PDA

View Full Version : Do You Monogram Backpacks?

Kindra178
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I love monograms (especially when two kids have the same backpack). But I am beginning to realize it's more trouble than its worth (donating, etc). Thoughts?

gatorsmom
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
We don't monogram anyhthing in our house because most of our stuff turns into hand me downs. I suppose I could do the first initial of our last name. But then no one outside out family would want to use it if we donated it.

ha98ed14
07-18-2012, 01:16 PM
We don't monogram anyhthing in our house because most of our stuff turns into hand me downs. I suppose I could do the first initial of our last name. But then no one outside out family would want to use it if we donated it.

And we monogram a lot because DD is the only one who will ever use it in our family, and I want to make sure it finds it's way back to her. I am not worried about the old recommendation not to put DC's name on things because a would-be kidnapper will call it out and pretend to know them. DD will always be picked up by one of us until junior high, and by then I imagine she will have outgrown the desire to have anything monogrammed and will have learned to keep better track of her stuff.

AnnieW625
07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I voted it depends. I usually don't do it because I am cheap, and not because I am worried about security.

I did not monogram DD1's backpack, but did monogram DD2's backpack because I think it looks cute, and because there are a lot toddlers at DD2's daycare right now vs. when DD1 was there she was the only one there full time (a couple were part time, but the rest of the kids were 4 or 5). DD1's lunch bag is monogrammed. I will most likely continue that trend. If DD1 gets a wheeled backpack in the future I will most likely monogram that with out last name because it will also double as her suit case. When she outgrows it DD2 can use it as well.

I am thinking about monogramming DD1's school sweatshirt, and cardigan sweater as DD2will wear those as well and since everyone wears the same sweater or sweatshirt it might make some sense. I could only do last name.

codex57
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I did, but that's when they were far from needing them really. Now, I'd never do it, precisely for the donating/hand me down problem.

Canna
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes, but we tend to buy LL Bean backpacks which, around where we live (we're in New England, there's an LL Bean outlet not far away), are ubiquitous. The odds of someone else having the same pack in the same color is really high.

We've had small 3 letter monograms in the past and this year DD#1 got a new pack and chose just one single initial. Either way I feel it's not a big security concern. I'm also not worried about hand-me-downs for backpacks. DD1 used her first pack for three years and still uses it for camp in the summer (the smaller, lighter pack size is perfect for hiking) or travel.

elektra
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
I think it's cute too. Both kids have their names on the preschool backpacks. I didn't do DD's K backpack yet because I am still deciding on which one to use- also LLBean only offered 3 letters on the model we want. I am considering taking it to a place and having it done on my own.

janine
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I love monograms too but no on backpacks (so far) in case one inherits one from the other. My kids are small though, so if the backpack only lasts one year later on then yes I would.

MamaKath
07-20-2012, 12:36 AM
School backpacks have been handed down, so no on them unless we did last name (mine has last name, but it was a fluke of clearance at LLB). Each has a cinch sac with their initial for taking on trips, etc. that will not be handed down so that was fine. Part of it depends on the product- LLB no unless it is last name as those last FOREVER; 31 or LE sure as they wear through much faster (couple years).

94bruin
07-20-2012, 01:07 AM
I had DD1's current LE backpack monogrammed with her first & last initial, which are the same as DD2. Plus I added a bunny icon.

Whenever DD1 needs a bigger backpack, DD2 will get it. I can't imagine ever donating it as it will can be useful for more than just toting stuff to school.

citymama
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
I don't. I was close to doing so when posters here recommended against it for convenience (hand me downs) and safety (well, in my case I was thinking of having DD's first name on the pack).

crl
07-20-2012, 01:25 AM
I have done all four of ds' initials and then last year just his first. I thnk it's cute and like making it easy to be sure we have the right bag. I'm guessing that we won't again for him because he's probably getting too old to want it.

Catherine

essnce629
07-20-2012, 04:55 AM
I voted no. For safety reasons, to be able to hand stuff down, and because I'm too cheap to spend an extra $5 on anything!

WatchingThemGrow
07-20-2012, 06:16 AM
It depends. What we DID do was to order monogrammed fabric key fobs to hang off the backpack. The key fobs can be moved from one bag to the next as they grow. I did intend to monogram the LE backpack DD got, but we bought them on super sale and it wasn't worth it. What I DID do was to monogram the LUNCHBOX, because IME as a K teacher, the lunchbox is the thing that gets left behind and people have to hold it up saying, "Whose lunchbox is this?"

When we get LLB bags, we will monogram them because they are supposed to last forever and we have free monogramming as cardholders, plus there are always a bunch of people who have them. Most of my LLB/LE totes are monogrammed.

KpbS
07-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Single initial on our LL Bean bags.

BabyMine
07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't due to safety. I had experience when I was little that scared me from ever putting a first name anywhere.

acmom
07-20-2012, 09:13 AM
I do bc as a teacher in preK and K, I always really appreciated the names on backpacks and lunchboxes! I also have a girl and a boy, so most likely they won't want the same colors/styles. They are also close in age so if they use a backpack for more than a year (which I plan on), we will probably need 2 of the same size. We also have used the backpack for more that just school - trips, etc.

DD has her name on both backpack and lunchbox right now, but next time I may do first initial and an icon.

elbenn
07-20-2012, 09:23 AM
WTG, where did you get your monogrammed key fobs?

Kindra178
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
WTG, where did you get your monogrammed key fobs?

Mabel's Label's has a monogram dog tag on a little bead chain. I will hang that off the zippers from now on.

queenmama
07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
We did up until last year when he started middle school, but he missed having his name on so we might do his next one (we'll try to make it to h.s. with this). His last monogrammed bag had only our last name.

He was an only child so hand-me-downs weren't a factor, nor was security, since parents must pick up directly at the classroom through the 5th grade at his private school.

Oh, and it's always free as we have an LLB card.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

jennilynn
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Nope. I want to hand stuff down and hopefully sell it after both my boys used it.

MontrealMum
07-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I like the look but have decided not to do it on DS' kindy stuff due to safety issues. Though in the past I've had it done on towels and bags and the teachers have appreciated it. Currently DS has a Mabel's Labels dog tag with his name on his backpack. I think I'll probably move it over to his kindy bag this fall and then just do stickers on everything else.

almostamom
07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
DS wants his name on his backpack. The safety issue didn't concern me in our situation (I teach at his school, so he's in my classroom before and after school.) Handing them down isn't an issue for us as he's an only child. The one backpack we didn't have personalized is in no shape to be handed down after he used it. Apparently, my kid is hard on backpacks.

SnuggleBuggles
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Heck no. I want them to have multiple uses and owners.

jk3
07-20-2012, 06:28 PM
We monagram with initials. My oldest has used the same LE backpack for 4 years so no passing down.

elliput
07-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I haven't because I don't want to pay for it. DD's backpacks must be pink (it's a perseverance thing) so there is no possibility of handing down to DS. I do, however, write their names on the inside name tags which can be easily marked out with a sharpie if the bag gets passed along to someone else.

ha98ed14
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Nope. I want to hand stuff down and hopefully sell it after both my boys used it.

This is an honest question, not trying to be snarky or rude: Do you think you are going to be able to sell a used backpack after it's been through 2 children? Where do you shop? I would really be impressed if the backpack lasted long enough for DS2 to use it?

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2012, 11:13 PM
This is an honest question, not trying to be snarky or rude: Do you think you are going to be able to sell a used backpack after it's been through 2 children? Where do you shop? I would really be impressed if the backpack lasted long enough for DS2 to use it?

Ds2 has used ds1's old LL Bean backpack. Ds1 used it for 4 years and it is in perfect condition.

khm
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
My son has a LE backpack, it's been used for 3 years and is perfect. My daughter has a LLB messenger, used for 2 years, also perfect.

I doubt I'd sell them because I'm not really a seller of stuff, but I'd donate them for sure!

I don't do monograms, just not my thing.

dogmom
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, I put their first names on them, and my kids are the only one's in the classes with their names. It helps to have opposite sex kids, so my DD always wants some girly colored BP. Besides, we just wear them out, not hand them down. Our backpacks and lunchboxes get dirty and just can get completely clean after a few years of sitting on bus floors, outside, dragged on the ground, etc. My son is going into 4th grade and only on his second one, which I think will last him through middle school. My DD has one which I expect will last for a few more years, then I will get one bigger for her. I never got them the really small ones for preschool.

bisous
07-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I don't really like the look (sorry!) plus I'm worried about the safety issue. My kids wear things out fast enough that the passing things down issue isn't even a consideration!

peanut520
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I do initals on dd stuff now and see it continuing. i really am not concerned with donations as it will most likely be used until it falls apart or repurposed.