PDA

View Full Version : Brave bow and arrows from Disney store

maestramommy
07-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Just wonder if they actually work. I'm on the waiting list for one. Dora is really interested in archery (for some reason), and Dh is showing her some slingshot move with an exercise band:rotflmao:. He says she's getting pretty good at it. I was a little wowed to find out the Disney store carries girl weaponry, but thought it would be cool to get this for her bday. But they are only $20 so don't know if they are cheesy or really shoot at least moderately well.

chlobo
07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Can't speak for those but we just bought both kids an inexpensive archery set from Dick's Sporting goods ($30-$35). They have blunt tip arrows and work just fine.

Here are the ones we bought. The ones with the many strings are supposed to be easier to use than the ones with the single string. Something to do with aiming & pulling the string back. Also, you want to be sure to buy one that is rated for your kid's size otherwise the string might be too hard to pull:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3548146&lmdn=Category&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3548151&lmdn=Category&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427

For a target, we set up a hay bale.

hellokitty
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I would just buy her a real bow and arrow. My boys love it (just had archery day for kids yesterday in our area) and it IS a sport, and I would guess that the real thing will be much better than the over-priced disney version. It's funny, my book club friends and I were talking about how Hunger Games (and now Brave) will probably bring back archery, esp for girls as a sport.

infomama
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.3riversarchery.com/bowKitsForKids.asp

I would skip the toy set as well. Cool that she is interested in archery!

maestramommy
07-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Great thanks! Infomama, I see that your set is also only $20. So between $20-$35 is a good range. Thanks again!

KrisM
07-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Can't speak for those but we just bought both kids an inexpensive archery set from Dick's Sporting goods ($30-$35). They have blunt tip arrows and work just fine.

Here are the ones we bought. The ones with the many strings are supposed to be easier to use than the ones with the single string. Something to do with aiming & pulling the string back. Also, you want to be sure to buy one that is rated for your kid's size otherwise the string might be too hard to pull:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3548146&lmdn=Category&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3548151&lmdn=Category&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427

For a target, we set up a hay bale.

The first one is a longbow. The second is a compound bow. The longbow just has 1 string and you pull it back. It will cover a range of draw lengths (how far it's pulled back). Whatever the given pull weight is, is what you hold when it's pulled back.

The compound bow has cams at the top and bottom that allow you to pull a higher weight than you hold. The weight will drop off considerably, making it easier to shoot a more powerful arrow. These are adjusted to a certain draw length, so they are user specific.

I'd go with a compound if you can, but the other is fine. I started on a kid's longbow when I was 9 and got my first compound at maybe 12 years old. I shot in leagues for years and was pretty good.

Target arrows are blunt. Hunting arrows are not.

If you have a Bass Pro by you, they might have an indoor range. We use ours at times and it's fun. I'd like to get my kids shooting soon, too. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Make sure you get an arm guard so the string doesn't hit her elbow or forearm. And gloves to protect her fingers from the string.

maestramommy
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
The first one is a longbow. The second is a compound bow. The longbow just has 1 string and you pull it back. It will cover a range of draw lengths (how far it's pulled back). Whatever the given pull weight is, is what you hold when it's pulled back.

The compound bow has cams at the top and bottom that allow you to pull a higher weight than you hold. The weight will drop off considerably, making it easier to shoot a more powerful arrow. These are adjusted to a certain draw length, so they are user specific.

I'd go with a compound if you can, but the other is fine. I started on a kid's longbow when I was 9 and got my first compound at maybe 12 years old. I shot in leagues for years and was pretty good.

Hmm, it would seem like the compound bow is more elaborate, but it's actually cheaper. Why is that?

chlobo
07-23-2012, 09:52 AM
The compound bow is probably cheaper because its for a younger age range (4-7) whereas the longbow is for 9+. Or it might have to do with the accessories that are included.

I think that Dick's said they had an indoor range you could try out if you wanted too.

Also a note, at least here in Mass, many places don't let kids shoot until they are 9. Something about insurance. Ditto with camps. We were going to try to sign DD up for archery lessons this summer and they said she needed to be 9.

KrisM that is so cool that you did it as a sport. I think it looks really neat. I'd love to try it myself.

maestramommy
07-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks Chlobo, that is good to know. We'll probably go with something inexpensive, just for fun, and see where it gets her. She's not even 7.

rlu
07-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Make sure you get an arm guard so the string doesn't hit her elbow or forearm. And gloves to protect her fingers from the string.

Cub scouts (6yo - 11yo) use compound bows. Not sure if the older kids use the longbow. I know making one is an elective at some point. DS loves it. It's a very popular offering at camp/Scoutarama. I took archery in 8th grade PE and loved it as well, but they didn't offer it at HS so I didn't continue.

I agree Hunger Games and Brave could make archery more popular.

lcarlson90
07-23-2012, 12:03 PM
DS (7) just bought that toy yesterday at the Disney store with his own money. He played with it all afternoon and really enjoyed it. The arrows have suction cups at the end so they stick to stuff so you can use it inside if you want.

When we were walking around the mall with it another family stopped us and told me that their daughter had that toy and also loved it. I asked if it was holding up well and they said yes.

codex57
07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
There's at least 3 versions of the Disney Brave one.

1 is musical (or makes some kind of noise) and is a purple colored bow (haven't played with it)

1 is gold colored, with gold glitter all over it. We got this one, but I don't play with it much cuz I'm afraid of getting the glitter everywhere. I thought I was buying...

1 that is light tan colored. Very basic, and works to a maximum of about 15-20 feet or so, but is fun for little kids. Should also come with a quiver for the arrows.

KathyN115
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
DD (newly 6) has the Brave one from Target - it has a single string, and the three arrows have suction cup ends and no glitter. It has actually been a big hit! She did not see the movie, but saw the toy advertised in the Target toy circular and asked for it for her birthday. It seems to be lasting well.

maestramommy
07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
There's at least 3 versions of the Disney Brave one.

1 is musical (or makes some kind of noise) and is a purple colored bow (haven't played with it)

1 is gold colored, with gold glitter all over it. We got this one, but I don't play with it much cuz I'm afraid of getting the glitter everywhere. I thought I was buying...

1 that is light tan colored. Very basic, and works to a maximum of about 15-20 feet or so, but is fun for little kids. Should also come with a quiver for the arrows.

This is good to know thanks! I think we are interested in the 3rd one. That was the one that came with the quivers. Does it also have suction cups? though maybe shooting outdoors would be better......I know Dora isn't really a little kid, but her size is still rather little. maybe it would be better, I don't know yet.

lcarlson90
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
This is good to know thanks! I think we are interested in the 3rd one. That was the one that came with the quivers. Does it also have suction cups? though maybe shooting outdoors would be better......I know Dora isn't really a little kid, but her size is still rather little. maybe it would be better, I don't know yet.

The one DS bought comes with 4 arrows and they have suction cups on them. They don't have any glitter on them. It doesn't look girly or DS would have never gone for it.

codex57
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
All 3 versions have arrows that come with suction cups. Aside from the bow (which itself is different in all 3 versions), the arrows and other accessories are different.