PDA

View Full Version : Is the Katy Perry movie appropriate for an 8 year old?

athompson
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
My eight year old daughter would really like to see the Katy Perry movie and I'm on the fence. If you've seen it, did you find it appropriate for an eight year old? TIA!
She received "dinner and a movie" money from her Grandparents for her birthday and wants this to be the movie:)

katydid1971
07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I haven't seen it but I usually go to Common Sense Media when I'm not sure. Here is their review.
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/katy-perry-part-of-me

StantonHyde
07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
My 7 yo wants to see it. I think based on the Common Sense review, I will let her. A lot of stuff goes over her head because all she cares about is the music. It should provide some good conversation material. On the other hand, if I can get her to forget about it and I don't have to sit through a movie that has been panned, I will be happy!!

MMMommy
07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I remember seeing a preview or a commercial for the Katy Perry movie, and one of the taglines was something along the lines of "great for the whole family." So I assume it is more tame and not explicit.

AnnieW625
07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I want to see this. I saw the E! True Hollywood Story about Katy and I really enjoyed it. The preview I saw for the movie looks like an extension of that. I know if I let DD1 know it was out she would want to see it. She loves Katy. I have a select # of songs she can listen to though and we have not broached the "I Kissed A Girl" song yet so that which I am sure will come up in the movie might be my only hesitation even with an 8 yr. old.

However I will say that when I was that age or even a bit younger my friends and I thought it was hilarious that Boy George dressed like a girl so while it is not the same thing we still didn't really understand homosexuality and how it was portrayed in the media and thought of as in society.

EllasMum
07-19-2012, 03:09 PM
My DD (almost 7) saw this last weekend with a friend (also 7) for the friend's birthday. They went with the friend's grandparents - and they ALL enjoyed the movie! DD said she liked the music - I think pretty much everything else just went over her head but she did enjoy the music and was still talking about the movie a few days later.

ast96
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I saw it and loved it and I would totally take an 8 year old. Nothing bad in it at all!

Gracemom
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM
I just took my 9 year old and we both loved it! It does have a couple mature themes, like her first hit being "I kissed a girl." It also references her divorce. So if your DD already knows about those 2 themes it would be fine. My DD is sensitive, and she was worried about Katy during a scene where she cried. It sparked some good conversation about being sad. We also talked about what it would be like to be famous. It was fun to hear what my DD thought about the pros and cons.

athompson
07-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone!