PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Did you go to sleepaway camp? where?

nfowife
07-21-2012, 01:27 AM
From recent posts, I've been thinking about my own beloved sleepaway camp experiences. Did you attend one? Which one and where/when?

I attended Camp Ballibay (performing arts camp) in NE Pennsylvania in summers of 89, 90, and 91. (summers after 6, 7, and 8 grades)
I was a counselor at Blue Star Camp (Jewish camp) in Hendersonville, NC in summer of 97.

Funny thing is, I grew up in South Florida and at Ballibay I was the only one from Florida- it was a very small and regional (mostly CT/NY kids) camp. I ended up being college roomies with a girl who attended the same camp during a different session the same year! The world is really small :)

I had wonderful experiences at sleepaway camp and I cannot wait for my kids to be old enough to go.

How about you?

elektra
07-21-2012, 01:49 AM
I went to this camp when I was 12: http://goldarrowcamp.com/

I only did it for one year but I vividly remember it! It was exactly how I pictured it with the water activities, and camp outs.

It was one of the first years they did the two-week sessions. Prior to that I think kids came for at least a month, and even left the cabins for a few days to do multi-day backpacking trips at some point in the regular session.
It looks like the 2-week sessions are the most popular now.

I remember we had to bring footlockers for our stuff instead of suitcases.
It was the first (and only!) time I have ever fired a gun.
It all felt so authentic just like the movies. :)

I found out about it through a friend (we went together) who had a celebrity grandfather and her parents had gone as kids. I think I expected it to be fancy or something. LOL! I do think it was expensive but I think you were just paying for the authentic camp experience.

ellies mom
07-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I went to and was a camp counselor at Coutts-Moriarty 4-H Camp (http://www.couttscamp.org/Site/Home.html) (although it isn't a 4-H camp anymore) in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. I'm half-tempted to plan an extended trip back some summer just to send the girls for a week. I loved it as a kid and I'd love to share that with them.

cuca_
07-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I went to Camp Kehonka in Wolfboro, NH. It was beautiful. It closed a few years after I attended. I believe the owner died and they sold the land for private development.

I was initially very homesick, but ended up really enjoying the experience.

AngB
07-21-2012, 07:57 AM
The school districts in our area did a "5th grade camp" for many many many years. (They actually still do it, but there is some issues with a former teacher turning out to be a pedophile so I would be shocked if the school still does the camp anymore after this year. His crimes were unrelated to teaching/school, except after they did some investigating and figured out he had video taped boys at camp changing/showering without their knowledge:mad: ) The kids go away for a week in the late summer/early fall, like late August. They have high school students that volunteer as counselors (they get excused from school) and a teacher for each cabin (2 to 3 high school counselors and a teacher for each cabin). No swimming, but lots of fun activities (I still remember many of them, the big highlight is crawling through a mudcave) and it's overnight for a week. It is hugely popular, the school district actually tried to get rid of it/stop doing it a fw years ago due to insurance increases for the liability, etc., but they had too many parents outraged and backed down. I strongly suspect that in light of the issues with the teacher, this will probably be the last year they do camp, if they even end up doing it when school starts early this year.

ilfaith
07-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I went to Camp Ralph S. Mason (a YMCA camp in New Jersey near the Delaware Water Gap) in the early 80s. I also did a couple of weeks at the Spring Valley Equestrian Center (also in NJ) one summer.

I am thinking of sending DS1 to overnight camp for a few weeks next summer, before he enters 4th grade. Nine seems like a good age to go away for the first time. My dad started sleep-away camp when he was five (my grandparents had a summer business...a bar and grill on the boardwalk in Rockaway Beach) but he did have his 10-year-old brother there as well.

scrooks
07-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I went to girl scout resident camp. I usually went for a one week session during the summer (our troop camped there on weekends throughout the school year). I loved my camp... Camp Crowell-Hilaka and I am super sad our girl scout council is currently trying to sell it :crying: I had really hoped DD would be able to camp there and make her own wonderful memories!

crl
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I also went to a school sponsored week long camp. I was attending a Colorado Springs grade school then. I LOVED it. My parents were not the kind to send us to camp so I didn't get to go again. Dh did not go to one. I don't know if we will try to send our kids or not, haven't given it a lot of thought. Ds is pretty anxious so I'm not sure if it would fly with him. But maybe.

Catherine

mominma
07-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I went to an all girls camp in MA for 8 weeks every Summer (6 years). I always knew I wanted my kids to have the same experience, but due to the high costs of overnight camp now, if will be tough to swing. I am starting to look into camps for DD1 for next Summer when she will be 10.

My DS1 will be leaving tomorrow morning for 4 weeks in Maine. This is his 3rd Summer and loves the experience.

belovedgandp
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Not as long or frequent as some of these, but I did Girl Scout residence came for 7-10 days for four summers of late elementary into middle school.

High school age did lots of different ones related to school activities.

JElaineB
07-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Yes, I went to sleepaway camps twice for 4 weeks each. The first was between 5th and 6th grades (I think), it was a fat camp located in Brewster, MA. It was a great location (they had a pool and the ocean was nearby). I think it cost a lot becuase I remember my mother was disappointed (though she didn't say so directly) that I only lost 10 lbs. in 4 weeks. I made one really good friend there who I continued to be in contact with for several years. The other was Camp Mishannock, now Camp Morning Star - a day camp, in Kingston, MA that I went to between 8th and 9th grade. I knew a number of girls there from school and it was a lot fun. There was private lake and all the usual camp activities. Both of my sisters went to that one during the same year, one for 2-3 weeks (I think) and my youngest sister went only for a week.

mom3boys
07-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes, Camp Coniston, Croydon, NH. It is still in operation.

I went from the age of 8 to the age of 12, for one 2 week session. 8 was too young, IMO, for 2 week sleep away camp (no contact with parents other than letters), but it helped that first my brother, and then my sister (when she was old enough) went to the same camp. I liked it better when I was a little older.

I actually lived close by to the camp and I think this made the homesickness worse in some ways. We went on a field trip and the bus, at one point, was less than 10 miles from my house. I kept thinking, what if I just got off this bus and walked home?

My brother later attended camp Tohkomeupog in Meriden, NH, an all boys camp. I think the session was 3 weeks. Also still in operation.

I fully intend to send my boys to 1 of these 2 camps--probably wait until DS1 and DS2 are both of age so they can be there together.

Katigre
07-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I attended a Christian camp for 5 years as a child (one week each summer) and have awesome memories of it. Nice counselors, fun activities, a giant waterslide at the lake, good worship/singing time, funny leaders who kept it exciting, etc... I usually went with a friend so I knew someone in my cabin.

KpbS
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I went to a Christian girls camp for a month each summer for 4 years. It was such a wonderful experience and I loved everything about it--except the ending! We had swimming, tennis, soccer, basketball, archery, horseback riding, crafts, nature, choir, ropes course, stichery, etc. "I want to be there every summer, June and July! I promise that I'll stay up there I'll never say goodbye!"

buddyleebaby
07-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, I went to girl scout camp at Camp Kaufmann (NY).

LMPC
07-21-2012, 04:29 PM
I went to Camp Chandler in AL when I was 11 and 12 -- I loved sleep away camp! So much fun!

LD92599
07-21-2012, 04:44 PM
I worked at a day camp in Rockland County, NY for 1 summer and drove one of their buses too!

I did go to GS camp several times - Camp Glen Spey (sp?)

KKsMom
07-21-2012, 05:49 PM
One summer I was a camp counselor when I was in college. I worked at a girls scouts it seemed like a great experience for the girls. I know I would have loved to have gone there as a kid. After working at the camp I decided I would become a teacher. When my daughter is older I will consider sending her to the nearby girl scouts camp. :)

123LuckyMom
07-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I went to 8 week sleep away camps every summer-- Waziyata, Hiawatha, and then Belvoir Terrace for performing arts. In the area where I live now it's uncommon for kids to go to camp for the full summer. They go for a week or two and seem very happy with their experience. I think financially that would be a much better bet for us, too. I have some years before I have to think about it, though.

hellokitty
07-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I went to an ethnic camp in the midwest. It was at a college camp and not the typical outdoorsy type of camp that you would think of for a summer camp. I loved it. I went all through high school and college and will be sending my boys to the younger kids program for the first time next wk. I'm super nervous though, since they are younger and this is going to be their first time EVER away from us. It is a wk long and the campus has changed to a different state, so that is new too. Hoping my kids love it. I'm looking forward to catching up my friends who are now moms and dad too, sending our kids!

Tondi G
07-21-2012, 07:51 PM
went to this camp ... all girls run by the city of Los Angeles. I LOVED it .. went several summers in a row. http://www.laparks.org/dos/camps/hollywoodland.htm

I also went to CIMI on Catalina Island when I was in 7th grade .... it was our outdoor education trip! It was pretty awesome ... snorkeling etc. http://www.cimi.org/cimi.html

MontrealMum
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
I went here: Camp Anna Behrens (http://www.gsmists.org/Camp-Facilities/anna-behrens) for my first camp experience. My mom, also a girl scout, had gone when it was on Lake Michigan which is why she thought I'd enjoy it. It was horrific. It took a lot to convince me to try another camp. The following years I went here: Camp Henry (http://www.camphenry.org/). It was MUCH better! I almost became a counselor when I was in college but I did overseas study instead.

Philly Mom
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
I spent 7 summers at an 8 week summer camp in Maine. I also worked there for 6 years. Best experience and love my friendships.