PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's tree branches in our property

mommy111
07-20-2012, 05:39 PM
The branches come right up against the kids' room windows. One I'm afraid that the tree will fall someday in a storm and damage our house. I know that is a little unreasonable to expect him to allow us to cut off his tree. However, I would really really want to cut off the branches that are growing up against the kids' windows to get more light in the window. Can I do that or would it be illegal?
FWIW, the neighbor is a crazy naturalist who doesn't want anything to be trimmed.

ellies mom
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Double check the laws in your area but in most places, branches that cross your property line are yours to cut. I would hire a professional to cut them back a ways. My goal would be to get the branches off my house and let light into the girl's room while maintaining some of the shade. The reason I would hire a professional is simply because they can make it look a little more natural than I can and I'm willing to bet that their trimming would be longer lasting than mine because they would know where to cut for maximum effectiveness.

It is more unreasonable for your neighbor to expect you to allow his tree to damage your house than it is for you to trim it back.

wildfire
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Around here you can trim branches that hang over your property, but if you damage the tree you are liable. So you can't hack off the whole side of the tree or anything like that.

vonfirmath
You need to talk to him about it anyway.

Find out what is legal in your neck of the wood when it comes to the part of his tree that is on your property after talking to him.

crl
In most places if it is over your property line, you have the right to cut the tree limb. If that damages the tree though, then you may be responsible for that damage (so if you hack away at a tree to the point that it kills the tree, you may have to pay for a new tree). If you are sure the neighbor won't cheerfully consent, after checking the law in your jurisdiction, I would probably just cut the branches back.

Catherine

BillK
07-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Talk to him - if he's unreasonable send him a registered letter - return receipt requested - outlining your concerns and save a copy and the return receipt. That way in the event his tree damages your property it's a liability claim on HIS insurance and not yours.

AngB
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
The branches come right up against the kids' room windows. One I'm afraid that the tree will fall someday in a storm and damage our house. I know that is a little unreasonable to expect him to allow us to cut off his tree. However, I would really really want to cut off the branches that are growing up against the kids' windows to get more light in the window. Can I do that or would it be illegal?
FWIW, the neighbor is a crazy naturalist who doesn't want anything to be trimmed.

We have a similar issue, thanks for posting this!

niccig
07-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Talk to him - if he's unreasonable send him a registered letter - return receipt requested - outlining your concerns and save a copy and the return receipt. That way in the event his tree damages your property it's a liability claim on HIS insurance and not yours.

:yeahthat: A tree branch from our tree fell in freak windstorm and smashed our neighbours pick-up truck. If he had complained about the tree and we did nothing, we would have been in more of a mess.

But you can cut back to the property line.