PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a therapist

elliput
07-19-2012, 03:19 PM
On Monday, I received a call from our therapy center that DD's SLP, GiGi, passed away that morning. She had been on medical leave since February for treatment of colon cancer. The center is hosting the memorial service tomorrow afternoon, and I have been asked to say a few words as the parent of one of her clients.

I am struggling on how to adequately praise the woman who coaxed DD's voice out of her. I can't remember how much I shared about DD's speech delay, but at age 4 she spoke only 2 to 3 word phrases or rote phrases which she picked up from movies. She would not even tell you her name when asked. She didn't comment on anything or ask questions.

Today, she speech is a bit stilted and she sometime has a bit of a stutter at the end of her words, but she talks! She tells stories, comments on what is going on around her, argues with her brother, rails about the injustices that we reign down upon her, and is able to carry on a short conversation. It is hard to believe how far she has come in the 2.5 yrs she had speech therapy. Amazing, when it comes right down to it.

To have the opportunity to tell the world how much DD's SLP has meant to us is overwhelming, I just wish I was going to be saying these words at GiGi's retirement party instead.

missym
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
GiGi sounds like an amazing person and a gifted therapist. Thank you for telling us about her. I'm thrilled to read about your DD's progress. I'm sorry for your family's loss. :hug:

larig
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
So many hugs, I think what you said about her here is just beautiful. So sad when the world loses someone with such a gift. And what a gift she gave you and your family. I'm so sorry. Peace to Gigi and those who loved her and benefitted from her help.

niccig
07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
So many hugs, I think what you said about her here is just beautiful. So sad when the world loses someone with such a gift. And what a gift she gave you and your family. I'm so sorry. Peace to Gigi and those who loved her and benefitted from her help.

:yeahthat: I think what you should said what you just wrote.

JTsMom
07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Erica. :grouphug: Gigi sounds amazing. I agree that what you said here was very touching, and I would say something along those lines.

elliput
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Thank you everyone. I did take what I had written here and expanded on it. The venue for GiGi's memorial was packed- there was even an overflow room which I understand was very full. I had a few moments of trying to collect myself at the start, but was able to get through fine.

larig
07-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you everyone. I did take what I had written here and expanded on it. The venue for GiGi's memorial was packed- there was even an overflow room which I understand was very full. I had a few moments of trying to collect myself at the start, but was able to get through fine.
:grouphug: I'm sure you spoke for many families today.