PDA

View Full Version : best websites for jobs?

hillview
07-21-2012, 07:52 AM
What are the best websites for job listings (public sector, director level and above)?

monster.com
careerbuiler.com

what else?

Also has anyone used a professional resume service? Was it worthwhile? Any suggestions?

cvanbrunt
07-21-2012, 07:58 AM
What about a recruiter? It seems everyone in my husband's industry moves up and on with a recruiter. Otherwise, I have no idea. I'm sorry things have gone downhill so quickly for you at work. It sucks.

Minnifer
07-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Indeed.com is great - it collects postings from a wide variety of other boards. Sorry you're in this position :hug:

Kindra178
07-21-2012, 08:09 AM
glassdoor.com

Are there industry specific ones in your field?

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Networking on LinkedIn seems popular.

scrooks
07-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I think LinkedIn is really gaining in popularity too! I work right next to one of the hr people in charge of filling positions at our company ( she is one of many in our huge 50,000+ employee company) and she seems to use LinkedIn a lot to fill positions.

I also agree with getting a recruiter. Dh's got his last job through a recruiter.

jenfromnj
07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
For higher level jobs, theladders.com can sometimes be good.

I second the rec for indeed.com--it aggregates the listings from a bunch of different sources, so it's pretty efficient to search there.

mrshalco
07-21-2012, 09:44 PM
I really liked www.flexjobs.com when I was looking to add some hours to my current job. The idea is that it posts jobs that are FT/PT/Seasonal/Contract/Telecommuting/Odd hours/etc. It was created by a mom who wanted a way to search jobs that would fit in with her schedule more. I did the one month trial and then I paid for a membership for a couple months. I ended up getting a great job through them......less hours, more money, and better benefits that I was getting....and I work from home!!

I would say try them out for the free trial at least and see if you like it!

PunkyBoo
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
For public sector i recommend https://www.governmentjobs.com/index.cfm You have to set up an account to use them but it is free. i found my job there. Most of the agencies in my area use their service so it was easy to look in just the one place, and to have a basic application already saved so i didn't have to retype everything each time I applied for something.

Sweetum
07-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I'd say recruiters for director level and above, and also LinkedIn or just your own network. The thing to remember with recruiters, I believe, is that they are acting in the interest of the company that will pay them. So, you need to be cognizant of that while talking to them and discussing lbs and career.

trcy
07-22-2012, 06:45 AM
For higher level jobs, theladders.com can sometimes be good.

I second the rec for indeed.com--it aggregates the listings from a bunch of different sources, so it's pretty efficient to search there.
:yeahthat: Good Luck