PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Single stroller & board or double AT stroller for 7 and 4 year olds @ Disney?

smiles33
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
UPDATE: I bought a Bob Revolution single for $175 in great condition! I may look into a board but I think DD1 should be ok. Thanks again!

Hello again! Last year I got fantastic recs here for the BJCMD, which I bought just for Disneyland and sold about 8 months later when DD1 got too big for it. FWIW, we never use strollers normally (neither girl liked them). Yet they loved sitting in the BJCMD together.

Anyhow, we're planning a trip back to Disneyland in April 2013 and I'm starting to wonder if I should just pick up a single stroller now that I can use for DD2 (age 3 but will almost be 4 then) when we go to our local amusement parks. It would be even better if the stroller can take a board of some kind so DD1 (who will be almost 7 by then) can stand and "rest" when she's tired.

I see Mountain Buggy gets a lot of love and there is a single on my local CL for $75. Is that a good price? Seems like it to me. The fabric is really faded in the photo, but I don't care about how it looks if it has awesome handling. It's cheaper than any of the BJCMs on CL.

We are driving to Disneyland, so space isn't a big issue in the car (though I'm hoping it's not gargantuan). The air-filled tires intrigue me--I've heard so much about them but have never pushed a stroller with them.

My plan would be to use it on day trips and probably sell it on CL again after DD2 tires of it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

ETA: I just read the sticky note/threads on higher weight limit strollers and it seems like you can ignore the weight limits if the push is ok and your DC fits. Air tires make it easier to push, so this makes me wonder if I can get away with a Bob Duallie for DLR. We stay off-site at the HoJo, which is an 8 minute walk and at the end of the night, I'm sure DD1 would prefer a seat as opposed to standing on a board. How tall/heavy a child do you think the Bob Duallie can handle? She's 50th percentile and tracking the growth curve, so I expect she will be around 48" tall and 50 pounds by next April. With DD2, the two of them will be over 80 pounds. I probably would only need it to ride between park areas and the walk to the HoJo.

Kaylee31
07-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I think an MBUS would be great for your situation, and the price is right as long as the tires & frame are in good condition. I know ppl have had success using fabric paint on faded MBs to spruce them up. I'm not sure all what boards work on MBs, but there are NIB MB Freeriders on Ebay right now for $60 shipped (usually $100).

hollissmama
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
yup! Go for that Mountain Buggy, my double urban pushes better than my single city mini. Air tires are wonderful. My MBUD is super faded but it pushes so well it doesn't matter, I am going to get some maclaren liners to spruce it up. But an air tire stroller will push much better with a board too. Also most have an adjustable handle and they have plenty of room for your older daughter's head.

hollissmama
07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
I think an MBUS would be great for your situation, and the price is right as long as the tires & frame are in good condition. I know ppl have had success using fabric paint on faded MBs to spruce them up. I'm not sure all what boards work on MBs, but there are NIB MB Freeriders on Ebay right now for $60 shipped (usually $100).

I tried to dye mine with dylon (2006) w/ canvas seats and it did not take at all. :( I have been thinking about trying that spray fabric paint.

I need a freerider, I saw that deal on ebay!

hapimommy
07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I think we are looking at the same cl. I have a duo, and it is awesome. The push is unbelievable. I think 75 is not too expensive for how well built their strollers are. And if you ever want to get a new fabric set, the mountain buggy website sells them. Have fun at Disneyland!

BayGirl2
07-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Smiles - I have the Free Rider and use it on my MB +One. I totally recommend it! I have pics posted somewhere here of them together.

If you want a board for Disney the FreeRider is a great choice because its narrower so you can walk next to it instead of behind it, and it folds up when you aren't using it. Plus its so cute that all kids love using it.

I'm sort of local to you if you ever want to check it out with your DDs to see if they like it. I got mine at Rockridge Kids.
ETA: Just checked out that CL add. That looks like a good deal. Faded for Disney is probably a good thing.

smiles33
07-18-2012, 11:24 AM
doh! i waited too long and the CL ad is gone. I'll keep an eye out for this brand then. any other suggestions are welcome, too! thanks all.

ETA: I see Bumbleride Indie has air tires, too, and found one for $120. Emailed that seller already but it's a bit suspicious since there's only a stock photo and no other details. Any other brands with air tires that I might be able to get for under $150? I probably will just re-sell on CL after our Disney trip as DD2 will be almost 4 by then. Thanks!

gamma
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Another idea would be a BOB Revolution single, the lighter child could hitch a ride by sitting in the footwell at the end of the day. This would eliminate the need for a board. I found that this works well for older children who are really tired and need to sit not stand on a board. My favorite stroller is a MB single, but my DGC were never comfortable sitting on the footplate of the single only the MB double.

smiles33
07-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Another idea would be a BOB Revolution single, the lighter child could hitch a ride by sitting in the footwell at the end of the day. This would eliminate the need for a board. I found that this works well for older children who are really tired and need to sit not stand on a board. My favorite stroller is a MB single, but my DGC were never comfortable sitting on the footplate of the single only the MB double.

There are a bunch of Bob Revolution single and dual lies on my CL. Wow, they really seem to hold their value (or sellers are just stubborn). I see 3-4 year old singles selling for $250-300 FIRM, when REI retails at $400 and 20% off (assuming you can wait and Bob isn's excluded) would be around $320 new.

crl
07-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Bobs really do hold their value. For bigger/heavier kids I think a bob or MB would be better than an indie, though I loved my indie.

Catherine

hapimommy
07-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Just checked our cl, and there are two mbud listings right now. Both are for 250. The stroller weight limit is 100+ pounds, and they are cheaper than used bob duallies. If dd1 doesn't want to ride, then you can use one side to carry more stuff. I think a double is a great idea, especially if your dd1 wants to sit down to rest, and if you don't need to constantly fold your stroller.

daniele_ut
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
If you can find a well priced MBUD, I'd go for it. We will be using ours in DL this fall and I suspect DD will only ride in it occasionally while DS2 will use it constantly, but the push is fantastic and the storage space will be great. We used it in Legoland this summer and it was GREAT. The only negative for me is the sunshade ( mine does not have independent ones) but we remedied thatby using binder clips to attach a blanket that I flipped down when necessary. I had been considering selling it to get a single Bob Revolution, but dh is adamantly against that. He said not to sell it until DD is definitely too big for it. She's only 32lbs right now at 4, so she'll still fit in it at 7.

We also found that it took up much less room in the trunk of our van than my B-Ready. I took off the wheels and put them in first and then out the flat side of the stroller against the back of the rear seat and bungied the stroller to the seat.

smiles33
07-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Quick: is $150 for a 5 year old Bob Revolutiion single worth it? Split handlebar, dingy/stained, but who cares for DLR, right? Just poor resale value. The nice newer ones are $250-320). WWYD?

I saw the MBUD but now I am rethinking the double. I guess I hesitate to get a double for a nearly 7 year old, especially if we go back to the hotel each afternoon again and make them both rest.

hapimommy
07-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I noticed there is a runabout for 150 also. I think valco tends to make a taller seat, just in case you wanted to consider it, they have the add-on seat, but your kids might have already passed the 35 lb weight limit.

smiles33
07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I decided to pass on the single Bob. DH pointed out that I am not going to be happy with a dingy dirty stroller. Yeah, DD2 is likely to be around 35 or more by next April so I'll pass on the Valco. I think I'll keep my eye out for a single MBU or Bob and worst case scenario: pile both of them in at the end of the night. Thanks all!

spunkybaby
07-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I bought an old P3 for $30, and we used that at Disneyland and Disney World. No air tires, but the step on the back is perfect for DD1 to stand on at the end of the day when she's tired.

tarynsmum
07-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Posted in the wrong place :o

smiles33
07-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Since the thread was bumped, see update in post 1!

rileysmom
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I would skip the BOB. My tall 3 year old (39 inches) is too tall for a BOB and her head hits the canopy. Unless you dont have a desire to use the canopy.

BayGirl2
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
That's a great update! Should be fun to use there, and I'm sure your DDs can take turns riding at times too. IIRC you break for naps, so both napping together in the stroller will not be an issue.

(Mine will only nap in the stroller or car, so their nap time is our Child Swap time. :yay:)