PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your kids eat veggies straight from the garden?

mikala
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Do you let your kids eat veggies straight from the garden without washing them first? Are there specific health risks to eating food this way? This is assuming a home garden that hasn't been treated with pesticides. This came up in conversation with a friend the other day and I'm curious to hear other opinions.

I remember snacking from the garden while growing up and have simply never thought much of it. We'd eat wild raspberries while we harvested them and it was easy to steal a few cherry tomatoes off the vine while running around the yard.

Clarity
07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I do, as long as there are no pesticides used in the garden.

jren
07-17-2012, 11:25 PM
As long as it isn't touching the dirt. I have an organic garden, so no pesticides but my soil includes composted manure.

ahisma
07-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes. At home, at the CSA, and at organic u-picks.

Half of my kids' veggie consumption in the growing season is in the garden.

okinawama
07-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Our fruits/veggies rarely even make it inside the house, so yes, my son eats plenty of unwashed veggies. I guess I hadn't even thought twice about it. We don't treat our garden with any pesticides or spray fertilizers, so I guess I thought it was relatively safe.

BayGirl2
07-17-2012, 11:36 PM
We ate from the garden when we were little. But we don't really at home. Mainly DS picks strawberries and we bring them inside and wash them first. I wouldn't have a major problem with it if they did, but we think washing is a good habit. We don't use pesticides.

Our CSA is CCOF (certified organic) and the farmer strongly suggests washing everything first. Especially greens like spinach, they should be soaked twice.

My understanding was that there can still be some contamination that can cause illness. In fact SIL mentioned someone she knew getting "trenchmouth" from eating dirty produce. Not something I've done a ton of research on, but since our farmer suggested it and a lot of our stuff comes with dirt on it, I just play it safe.

ETA: I'm not trying to be alarmist about the trenchmouth thing, I always found the story a bit suspicious. But I did just google to verify that condition does exist. Doesn't seem to have a link to dirty veggies though! Our farmer's concern is more around the salmonella/eColi in spinach kind of thing.

sarahsthreads
07-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Good gracious, there is nothing better than peas picked and eaten straight off the vine! And raspberries warmed by the sun. Mmmm. I can't imagine not letting my kids experience that kind of bliss. I always feel like I should offer the u-pick places a chance to weigh my kids before and after so I can pay for the extras they've eaten...

(I also lick the beaters after making batter that includes raw eggs, and allow my children to do so as well. So far nobody's ever gotten sick from it. :shrug: )

Sarah :)

oneplustwo
07-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I voted yes. Kids end up consuming a good amount of dirt anyway, I feel, so I see no harm when we pop those wild blueberries (picked in Maine last week), raspberries, snap peas, tomatoes, etc. in our mouths. Carrots and the like tasted best to my kids when picked up at our CSA, just rinsed clean of dirt but not washed with soap or scrubbed.

citymama
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Heck yeah! They love it. We forage for wild blackberries too. Who could deprive a kid of such joy?

TwinFoxes
07-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Unless I get there first! ;) Sun warm cherry tomatoes off the vine, so good!

JBaxter
07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
YES I grew up on a farm and a little dirt never hurt anyone.

I trust whats coming out of my moms garden < or my few plants> 100X over anything at the grocery store.

trales
07-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Very few of our veggies make it to the kitchen, most are consumed right next to the vine.

wellyes
07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
We ate from the garden when we were little. But we don't really at home. Mainly DS picks strawberries and we bring them inside and wash them first. I wouldn't have a major problem with it if they did, but we think washing is a good habit. We don't use pesticides.

Our CSA is CCOF (certified organic) and the farmer strongly suggests washing everything first. Especially greens like spinach, they should be soaked twice.

My understanding was that there can still be some contamination that can cause illness. In fact SIL mentioned someone she knew getting "trenchmouth" from eating dirty produce. Not something I've done a ton of research on, but since our farmer suggested it and a lot of our stuff comes with dirt on it, I just play it safe.

ETA: I'm not trying to be alarmist about the trenchmouth thing, I always found the story a bit suspicious. But I did just google to verify that condition does exist. Doesn't seem to have a link to dirty veggies though! Our farmer's concern is more around the salmonella/eColi in spinach kind of thing.
CSA goods I'd wash. I presume they use fertilizer & stuff like that.

Small home garden - I'd gobble up straight from the vine.

There is nothing on this earth like a tomato that is still warm inside from the sun.

scrooks
07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Yep...not a single blackberry has made it in to the house this summer...all consumed directly from the bush!

elliput
07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
DD pulled up a couple of carrots the other day and insisted they be washed first. It would not bother me if they ate tomatoes right off the vine though.