PDA

View Full Version : Android phone vs. I-phone, which do you prefer and why?

jerseygirl07067
07-17-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm hoping to move into the 21st century, and plan on getting a smartphone. I just got an Samsung Galaxy Android for work, and really like it, and am still learning all of its features, but this is all new to me.

I'd love to hear your opinions! People I've spoken to seem to be very divided on this.

BillK
07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Android. It's open source, I can customize it how I like, it is 4g, it has a screen bigger than 3.5", it's not an iclone, I can wirelessly tether it to our tablets when traveling and not pay extra fees to access the data I've already paid for, it has a removable/replaceable battery and finally...being a gadget junkie I can unlock and root it easily. In fact I'm now running Android version 4.1 (jellybean) on it and it rocks. Jellybean truly is huge and will be a big step up for Android once its widely released. Google Now kicks Siri's butt all over the place. :applause:

wellyes
07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
iPhone. Elegant, easy, user friendly, most and best apps, biggest community of common users. Sometimes it really is more fun to join the crowd.

MMMommy
07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Android. I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Pros for me -

Bigger screen (easier to see things, easier to type on)
Customization
Customized notification lights (email, texts, missed calls, etc)
Gmail/Google Calendar integration

MMMommy
07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Jellybean truly is huge and will be a big step up for Android once its widely released. Google Now kicks Siri's butt all over the place. :applause:

Lucky you! Can't wait for the Jellybean update to make it to my phone.

ckso
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I love my iPhone but to be fair I have never used android. But base on what Billk said, I'm definitely going to say iPhone lol. I'm not techy at all and really wants something easy to use. So even if the android is open source and customizable, I wouldn't know how

BillK
07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Lucky you! Can't wait for the Jellybean update to make it to my phone.

You can get it too. It's really not all that complicated as long as you follow the directions for unlocking, rooting and flashing the rom.

larig
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM
iphone--excellent customer service and support (they just replaced DH's iPhone 4, because the home button was sticking). We had applecare, but I never every activated it (as a long-time apple owner this was my first applecare purchase and didn't know I was supposed to!). They honored it anyway! I was so happy.

fantastic resale value. (although we just keep ours, DS has used them as an iPod touch after taking a SIM card out).

you can count on your phone's OS being upgraded (apple just announced that even the 3gs--a phone you can get for free--will be supported for many of the iOS features).

FaceTime (http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/) (which we'll be able to do over 3G & 4G after iOS 6 comes out) & iMessage--both DH and my parents have iPhones, so we communicate for free, and DS gets to SEE his grandparents.

using it with an appleTV is AWESOME! me: "DH want to see a video of DS climbing at the park?" I simply play the video from my phone on my TV via mirroring. Airplay works for many apps too. I can airplay pandora radio through my appleTV, for instance.

I don't think there's that much difference, honestly in the gadgets themselves. If you live in an area with an apple store there's a distinct advantage to buying apple for the support alone. I don't think that the employees at a carrier's stores or best buy can possibly know as much about each of the the many many phones (android, feature phones, iPhones, etc.) they have to sell as an apple store person knows about the iPhone (I mean, they only have to know 1 kind of phone!)

larig
07-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Android. It's open source, I can customize it how I like, it is 4g, it has a screen bigger than 3.5", it's not an iclone, I can wirelessly tether it to our tablets when traveling and not pay extra fees to access the data I've already paid for, it has a removable/replaceable battery and finally...being a gadget junkie I can unlock and root it easily. In fact I'm now running Android version 4.1 (jellybean) on it and it rocks. Jellybean truly is huge and will be a big step up for Android once its widely released. Google Now kicks Siri's butt all over the place. :applause:

I'm not sure what you mean about google kicking siri's butt? I was listening to Leo Laporte (tech guy podcast) this weekend and he said that Siri's more accurate than google's voice equivalent. Many people have been citing Piper Jaffray's study (which was a weird design, btw). He compared asking siri questions to asking google search (via typing). So then the headlines are reported Siri gets D and google gets B+ (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/29/minneapolis-street-test-google-gets-a-b-apples-siri-gets-a-d/). I believe he was trying to determine if a person should stop and type the question in or use siri when they have a query to make. Not, "should I use android or Siri?" as some reporters seem to be presuming.

BillK
07-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm referring to Google Now vs. Siri not regular old google voice search.

Google Now is new with the Jellybean update to Android.

http://www.businessinsider.com/battle-google-now-vs-apples-siri-video-2012-7

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/28/google-now-v-siri/

newmomto1
07-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I have had android for a couple years and can't wait to get an iphone!
I looooved my phone at first (coming from a blackberry), but it has become so buggy it drives me crazy! Apps force closing, screen freezing, texting errors, etc.
I am actually due for my upgrade now but am trying to hold out for the new iphone. It can't come soon enough for me as my android is circling the drain!

okinawama
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I started out with a Droid, but as time went on, it became incredibly glitchy, to the point that for about the last month I owned the phone I could no longer receive calls (I could see that I had an incoming call, but when I'd go to slide the button to answer it, it would freeze. every.single.time), when I brought it up to Verizon, they said that they had heard tons of stories like mine. The apps force closed constantly and sending and receiving texts was spotty.

I've heard that droid is excellent for customizing, but ultimately, what I wanted was a phone that WORKED! There are things I don't love about my iphone ( terrible navigation, I'm not a fan of apple customer service, the email isn't as quick in updating), but it performs consistently and dependably, and for me, that far out weighs any customizations I could make with my Droid.

queenmama
07-17-2012, 11:28 PM

What he said! ;)

I'm still running ICS, though, so I'm all kinds of jealous!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

codex57
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Apple. Easily.

1) It works. All the time. Smoothly. Apple products are polished, finished products. Google ones always feel about 75% finished, and then shipped out anyways. And most of them crash a ton.
2) I get updates. Whenever a fancy new iOS update comes out, I get it. If something from Google comes out, if you have an existing phone, it's highly unlikely you'll ever get it. So, if you want it, you have to buy a new handset and even if you wanted to do that, only a couple phones even have that newest update. I find it hilarious when Android people drool over a new version saying, "I can't wait for it to come out on my phone!" I hope you have a lot of patience.
3) Pretty much any good app comes out in iTunes first, and sometimes only in iTunes.
4) Having a standard way of doing things means it's a lot easier to find someone to help you figure something out. Support becomes far, far better because there aren't a million variables to take into account
5) Fantastic resale.
6) No matter which version you get, they all have fantastic battery life
7) Tons of accessories
8) Apple TV is fantastic when you have kids
9) Google Mail and Calendar integrate just fine with the iPhone. Shoot, even Chrome is out for the iOS.

hellokitty
07-18-2012, 01:43 PM
If you're not a computer geek type, then go with the iphone, it's easy to use. My DH is a snob about wanting an open source phone and he is very much a computer geek, so he prefers droid.

Nechums
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
I would prefer an iphone for reasons stated above, but I started off with an Android and now can't give up certain features that I'm used to.

AnnieW625
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
I went back and forth last year when debating about what I should get. I had two Motorola phones in the 9 yrs. I had a cell phone (at the time) and I was really happy with them. I thought about a Droid X and the other Droid with the keyboard, but still wasn't 100% sold on them. Plus I never felt like I needed to be able to customize things and I am technology simpleton and wanted something that was easy to use.

I was able to get an iPhone 4s for $99 due to still having a $100 credit with Verizon for their now defunct new every 2 program. I am very happy I did. I love my phone and I am glad I waited. I know that while a new iPhone 5 will come out in the next year I know that there is a good chance that I will feel that my phone is still pretty up to date and will work for a long time. If I had known I wanted a new phone in 2 yrs. again I probably would have gone with the Droid or gotten the iPhone 4 for free.

In regards to Siri, yeah I don't think she is all that great. I ask her to call people when I am on the road or to show me the traffic before I get on the freeway. I have never asked her to make an apple pie or to tell me a dirty joke. Siri was not my motivation to get an iPhone 4s.

GaPeach_in_Ca
07-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Either one is fine.

I'm very happy with my Droid (Razr) and find my son's iPod infuriating. Why only 1 button!?!? I'm not very patient, though. :) I'm sure I would like it just fine if I had it as my one and only device.

jiggaman
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Apple may update their devices but I'm a little upset by them leaving things out.

With the new iOS 6, the iphone 4 won't get facetime over 3G, 3D maps, turn by turn GPS, and Siri. The ipad 2 won't get facetime over 3G, passbook or Siri.

The iphone 4 and ipad 2 should be able to run that software. I feel like they really want to push me to upgrade my hardware even though I may not need to.

The iphone 4 should at least have turn by turn GPS, every android phone can run Google nav. Also, my iphone and ipad have their share of crashes and lags.

hellokitty
07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Apple may update their devices but I'm a little upset by them leaving things out.

The iphone 4 should at least have turn by turn GPS, every android phone can run Google nav. Also, my iphone and ipad have their share of crashes and lags.

ITA. I hate that my iphone doesn't have a good navigation program and I'm annoyed that I've had my iphone 4 for less than a yr, and now they are releasing a new update that excludes my phone. Not cool. The iphone 4 isn't THAT old.

BillK
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Isn't Apple also removing Google Maps from all their devices in iOS 6 in favor of their own mapping program?

larig
07-18-2012, 03:05 PM
ITA. I hate that my iphone doesn't have a good navigation program and I'm annoyed that I've had my iphone 4 for less than a yr, and now they are releasing a new update that excludes my phone. Not cool. The iphone 4 isn't THAT old.

The iPhone 4 will be 2 years old, and it's going to be supported for the most part. Given that one can upgrade every 2 years with a contract, I think that it could be argued that in cell-phone years it is old. I have no complaints in terms of support for the features on the various iPhones, especially since the 3gs is even going to get some upgrade love. BTW, the 4 and ipad2s have completely different processors from the 4s and ipad3. But, the frustration you're feeling is understandable, given you bought your 4 recently. I always try to suggest that people consider the age of the model of a phone when they buy one. If you buy a one-year old phone, you're going to have one less year with it being current

Try Waze, I'm really pleased with it. Their recent update has great new features. I don't know that I'll switch to apple's nav system, because I love the crowd-source traffic, road work, police notifications I get on the app.

Let's face it, though, if all the phones got all the features with every upgrade we wouldn't ever want to upgrade, and Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc. would all go out of business. It's their job to makes us want new shiny objects.

larig
07-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Isn't Apple also removing Google Maps from all their devices in iOS 6 in favor of their own mapping program?

yes. Tom Tom will be their primary map provider now, I believe.

hellokitty
07-18-2012, 03:32 PM
The iPhone 4 will be 2 years old, and it's going to be supported for the most part. Given that one can upgrade every 2 years with a contract, I think that's it could be argued that in cell-phone years it is old. I have no complaints in terms of support for the features on the various iPhones, especially since the 3gs is even going to get some upgrade love. BTW, the 4 and ipad2s have completely different processors from the 4s and ipad3. But, the frustration you're feeling is understandable, given you bought your 4 recently. I always try to suggest that people consider the age of the model of a phone when they buy one. If you buy a one-year old phone, you're going to have one less year with it being current

Try Waze, I'm really pleased with it. Their recent update has great new features. I don't know that I'll switch to apple's nav system, because I love the crowd-source traffic, road work, police notifications I get on the app.

Let's face it, though, if all the phones got all the features with every upgrade we wouldn't ever want to upgrade, and Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc. would all go out of business. It's their job to makes us want new shiny objects.

Yeah, Waze is a joke. I tried it on the way to my friend's house when I first got my phone in October. She lives 15 min away. It said it would take 2 hrs to get to her house. I deleted it, but I guess if they are giving me no choice, I will have to check it out again. However, DH just ordered a new GPS for my car, so hopefully that will be fine (our GPS unit in my car now is 8 yrs old). I didn't get the 4s, b/c I did not feel that I would utilize siri, so it seemed to be a wasted feature to me. I didn't really see a big difference btwn the 4 and 4s, except for siri and I think the camera was a little bit better for the 4s, otherwise, they seemed pretty similar.

larig
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Waze is a joke. I tried it on the way to my friend's house when I first got my phone in October. She lives 15 min away. It said it would take 2 hrs to get to her house. I deleted it, but I guess if they are giving me no choice, I will have to check it out again. However, DH just ordered a new GPS for my car, so hopefully that will be fine (our GPS unit in my car now is 8 yrs old). I didn't get the 4s, b/c I did not feel that I would utilize siri, so it seemed to be a wasted feature to me. I didn't really see a big difference btwn the 4 and 4s, except for siri and I think the camera was a little bit better for the 4s, otherwise, they seemed pretty similar.

Wow, a joke? Pretty harsh assessment. I'm just trying to help out. There are plenty of other options, however. One company was having a 1/2 sale (it is a $60 app, so it's on sale for $30--Navigon, maybe?)

I honestly really like Waze, but I've used it since December only. I find its time estimates incredibly accurate, but it may be a function of where I live (I think there is a fairly dense level of use here--you can see other drivers' icons on your map as you are driving). Since it bases its assessment on their real time user-reported traffic this is very important. It's way better than my stupid GPS which wants me to spend the cost of a new on to upgrade the darn maps.

The turn-by-turn uses Siri, so since the 4 has no Siri it can't do turn-by-turn. Here's a breakdown of the hardware specs of the 4 vs. the 4s (http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/iphone4s_vs_iphone4_v1.5.png). There is double the RAM & a better processor in the 4s, which explains why, I think, they are limiting the features to the 4s.

I'm guessing some of this will be available if you want to jailbreak after iOS 6 comes out. (jail breaking is not hard or illegal).

ETA: OP, If you have to buy NOW, the iPhone is a less attractive option. If you can wait until the 5 comes out in a month or two (Sept, I'm guessing), you're better off.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone! What I'm hearing is that Android phones = more customizing ability, better navigation, bigger screens, but potential to get buggy at times. I phones - navigation not as good, not as customizable, but very user friendly, esp for someone who's not as tech savvy.

Can you tell me some examples of things you can customize on an Android that might not be as feasible on an I phone? That would help me a lot!

BillK
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone! What I'm hearing is that Android phones = more customizing ability, better navigation, bigger screens, but potential to get buggy at times. I phones - navigation not as good, not as customizable, but very user friendly, esp for someone who's not as tech savvy.

Can you tell me some examples of things you can customize on an Android that might not be as feasible on an I phone? That would help me a lot!

Widgets? You can have a calendar widget on any screen that shows any upcoming appointments on your calendar (or spouses if you share their's too). Don't like the stock keyboard? Just download Swiftkey or Swype and change it. Need more home screens? Download a new launcher and add more. Want a weather widget on your screen that's always up to date (and can launch an app like Weatherbug or The Weather Channel for the full forecast with a simple press)? Download one of the many available. Want a quick contact on a screen for frequently called/text'd people? Make a small contact widget for them. The possibilities are endless. I'll post some screen grabs of my home screens in a few minutes...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7cWW3Xml2KA/UAdiUpiAp6I/AAAAAAAAByE/FsBUrpvnahI/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-25-14.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j4mAsgsrjqU/UAdiVYs4KDI/AAAAAAAAByM/zyFTuTD5YRA/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-25-20.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i_g-092-D6A/UAdiWLSvhCI/AAAAAAAAByU/BRFoNEp6U_g/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-25-25.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8cF3iLoXh-o/UAdiXPoaDWI/AAAAAAAAByc/vaDOAXEocR0/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-25-40.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TSbBIrYZKeM/UAdiYd-RU5I/AAAAAAAAByk/AOob-pawbCs/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-25-47.png

With an iPhone you can put app icons on your home screens (or folders filled with apps) and that's about it.

BillK
07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Here's some shots of the new Jelly Bean lock screen and Google Now.

Swiping up will show Google Now cards. In my case - earlier tonight it showed a mini map to the boys hockey arena with a Nav link you could launch Google Navigation with estimated travel time based on traffic from our home (sorry its gone now that we're home) right above the Pirates score in the shot below. It also shows sports scores if you want, the forecast and upcoming appointments. If you use public transport it'll show bus/subway schedules and estimated travel times to work and home etc and just keeps getting smarter the more you use it (and Google searches on your pc or Mac). Or you can just click the mic in the search bar and tell it what you want. It really is amazing.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nXyieVqBrJs/UAdkenpAQ9I/AAAAAAAABys/XGk9MawWhTM/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-35-17.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hzHknBMRw80/UAdkjrZNQEI/AAAAAAAABy0/HeQLQK8pAZk/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-34-54.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7JYvlQDyAoo/UAdklUrKCEI/AAAAAAAABy8/woNuMuvCMAY/s640/Screenshot_2012-07-18-21-35-06.png

hellokitty
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow, a joke? Pretty harsh assessment. I'm just trying to help out. There are plenty of other options, however. One company was having a 1/2 sale (it is a $60 app, so it's on sale for $30--Navigon, maybe?)

I honestly really like Waze, but I've used it since December only. I find its time estimates incredibly accurate, but it may be a function of where I live (I think there is a fairly dense level of use here--you can see other drivers' icons on your map as you are driving). Since it bases its assessment on their real time user-reported traffic this is very important. It's way better than my stupid GPS which wants me to spend the cost of a new on to upgrade the darn maps.

The turn-by-turn uses Siri, so since the 4 has no Siri it can't do turn-by-turn. Here's a breakdown of the hardware specs of the 4 vs. the 4s (http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/iphone4s_vs_iphone4_v1.5.png). There is double the RAM & a better processor in the 4s, which explains why, I think, they are limiting the features to the 4s.

I'm guessing some of this will be available if you want to jailbreak after iOS 6 comes out. (jail breaking is not hard or illegal).

ETA: OP, If you have to buy NOW, the iPhone is a less attractive option. If you can wait until the 5 comes out in a month or two (Sept, I'm guessing), you're better off.

See, I'm used to use sprint navigation. That is what I used on my palm pre and it was very straight forward. However, the iphone doesn't access sprint navigation, even as a sprint customer. I'm glad you like waze, I will have to try it again, but really my experience with it was not to take it seriously, since it was so completely off with directions. I'll download it again to see if the newer version is better.

Thanks for the jailbreak suggestion.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks BillK! You are the tech guru here! So widgets are apps that are already open and running, is that correct? Do you just have each one on its own home page? Do you find that you can only have so many on there before your phone slows down?

This has been a fun education for me....widgets, jailbreaking, mirroring, etc all new terms that I am learning.

Oh, and what Android do you have? I don't need top of the line, but want one with a decent camera. My work one is a Samsung Galaxy, I'm drawing a blank as to which one at the moment. I have to check my OP.

I will say I am drawn to the larger screen of the Android too.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks HelloKitty. I won't be buying just yet, I'm in no rush, and that way I can test drive my work Android. However, I'm also trying to keep my monthly bill lower, and T Mobile's prices can't be beat and the coverage is pretty good where I live. I don't think they have an iphone yet, but could be wrong. I think they're supposed to be adding them to their service plans soon.

I will wait and see. This weekend I am going to test drive my friend's Iphone too, and compare a bit.

BillK
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks BillK! You are the tech guru here! So widgets are apps that are already open and running, is that correct? Do you just have each one on its own home page? Do you find that you can only have so many on there before your phone slows down?

This has been a fun education for me....widgets, jailbreaking, mirroring, etc all new terms that I am learning.

Oh, and what Android do you have? I don't need top of the line, but want one with a decent camera. My work one is a Samsung Galaxy, I'm drawing a blank as to which one at the moment. I have to check my OP.

I will say I am drawn to the larger screen of the Android too.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4g on Verizon.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Okay, that is the one I was thinking of getting. Do you know anything about the Galaxy Blaze? I was looking at that one too.

BillK
07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
The Blaze is more of a middle of the road kind of device. Not really on the same level as the Nexus or Galaxy S3.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
I just looked, T-mobile doesn't offer the Nexus. It does offer the S3 though. In fact, I've been reading up on T-mobile more tonight, they don't always have the latest offerings like Sprint, At&T and Verizon. But the monthly price can't be beat and since I'm new to the world of smartphones, it should still work well for me.

I will keep my eye on the prices of all of them. I do like Verizon service in my area too, just too pricey for my budget. They did mention a possible 2 for 1 next month.

arivecchi
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Chiming in late, but I have a droid x and DH has an iphone. We are not techies - at all!

DH's phone does seem to run smoothly and gets better reception in remote areas (we both have verizon), but that's where the advantages end for me. His screen is so much smaller, not as bright as mine, the navigation sucks and no widgets.

I have no idea how to jailbreak or do any of the cool things that BillK can do, but as a non-techie, I still prefer my droid (and the droid x is not the best droid). I'm on my second droid x (first one started overheating and was glitchy) and Verizon replaced it without any issues (I had insurance).

Good luck choosing!

TwinFoxes
07-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I sometimes think this is a Coke vs Pepsi type argument! Trying to convince a Coke lover that Pepsi is better, and vice versa, is pretty impossible.

But for me, I love the iPhone. Everyone else seems to be playing catch up. I've also heard that a lot of the apps for Android just plain suck and screw up your phone. Open source can mean a lot of crappy programmers trying out their skills with you as unwitting beta tester.

kboyle
07-24-2012, 06:07 PM
i currently have a samsung galaxy s3 to "try out" for the next 7 days. i've had it for a week and like it. Background: i have a iphone 4s, i HAD a droidx. i wanted iphone because i wanted a non-glitchy phone, something that would always work...i totally got that with the iphone. less than a yr later (got iphone 4s at oct release) i'm really not a big fan. i used another lines upgrade and got the Galaxy S3...LOVE the big screen, love having my widgets back, love the customized LED notifications, love 4g...but i'm already having freezing and glitchy issues.

i've got 7 days to decide if i'm keeping him or going back to the iphone. i really don't like it, but...it works...without a problem...reliable (iphone) vs. awesome, convenient, and totally rocks (android)...such a tough decision...

Mommy_Mea
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I like Droid, but I have never tried an iPhone, and it is largely for the economics.

I just got a smartphone (LG Optimus Elite) and have service for $35/month (unlimited text/data) through Virgin Mobile. I paid less than $100 for the phone. I am very happy with how it functions, but again, as my first smartphone, I have nothing to compare it to. However, the reviews I read said that for a basic smartphone, it is great!

I could get an iPhone through Virgin Mobile, but I would have to pay $600 :eek: I keep asking people, what is so much better about the iPhone to pay an extra $500? I haven't gotten a good answer yet.

It sounds like you are looking at paying similar out of pocket for either Droid or iPhone, so this really doesn't come into play for you, but I thought it might help someone else :)

indigo99
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm not techy or a Mac person, but I really like my iphone. DH is a computer programmer and hates Mac so he has a droid. The camera on my phone is better than his. Mine is "easier", but his can do more navigation-wise once you get the hang of it (having just one button on iphone is a PITA at times). DS REALLY prefers mommy's phone and will throw DH's phone on the ground if he has a choice between the two even though all of his games are on DH's phone. I think he just finds it easier to use mine. Also, DH's phone is larger which is a plus for him, but I see it as a negative for me.