PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever considered purchasing an Otoscope?

BabbyO
07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I think DS2 is on his second round of ear infections in a month. Seriously...I don't want to go in and have the doc say no infection and still pay the $30 copay...then be back in 2-3 days because it did turn into an ear infection.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever considered purchasing an Otoscope? Would you consider it if your kids were prone to EI's?

lizzywednesday
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes, I'd consider one. Long-term, it's not a lot to spend to save the early sick-visit copays.

My mother even offered to buy one for my sister because my nephew had so many as an infant at daycare.

kerridean
07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I would not do this. I am an audiologist. It takes A GREAT DEAL of training and experience to properly identify fluid behind the eardrum or an ear infection. I often see pediatricians and PCs misidentifying ear infections and fluid in children and adults.

buddyleebaby
07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
We have one.
Truthfully, though, when one of mine has an ear infection I can tell without looking.

ETA: I did want to add that it was my husband who saw DD2's ear tube stuck (out of place) in her ear when she was having some pain. The ped had told us twice that it had fallen out and it was so tiny we must not have noticed. It was only when I pushed her and said my husband thought he had seen it that she looked again.

gatorsmom
07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
My pediatrician recommended that I get one so I did. I use it occasionally but I know I'm no pediatrician. I can't diagnose. So the kids end up going in to see the ped anyway.

BabbyO
07-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I would not do this. I am an audiologist. It takes A GREAT DEAL of training and experience to properly identify fluid behind the eardrum or an ear infection. I often see pediatricians and PCs misidentifying ear infections and fluid in children and adults.

I recognize it takes TONS of training...but wouldn't you at least be able to see inflamation/redness that could indicate a likely ear infection? I'm frustrated with going to the Dr., being told...."well its not an ear infection yet, but it could/most likely will become one in the next few days." So then I have to wait a few days and go back....

I'm not trying to replace my dr's diagnosis...just unnecessary trips to see her.

ETA: I have a 10 mo old that is teething AND getting ear infections a lot...so it is tough to tell which is causing the tugging, poking, and trouble sleeping.

cntrymoon2
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I bought one and have never really had success with it. DD never wants me to push it in far enough to get a good view of the ear drum, and I have a hard time telling what I'm looking at. I wouldn't repeat the purchase.

div_0305
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I've heard of other parents getting these. I wonder if there is a really user friendly one out there that most parents buy. I would definitely consider getting one in your shoes. Co-pays are so annoying, especially when it is for something you could avoid going in for. At the least, you will hopefully see how the ear looks when there is no infection and then be able to compare when it looks off. I hope you can get a decent priced one somewhere. As another poster wrote above, her pediatrician recommended in FAVOR of getting one--that's awesome! If mine were younger or more prone to them, I'd get one, at least to have some idea as to whether it was teething or something else causing a change in behavior besides an ear infection. My DD especially showed little or no symptoms of an ear infection until it was really, really bad--one time it wasn't until her ear drum burst and I noticed the fluid outside her ear that we realized she had an infection. The ped refers to her as "one tough princess." My DS has very little tolerance for pain so we knew just by looking at him if he had one.

BabbyO
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I saw this one on Amazon. Lots of reviews and a good rating for home use....

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Dr-Mom-Slimline-Stainless/dp/B000J1FT4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1342629874&sr=1-1&keywords=otoscope

Karenn
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I had one when my kids were little. It was a waste for me. I could never tell what I was looking at. The kit included pictures that showed infected and non-infected ears and I still couldn't figure it out.

mom2binsd
07-18-2012, 02:16 PM

:yeahthat:

I'm an SLP with a round in the audiology clinic and even so would not presume to be able to accurately diagnose an ear infection using an otoscope. I think it's best left to the doctor.

sntm
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm a physician (though not a ped) and I thought it was very difficult to do a good otoscope exam. If you buy one, I doubt you will be able to tell convincingly and definitively if your kid has an ear infection. False sense of security (or worry!)