PDA

View Full Version : Google voice

crl
07-21-2012, 05:52 PM
I just set up a google voice number so that I can have a local number that forwards to my cell. Tell me what other cool things you use your google voice account for.

Thanks!
Catherine

crl
07-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Anyone?

Thanks!
Catherine

infomama
07-22-2012, 08:51 AM
when I get a call from google voice it rings on all of my phones. My cell phone and my home phone. also when somebody leaves me a voicemail on google voice it sends me a text message with a transcription of the voicemail. I really like google voice.

crl
07-22-2012, 08:57 AM
when I get a call from google voice it rings on all of my phones. My cell phone and my home phone. also when somebody leaves me a voicemail on google voice it sends me a text message with a transcription of the voicemail. I really like google voice.

Thank you! Where dos the voicemail go, is it in your cell phone voicemail box or do you have to go through google voice to get it? I have an iPhone 4s if that matters.

Catherine

infomama
07-22-2012, 09:00 AM
I get the text message for voicemail on my cell phone but I think you can set it up to even email you if you have a voicemail. If I want to hear the voicemail I have to call my google voice number to retrieve it. you can do that from your cellphone or landline.

BillK
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Free texting. That's what my wife and I use it for primarily.

crl
07-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks! I forgot this should solve my texting issue with no cell phone reception in my house too. :D

I think I have it set up to email me the transcript of voicemails. Not sure. Will have to test it out today. . . .

Catherine

twowhat?
07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
DH uses it for free texting, and actually uses it as his work number (rings to his cell) so that he doesn't have to give out a personal phone number for work. The transcription of voicemail is also very cool -doesn't work perfectly but gets enough of the message so that you can usually figure it out without having to listen to it.

I haven't used it for work yet...doesn't it only work over 3G/4G? So you potentially wouldn't be able to get calls if you're not getting a good 3G or 4G signal? That's what I'm hesitant about...