with the mesh seat. However, I already have a Triumph and a Ryder (Yes, I love Macs :tongue5:). But even being the Mac fan that I am I knew 3 was too many. I use the Triumph most of time but I will occasionally pull out the Ryder for the suspension and comfortable ride for my little one's long day excursions. She's a sleeper and I love seeing her sleep flat and comfortably (though she really doesn't care).

Anyway, I now have the opportunity to buy a Micralite Superlite. :boogie: It would have the mesh seat which will have us covered for the pool and if I'm thinking it through correctly it would replace the Mac Ryder. I would love it if the FF would even replace my BOB since I don't jog anyway, just fast walk. I have found that I'm usually happy with only 3 strollers and after that it starts to feel excessive and I want to sell one. Could my lineup be complete with the FF, Mac Triumph, and Mountain Buggy Double?

But more importantly, for now, do you think that the Fastfold superlite can replace the Maclaren Ryder? If I want to travel (meaning airport) light with two strollers over a double would the Superlite and Triumph be doable? Do you think the Superlite is a good travel stroller since it weighs the same as the Ryder and at the same time is it sufficient for long walks without smooth surfaces? Please Superlite owners give me your feedback, there are minimal reviews out there! TIA!!!!

crl
07-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I use my FF nearly every day to walk the dog. I walk really fast. It is fine on sidewalks, though I do have to go over curbs backwards and tilt up a bit for big cracks, etc. It was not great on gravel/packed dirt, okay, but not what I would want for everyday use on those surfaces.

I have travelled with it once--no problems. I think it is an okay travel stroller, but it seems a bit more likely to break than a typical umbrella because of the fold. The bottom front piece folds in half and sticks out a bit. It just seems a bit vulnerable to me. I will definitely travel with it in the future though.

As far as it replacing a Ryder, it does not have full recline. And it will likely ne a bit bigger folded due to the air tires. Otherwise, I think it would do everything a Ryder would do.

I do think the handlebar extensions are necessary. At least for me to get a one handed push because of the way the handle bars are designed. And I'm 5'7" so not super tall.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have questions.

Catherine

Kaylee31
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
It is fine on sidewalks, though I do have to go over curbs backwards and tilt up a bit for big cracks, etc. It was not great on gravel/packed dirt, okay, but not what I would want for everyday use on those surfaces.
As far as it replacing a Ryder, it does not have full recline. And it will likely ne a bit bigger folded due to the air tires. Otherwise, I think it would do everything a Ryder would do.
Catherine

:yeahthat: I used my FF all the time last summer, only for car travel though. At the time, I only had it & a MB Terrain. I think it's a great all-in-one stroller for toddlers who don't ride all the time, or need to sleep in the stroller. Plush it is not, it's a pretty bare bones stroller. So I don't think it's a great replacement for the Ryder, I would prefer it over the Triumph though. And the push is awesome. I'm only 5'2", so I never used the handlebar extenders although I have them...somewhere.

Multimama
07-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, as soon as I got my Superlite I sold my Ryder (although to be fair I really never used the Ryder in the first place!), so for my purposes the Superlite was a great replacement for the Ryder. In fact, the Superlite pretty much replaced every other stroller we had for my toddler. Except I have a Starck for travel because 1) I :heartbeat: my Superlite and don't want it to get hurt and 2) I agree with CRL that the way the Superlite folds (which I love) does seem to make it more vulnerable to damage than an umbrella if someone, let's say a baggage handler, was throwing it around.

But I downsized from 3 umbrella strollers to 1 umbrella stroller when I bought my Superlite so I'm sure you will find that you can too. Definitely give the Superlite a try if you have the chance! You owe it to yourself. :)

hapimommy
07-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I love my superlite. I do not have a Ryder, and have never owned one, so I guess my best comparison would be to my triumph and cybex topaz. The superlite steers with one hand and I can push my 40 lb. Ds with a finger on smooth terrain, two things I cannot do with either of the other two umbrella strollers. I found an all terrain kit for it, which I use instead of my joovy zoom ats for fast walks around the lake, but I have used the regular swivel wheels a few times, and it handled rough asphalt okay. For it replacing the bob, I personally think it might work for you, but in comparison to my mountain buggy duo, it does not have any suspension, and relies heavily on the air wheels on the back for a smooth ride. As for traveling, it folds much larger than the triumph, but it does stand on it's own, and baggage handlers seem to try harder to be more gentle with strollers they can see, so my strollers have survived traveling pretty well. I have the travel bag for the micralite, but I prefer that the handler see my stroller, since they know that a baby is dependent on that thing to be functional once they arrive at their destination. I hope that helps. I must admit that I loved my superlite so much, that when I saw a good deal for a Toro with accessories included, i bought the Toro for the accessories, and ended up loving the Toro too. :love-retry:

hapimommy
07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I stood the triumph up against a wall next to the standing folded superlite, and it is actually not that much larger. The base is just bigger, but it stands by itself, and you can easily wheel it behind you for traveling. Sorry I was mistaken on the folded size of the two. I took a few photos, but not sure how to upload them.

3sweetgirls
07-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Great advice. I'm decided on getting it especially after taking dd to the pool and having her fall asleep on the drive there. I would not have been happy about putting her in a Volo while asleep from the car to the stroller. And though I know the recline on the FF isn't substantial, some recline is better than no recline for quick naps and the Triumph recline is just enough recline for dd.

So quick question, what is the all terrain kit?

Also, Strollerqueens stats say the width is 24'' at the front. The BOB is 24'' at the back. Since this is obviously wider than a typical umbrella, would you you consider it a good indoor stroller? I'll probably use it just as much indoors as out.

Finally, it looks like the seat isn't very upright. Have your little one's minded this? If you've had a Triumph, does the FF recline more than the Triumph at its most upright position?

Sorry for all the questions, though I've seen the FF once, I won't be able to try it before I buy it. Thanks! :)

crl
07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
The all-terrain kit is air tires for the front. I decided to skip it because the stroller won't fold with them on and the front wheels don't swivel with them on. (And we live in a place with no snow.)

I haven't really used it inside much, but I think it would be fine for most indoor use, though probably not great for tight quarters like gymboree. I had always had three wheeled air tire strollers and getting used to the wide front wheels has been a bit of a challenge. For the first few months I would catch the front wheels on things pretty often. And since they aren't the big air tires, even just catching a wheel on the grass at the edge of the sidewalk would stop the stroller.

Dd has been just fine in it. As far as I can tell, she is just as content as she was in our Indie (which seems like it would be a thousand times more comfortable). Never had a triumph so I can't comment on the difference between them.

Catherine

Multimama
07-19-2012, 12:52 PM
If you've had a Triumph, does the FF recline more than the Triumph at its most upright position?

We had a thread once where we measured the angles of stroller reclines with an iphone angle app. The FF is almost as reclined in its reclined position as the Triumph is in its *most reclined* position so I'm sure your DD will be fine. :)

I like that the front wheels are wider on the FF. For me it makes it easier *not* to catch the wheels on things. If the widest wheels are in the back, like the BJCM which is also 24 inches at the back, then I catch the back wheels after thinking I'd be able to fit through. Can't do that when they are on the front! And for whatever reason my front wheels don't seem to catch on things the way CRL's do. I've never had them stopped by grass!

3sweetgirls
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok. Thx :) what about the liner? Do you think it's necessary?

Multimama
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM

I love the liner. We don't have it on now because it's summer, but if you plan to use the stroller in cooler weather it gives the seat more structure and cush.

Kaylee31
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I stood the triumph up against a wall next to the standing folded superlite, and it is actually not that much larger. The base is just bigger, but it stands by itself, and you can easily wheel it behind you for traveling. Sorry I was mistaken on the folded size of the two. I took a few photos, but not sure how to upload them.

I have a couple of pics of the FF & Triumph together (so glad when my stroller obsession actually can be somewhat useful :p)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5068/5580305964_70072f16cd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/5580305964/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5190/5580306152_3743e1b221.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/5580306152/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5143/5580306060_1be4d8a0f8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/5580306060/)

crl
07-19-2012, 06:23 PM

I have the liner. Put it on once and took it off and haven't used it again. I can't get the stroller folded with it on and since the main reason I traded in my indie for the FF was to get the compact fold. . . .

As far as the stroller stopping, this may be a function of how fast I walk. I walk faster than some people run. My usual dog walk is about three miles and I do it in under an hour. I am pushing one handed a good bit of the way and also managing the dog on the leash and avoiding traffic, etc as I live in the city. So very little of my attention is devoted to avoiding big sidewalk cracks etc. I have had the stroller stop on the edge where the grass meets the sidewalk and on the lip where the road asphalt meets the concrete gutter as well as other places. There's one spot on my usual walk where that wasn't done very neatly and I have to tip the stroller onto its back wheels to get it over that spot every time.

Catherine

Multimama
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
As far as the stroller stopping, this may be a function of how fast I walk.

Well, today my 3yo asked me why I walk so slowly. So the real issue may not be how fast you walk, but how slowly I do. :)

I have no problems folding the stroller with the liner on and I have two of them. Maybe it just needs breaking in?

3sweetgirls
07-19-2012, 09:29 PM
have a couple of pics of the FF & Triumph together (so glad when my stroller obsession actually can be somewhat useful )

Great, great pics!! so, so helpful everyone!! Thanks so much. I'm excited to get it!