PDA

View Full Version : Job or daycare, what first? More info in #10

trcy
07-19-2012, 09:31 PM
In a few months we will be moving out of state. I currently work three days a week and would like to continue once we move. Obviously, the days I work determine what days I need daycare and the days daycare has openings are the days I can work. So, once we move what should I look for first...job or daycare? What is the best way to handle this, especially when interviewing? Opinions and thoughts please, TIA!!!

cvanbrunt
07-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Job. If you can't work what they need you won't get the job. Daycare will work out.

ha98ed14
07-19-2012, 11:47 PM
I agree. I would look for a job and just find a babysitter or drop in day care center to use when you need to job hunt or go for an interview. I would however research day care options, go look at the centers or interview in home providers. Figure out what centers you would be comfortable using, and try to find a few so that if get an offer, you will have some options if one of them doesn't have an opening, you have back ups.

twowhat?
07-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Job, for sure. Then you find a daycare situation that fits your needs.

However - you may have to be willing to put deposits down on daycare centers that might fit the bill before you even have a job (I had to do that) - depends on how difficult it is to get into the "good" daycare centers where you are moving. And you definitely want to start researching options right away, as PP pointed out.

echoesofspring
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say if you are serious about working, then line up your daycare first. Everything I've read about job hunting says that the people who are successful at finding a job make 'find a job' their job, i.e. they are spending all of their time on the project, 40 hours a week (or in your case maybe 24). I'd try to find daycare that was open to being flexible in adjusting the days down the road if you need to. And unless you have friends/family you are going to be able to rely on for interviews, etc. having your daycare already established is going to make you a much more solid candidate when you get a call for an interview - being able to just say 'yes, I can come in then', vs. 'I'll need to make arrangements' just sends a subtle can do message, kwim?

Simon
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say if you are serious about working, then line up your daycare first.
:yeahthat: with the caveat that it depends on where you are moving.

Around here, it can take weeks to find a place for an 18mo and those would all be full-time spots. I am very picky about child care so it would be a nightmare for me to have a job lined-up but no place for Dc to go.

I have also had many experiences in my life of being offered a job on the spot or to start very soon. Not always, but enough times that I wouldn't want to say, I can't start for a few weeks while I find child care. Then again, if you are applying for a job with a long hiring process (weeks) then that may be okay.

kdeunc
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
I would look for daycare first. I know in our area there are very few places that offer part-time/drop-in care. Most are full week only. The part-time options often have long waiting lists. Good luck with the move and the search!

ha98ed14
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say if you are serious about working, then line up your daycare first. Everything I've read about job hunting says that the people who are successful at finding a job make 'find a job' their job, i.e. they are spending all of their time on the project, 40 hours a week (or in your case maybe 24). I'd try to find daycare that was open to being flexible in adjusting the days down the road if you need to. And unless you have friends/family you are going to be able to rely on for interviews, etc. having your daycare already established is going to make you a much more solid candidate when you get a call for an interview - being able to just say 'yes, I can come in then', vs. 'I'll need to make arrangements' just sends a subtle can do message, kwim?

I just want to point out that OP can still *say,* "I can come in then" and then find a sitter. Odds are if she uses SitterCity or care.com, she will find someone. Are you moving to a major metro area? If you were moving to a rural part of the country, I might agree.

If money is no object, and you want DC to get used to the new environment, then go ahead and find daycare first. I was coming at it from the perspective that you don't want to pay for daycare until you are actually working. Reality is though that you will probably be looking for both a job and day care options at the same time.

ha98ed14
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I would look for daycare first. I know in our area there are very few places that offer part-time/drop-in care. Most are full week only. The part-time options often have long waiting lists. Good luck with the move and the search!

That's a good point. However, what if she finds daycare for MWF but her work is TTS? She wouldn't know that until she gets the job.

OP, are you a nurse doing 2 or 3 12-hours shifts? Is your work in a field where people are most often PT? I can't think of a M-F, 9-5 office profession in which a person starts out PT. Usually PT is an arrangement made after the FT employee has worked there a while and decides she wants to cut back on her hours. Shift work in health care or retail is different though. If you care to share more about your hours/field, maybe it will give people some more ideas.

My heart goes out to you because I found myself in a similar situation. I needed care that was flexible such that I only paid for it when I needed it. I couldn't afford to pay for FT care when I was only working PT, but it was a very unpredictable schedule. I found it, but it took a while.

trcy
07-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you for all of the thoughts and input. To give you a bit more info, I am in a field that part-time is very doable. We are moving to be closer to family, friends and overall support system, so finding someone to watch DD for interviews will not be a problem. My question regarding interviewing had to do with how to explain my availability without bringing in family details as I know that personal/family details in an interview can be frowned upon. Sorry for the confusion.

twowhat?
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you for all of the thoughts and input. To give you a bit more info, I am in a field that part-time is very doable. We are moving to be closer to family, friends and overall support system, so finding someone to watch DD for interviews will not be a problem. My question regarding interviewing had to do with how to explain my availability without bringing in family details as I know that personal/family details in an interview can be frowned upon. Sorry for the confusion.

When this came up in my interview, I was very honest about it ("I like to have at least 2 weeks notice for any travel, as I have a young family.") I'm glad I was honest, because I wouldn't want to work for a company that didn't respect work/life balance - especially with kids. So...I vote for being honest, but keeping your wording professional should it come up. Find ways to say you are willing to do the work but appreciate advance notice/flexibility/telecommute/etc. Things like "I have no problem with putting in extra hours to meet deadlines if I have the ability to flex my time."