PDA

View Full Version : need baby gift ideas

ncat
07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
A good friend from college and her husband just adopted a baby girl! I am absolutely thrilled for them and want to get the baby something special, but obviously did not get a chance to prepare in advance. We don't live near by and see them generally once every year or two. They don't really need anything, as they have an extensive number of hand-me-downs from many nieces and nephews who live near them.

Any ideas for something particularly special? While I got many thoughtful gifts from friends and family when DD and DS were born, I can't think of any that were a great keepsake.

How much time do I have before it becomes too late for a baby gift?

acmom
07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
We got monogrammed silver baby cups for both DD and DS from one of our family members. Not a keepsake, but a long lasting gift we got for both kids was a Lands End tote monogrammed with their names.

Or what about giving them a gift certificate for photographer near them that could do family photos?

Still-in-Shock
07-22-2012, 10:53 PM
You might want to see if you can get a picture frame with the baby's name and birthday engraved.

ncat
07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I like the idea of a tote bag - we got DD a monogrammed one from LE when she was 2 that she still uses.

A cup would be nice - especially if it is a type she could use now (well soonish, as a first cup) and keep.

boilermakermom
07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
If she is adopted, what about a baby book for adopted children? i got one for my cousin when she adopted their first child. she loved it! it had a place for her birth mom and dad, story of her adoption, the day they brought her home, etc. i googled around until i found one i liked.

lalasmama
07-23-2012, 12:37 AM
If she is adopted, what about a baby book for adopted children? i got one for my cousin when she adopted their first child. she loved it! it had a place for her birth mom and dad, story of her adoption, the day they brought her home, etc. i googled around until i found one i liked.

:yeahthat:

DD's baby book is called "This is Me". It has pages for just about every adoption situation possible--from long term foster care to adopted at birth, etc. It's about $35. It can also be changed with additional packets--they have military family ones, ones for kids with multiple foster care placements, over seas adoption pages....

kmkaull
07-23-2012, 07:43 AM
We adopted our son, and honestly, any baby gift was appreciated. It is nice to feel like a normal couple who receives baby gifts. If she registered, you could shop from that.

I also really liked monogrammed gifts. It was fun to receive things with his new and official initials. This would especially be nice if the adoption is final.

specialp
07-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I would get a regular baby item and then a custom wooden baby block. http://www.craftefamily.com/personalized_blocks.asp

They have an adoption option if you know all the info, but a regular baby block is cute, too. Someone gave me one and I have since given them.