PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Job Question

BabyBearsMom
07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I have a great job right now. I work for a great not-for-profit and I really support their mission (I work in Finance so my job isn't mission specific but I like working for someone who I view as the "good guys"). I love where I work, I love my boss, what I do and the people with whom I work. They are really flexible and understanding with my schedule. However, the negative is that the commute is awful. In order to get to DD2 before daycare closes, I have to leave work at 4:30 and since I the daycare doesn't open until 7, the earliest I can get in is 8:15. While everyone is supportive and understanding of this schedule, I still have a certain amount of work that needs to get done and a limited amount of time during the day to do it. I can't work from home because my staff need a lot of hands on attention. This means that I am scrambling during the day to get things done and usually do an hour or so at home after the girls are in bed.

I got a call today from a recruiter. He is looking for someone at my level to work at another not-for-profit. The mission of the not-for-profit is something that doesn't really interest me (I'm not opposed to it, but it just isn't all that exciting to me). The commute would be 20 minutes less each way (my current commute is about 1hr 15) by car and I could take public transportation to it as well if I wanted to. They are also offering to let me work from home a few days a week and have flexible hours. They are offering me a 7% salary increase. The not-for-profit is slightly smaller than my current job and my staff would be smaller as well. The benefits are very good, slightly better than those at my current job.

Would you pursue the new job or stay with what you know?

mommylamb
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I think there is nothing wrong with interviewing to see how you feel about the people. I would definitely consider it.

egoldber
07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree it never hurts to interview.

I did essentially what you are considering a few months ago. I took a job at new place that was a little less interesting to me, mainly just for an improved commute.

I am still learning the new place and the work is slowly becoming more interesting. But I have to say, the difference in my attitude and my quality of life is amazing. At the old job I had to go in very early and leave early and at this job I can work normal hours and sleep an hour later in the morning. I feel like a different person. I also have more freedom to telework and I love that.

So I would totally do it. And especially as your kids get older and they have school events during and after school, I think you will really appreciate the proximity and having the flexibility to telework.

crl
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I would definitely interview and consider it.

Catherine

niccig
07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
I agree with the others. Interview and keep an open mind.

DH reluctantly went to an interview a head hunter set up. He was pleasantly surprised at what the company was doing and he accepted their offer of a step-up in responsibility. The commute can be longer, but he can go in later and misses the traffic, so it's about the same. He drops DS off at school, then has an hour at a local coffee shop to talk with other parents from DS's school or read. If I do drop off, he works out at home. He never had time before to exercise or take DS to school.

JustMe
07-20-2012, 02:34 PM
I agree that I would interview, ask a lot of questions about work environment/family friendliness, and see what you think. As a mom, I definitely make different decisions about work than I did before kids and a shorter commute/ability to work some at home are huge. However, there are a lot of negative work environments out there. I get really stressed out by that and so I would tread carefully since you have such a positive enviroment.

123LuckyMom
07-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I would interview, but I'd consider very carefully before leaving a job I enjoyed. The time you save in commuting won't be worth it if you dread going to work each day! Are there any other options like child care that's closer to your job?

Green22
07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Odd. I found myself in nearly the same situation (great company, hour commute) and also found out about a lateral move/job opportunity The new company is about 5 mins from my home and 15 from the DC's DC (basically eliminating my commute which is currently an hour), and the offer was about a 15% decrease in pay.

I went on the interview, liked the manager I would be working for, and I accepted. I didn't meet anyone else, but I am hoping it is as pleasant an environment as I am in now. (I am nervous to tell my current boss, he is so great to me. I am still in the pre-employment stage so it isn't final.) The idea of having an extra hour in the evening with my kids, along with a formal policy allowing me to telecommute when needed and to have flex-time (no need to take vaca for doc appts, etc) put me over the edge. My current boss permits flex time for me, but it is not company policy.

Not to mention that now I won't need to wake the kids up at 6 am to get them started on their day. I think having that extra time is going to be life changing. I feel a little concerned that I just picked the mommy route over the partner route, but I guess that is what is important to me now. More sleep for my kids and getting home at 5 pm, less frazzled and stressed.

You should go on the interview at least. Saving 20 minutes each way and more money seems like a no-brainer to me, so long as you think you will click with the person managing you. Good luck!