PDA

View Full Version : Frog vs Cam? (or something else?)

winklet
07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all,
I just found out we're expecting our second. My DD will be 3 years old when the baby comes. Thanks in large part to recommendations from this forum, we currently have a BOB revo and a Mac starck. This has been SUCH a great combo for us! Thanks all!
We live in Vancouver so lots of beach walks, trails, and we usually walk to do groceries, etc.
I've been reading the forum about bassinette options and I'm leaning towards getting a nice second-hand bugaboo.
I've started prowling CL already and wondering if anyone could comment on the merits of Cam vs Frog? It looks like I could get a great condition Frog for $200-250, whereas Cam would be closer to $400.
I'm also considering a Vista, but worried it might not survive some of our "heartier" walks, off pavement? WWYD? Do the 2012 models go on sale soon?
Another question is whether you think I should be getting a toddler ride-on board attachment (not sure what they're called!)? Does anyone have experience with a 3 year age gap between kids? Any recommendations would be most welcome!
TIA

edurnemk
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Congrats on your new baby!

The differences between Frog and Cam that I remember are:
The Frog seat is slightly shorter
The Frog has air tires. The more recent Cams have forever air tires (foam filled)
The Cam handle is adjustable.
You can buy separate fabric sets for the Cam.

The current Cam is on sale in many places since there's a new model coming out in the fall.

I have a Vista with toddler board, my DS is 4. We haven't used it much since DD is only 12 days old, but DS loves it.

winklet
07-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the response, congrats on your new DD!
I'll check and see if I can find some Cam sales...

LivsMum
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't discard the Frog idea just yet. I bought a gently used Frog last year, $225. I cleaned it up and it was great. Something that wears very easily are the front wheels. I replaced them straight away, about $60.

I resold it about 8 months later for $280, not quite sure why......LOL.

I do know it wouldn't last an average sized child very long.

winklet
07-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for replies so far!
I've been flipping through CL for bugs. Not sure the adjustable handle difference would justify price jump from Frog to Cam. Do others prefer the air tires on Frog over foam Cam tires? I guess I'm assuming that air tires would be a more AT-type feature?

edurnemk
07-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes the air tires will do a bit better on rough terrain, although both have great steering and suspension. I think the 2008 and previous Cams have air tires, IIRC they changed them in 2009. Oh and I just remembered another difference: the suspension on the Cam is adjustable, not that I know of anyone who actually adjusts theirs.

Also consider how long you plan on using it, as the Cam can acommodate larger/older children because of the bigger seat.

purpelina
07-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I think a nice used frog is a great idea. Both frog and cam will accommodate a child until 1 y.o. for sure (even a huge one), and at that age you most likely will switch to bob anyway.
Of course it all depends. I used a reversible stroller until my youngest dd was 2, but my oldest wanted to face out at 6 months.
I'd say comb through cl twice a day, for a great deal on a frog.