PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Cheap used book source

Melaine
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh how I miss the fantastic free shipping sale on used books from Borders awhile ago!

I'm looking for specific titles for the Five In A Row curriculum and I'm seeing it will add up fast. Are there any other places to search that will still be cheap after shipping? It's 25 books.

katydid1971
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
The St. Vincent's in our town has a HUGE used book store and they charge like $.25 a book. Have you looked at someplace like that? Also have you checked the library, you might be able to get a lot of the titles for free.

Melaine
07-20-2012, 08:10 AM
I haven't seen a bookstore like that but I will try to find out.

Melaine
07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I will definitely be looking at the library but I heard that so many of us in the program will want them that they will be hard to get.

DietCokeLover
07-20-2012, 08:50 AM
You can request them through interlibrary loan if your library doesn't have them.

And, have you tried the used bookstores in your town? There's one in the same shopping center where the Dunkin Donuts is (trying to be less descriptive to keep your location private).

hellokitty
07-20-2012, 10:13 AM
I briefly used BFAIR when we did homeschool preschool and bought a bundle of books on ebay. So, maybe check ebay, this way you are not tracking down books one at a time, which is a PITA.

Basically, for me library used book sales and thrift sales and garage sales are the cheapest way to aquire books, BUT I look at that list for FAIR and it looks like some of those titles are pretty obscure. I'm wondering if you post at some of the online homeschooling forums, if someone will have a bundle of the books used, to just sell. I tried to buy the individual books for BFAIR, but some of the titles were so difficult to find, the ebay bundle was easier. Also, you can check out alibris.com, but it might end up adding up if you have to pay individual shipping per book.

firstbaby
07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
When I bought our FIAR titles, I combed through ebay, amazon and half.com. A lot of times, amazon was the cheapest for the still in print titles. If I was doing it all over again and felt strongly about buying the books, I would probably just buy the bundle from Rainbow Resources. They are having free shipping w/ $50 purchase through August or September and then you would have them all if that was important to you. If I was doing it all over again myself, I would probably do the library exclusively. Yes, the books are beautiful and my kids loved them, but we've always got our book baskets full with new books to love from the library, etc, kwim?

Melaine
07-20-2012, 02:06 PM
You can request them through interlibrary loan if your library doesn't have them.

And, have you tried the used bookstores in your town? There's one in the same shopping center where the Dunkin Donuts is (trying to be less descriptive to keep your location private).

Oh, I haven't checked there! I know where you mean. Thanks!

kaharris83
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I use BigWords.com when I'm trying to locate used books. It will search online sources and find you the cheapest available. They won't be cheaper than the library though probably.

Simon
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I would try "rowing" a few of the more popular titles or ones you own first. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but we were all excited about FIAR and it went over like a lead balloon here. So, in the end, I was glad I hadn't put too much energy into finding all the books.

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to add my helpful suggestions. First, I just discovered that our Salvation Army thrift stores has all books 5/$1.00 on Tuesday and Thursday! That's hard to beat around here though it does require more work on your part.

Also, for locating specific titles, we've had very good luck trading in books we're done with for credit at a local bookstore and then using that credit plus their standard discount to have them order books we need.

misshollygolightly
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Have you tried http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ ? They're my go-to used book source--and all proceeds go to literacy charities!

JTsMom
07-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Are you doing it as part of your co-op group? I could see where you would need to buy if that's the case. Depending on which ones you need, you might have a hard time finding them at all, let alone at a bargain price. A few of the out of print ones go for insane prices on ebay.