PDA

View Full Version : Would you let Dc play NFL Flag Football (co-ed)?

Simon
07-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Ds1 really enjoys playing sports and I am considering letting him sign up for a local NFL touch/flag football league this fall. This is probably going to be his only chance to play at its only k-1st grade. I don't think we'll let him do tackle leagues ever, and I seriously doubt he would want to. He is quite small and doesn't like contact (rough and tumble) play.

I am open to the idea but I have serious reservations about things like long-term effects of concussions in children, but in a touch league this shouldn't be an issue, right? At least, no more so than the possibility of slipping on a pool deck at swim lessons. Anyone have experience with flag/touch football?

Would/Will you let your Dc play football?

Kindra178
07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Flag football. Yes. My dc would love it.

KpbS
07-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Flag yes, tackle no way. And I would make that clear to my DC before the season started. ;)

PunkyBoo
07-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Punkin has played flag football for 4 seasons and will play again in the fall. He loves it. It is far safer than contact football, but like any sport there are some risks of injuries. Punkin and a kid on his own team were both going for the ball being thrown, didn't see eachother and Punkin's forehead crashed right into the back of his teammates head. Punkin got a bump the size of a golf ball between/ above his eyebrows. It looked so scary. DH is his coach and left to take him to the Dr. And he did not have a concussion. I have seen a lot of injuries at their games but no more than his soccer games or basketball games. I do not plan to let him play contact football when he ages out of the flag football league he's in.

Giantbear
07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Just be aware, if he loves flag football, he may want to try tackle, regardless of size. Overall, i would think it is no more dangerous than soccer or any other contact sport.

JBaxter
07-17-2012, 05:10 PM
We are a huge football family and no. We don't allow team football here till 5th grade

rlu
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Flag yes, tackle no way. And I would make that clear to my DC before the season started. ;)

We are willing to sign DS up for flag football this fall if he still wants to play. I will not let him play tackle, he knows that and he knows why, although he still asks if he can. DH has been in pain every day that I have known him due to (highschool) football injuries and we met when we were 19. It's a hell of a lifetime payment for a few fleeting years of glory.

eta: we plan to let DS play in the local co-ed rec league that runs his baseball. I do not know anything about the NFL Flag Football program specifically.

mom2binsd
07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
DS played flag last fall and loved it, he was 5, he also plays hockey and has for 3 years now.

There are some girls that play as well, and if DD had asked she could have played as well.

As for tackle, I am quite sure DS will want to play, his dad is huge football fan/former player.

THis topic has been discussed at length, some folks are comfortable with contact sports others not...however, it's interesting that a LOT of injuries occur playing soccer and baseball and nobody seems to worry to much about both of those.

ErinMC
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
My boys played flag this spring and loved it. (K and 2).
It was a great experience for them both. Tackle starts in 3rd grade here
but my 3rd grader is playing soccer instead this fall, his choice.

wellyes
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Yes, why not? It is not more dangerous than soccer, that I can see.

smilequeen
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Not unless he really really really wanted to because I'm very hesitant about it going into full on football. I am fine with contact sports...my kids play hockey. But I have other reservations about football.

Simon
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experience and opinions. I have not yet offered the option to Ds1. I want to make sure I feel comfortable with the choice and that the schedule will work for us.

Yes, I would be very clear with Ds about tackle not being an option. In fact, I see this as pretty much his only chance to play football in any formal way.

We are a huge football family and no. We don't allow team football here till 5th grade Is it still flag football at that age? I would certainly not mind waiting, but it seems all the leagues switch to tackle by that age and that is a no go for us.