PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Add On Items?

emschwar
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Has anyone else noticed this? Items that they say are "cost prohibitive" to ship and can only be included with an order over $25. Including for prime members - even though we're paying amazon $79 a year, we still can't order these things unless we include them with an order over $25.

(And in case you're wondering, I checked - it includes things I've ordered in the past with free prime shipping. And now I can't order them unless I have an order over $25. Makes me mad.)

nrp
07-17-2012, 10:43 PM
There was a thread on this a week or so ago. I just checked and at least three of the items I've ordered in the last year on Prime are now in the "Add-On" program, so it is indeed *not* just new items (as the description seemed to suggest). I'm annoyed, but overall it is a small percentage of my orders. I will think about it when deciding whether to renew Prime this Fall - this, combined with the fact that Amazon is now charging sales tax for me makes it not as attractive (the tax is not their fault, but it makes Amazon less competitive).

ssand23
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
I contacted Amazon about this. They said that if you don't spend $25, you can't order these items at all. They were things Amazon sold in the past in individual packages even though Amazon makes it sound like they used to be only available in bulk.
I told them that this kills the perk of having a Prime membership & this is why I won't be renewing it when it expires. Why bother to spend $79 on a Prime membership if you must spend $25 to order items? Other websites may charge shipping, but they don't restrict what you are allowed to purchase.

emschwar
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks, nrp - I was out of town last week so I must have missed that thread. I'll look it up.

I wouldn't even mind so much if it just had to be ordered with another non-add-on item. But this $25 minimum to order certain things is ridiculous, especially since I'm paying them $79 per year. I contacted them about it too, and got a stock "you can order enough of them to add up to $25, or add on to another order" answer.

sewarsh
07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Just went to purchase something from Amazon and saw it was an "Add on" item.

I came here to search for it and found this and another thread. I'm really pissed considering i just signed up for Prime 2 weeks ago. (Of course, I am splitting it with 2 others, so its only $27 per person, but still, this is really a shame).