PDA

View Full Version : Comparing City Versa to City Select

PeppyParents
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi,

We've had a number of questions from new/expecting parents between these two strollers.

The Baby Jogger City Versa comes out in early to mid August.

Here are the two biggest differences, in our eyes:

City Versa has compact fold with seat in either direction

City Select converts to a double.

Any other thoughts on how the two compare -- or do they not compare at all other than some naming similarities and visual similarities?

legaleagle
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
PP - hip baby gear posted on fb a flyer for the versa that lists the weight as 26.2 lbs. have you had a chance to weigh one yourself?

PeppyParents
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
PP - hip baby gear posted on fb a flyer for the versa that lists the weight as 26.2 lbs. have you had a chance to weigh one yourself?

Hi, thanks for noting that! The original estimate was 24 pounds. I'll double-check with BJ on that. No retailer has a production model yet in stock, so can't weigh it ourselves yet.

queenmama
07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm disappointed about the weight. It has a lot of great features (namely the fold) but I was hoping it would be closer to 20#. I guess all of those features add up! ;)

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Multimama
07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah, wow, 26 lbs is a lot. I don't love the BJCS comparison because usually people say the BJCS doesn't have a very good push. I hope the push on the Versa is better. I wonder if they would consider making a more stripped down (that is, lighter) version of the Versa in the future?? How can it be so much heavier than the BJCM when it folds down to the same size?

PeppyParents
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, wow, 26 lbs is a lot. I don't love the BJCS comparison because usually people say the BJCS doesn't have a very good push. I hope the push on the Versa is better. I wonder if they would consider making a more stripped down (that is, lighter) version of the Versa in the future?? How can it be so much heavier than the BJCM when it folds down to the same size?

Still waiting to hear back from BJ on official weight.

But if you think about the larger wheels... figure 2 pounds extra weight there for four wheels, right?

And the floating, reversing seat needs its own frame, so that's going to be around 6-8 pounds; several pounds more than just the fabric stretched across the BJCM frame. No getting around that.

And then the extra bit of weight for the adjustable handlebar mechanism.

So, it's definitely going to to be significantly heavier than BJCM; we'll see how much!

PeppyParents
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM

For new moms who don't hang out on stroller boards, they look pretty similar, and they both start with "Baby Jogger City...", so I think that's mainly why the non-familiar are trying to figure out the difference.

BJCM looks like a totally different stroller, so no real confusion there.

Multimama
07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
For new moms who don't hang out on stroller boards, they look pretty similar, and they both start with "Baby Jogger City...", so I think that's mainly why the non-familiar are trying to figure out the difference.

Oh yeah, I get why the comparison is being made, especially since a lot of people talked about the BJCS compared to it when the Versa was first introduced at the ABC show. I just don't *like* the comparison because I want the Versa to have a better push. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

If the stroller is going to be that heavy why don't they go the extra mile and put the GT tires on the Versa like they are going to do in the UK. :) I would love that!

queenmama
07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
If the stroller is going to be that heavy why don't they go the extra mile and put the GT tires on the Versa like they are going to do in the UK. :) I would love that!

Amen to that!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Kaylee31
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM

:yeahthat: Uh huh, I second that! I was so excited when I saw the prototype pics a few months ago. What a bummer that they won't make the GT tires available here. I would definitely get one then. At 26 lbs. though, the fold of the Versa is no longer tempting me enough to trade my Vista for it since they're the same weight. Only takes 5 seconds to pop off the Vista seat & fold it up anyway.
Is the Select push that bad? I am shocked that it only has 22" of head clearance. That's tiny! And on the comparison chart, it says both the Versa & Select have all-wheel suspension. I think the Select actually only has front suspension, like the Elite & Mini, so the Versa has that over it too.

Multimama
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Is the Select push that bad?

I *think* most people talk about the Select being a beast to push as a double so hopefully the Versa will be fine as a single.

Do we know how wide the Versa will be yet? ETA: Just looked at the chart and it's almost 4 inches narrower than the BJCS. That's a big difference. That's also two inches narrow than the BJCM. I like the sound of that.

PZMommy
07-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I have the BJCS, and I really like it as a double. I originally had a Graco Quatro Duo, and that thing was a pain to deal with! I don't think the BJCS is that hard to push. I use is with my 3 yr old and 10 month old.

I do plan to get the Versa though. I find the BJCS is too big when I am just out with one of my kids. I need a stroller where my baby can face me, which is why I am choosing the Versa. I have a B Agile, but plan to sell it once I have the Versa. The weight issue doesn't bother me. Being able to fold it with the seat facing me trumps that!

Dawn

legaleagle
07-24-2012, 10:51 AM
I really want to see a comparison of the evo and versa since they're the same weight and both fold with the seat in either direction. And the bee for that matter. Versa wins hands down on ease of fold and canopy, of course.

PeppyParents
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Per Baby Jogger, the City Versa with seat and canopy attached is weighing in at 25.5 pounds.

strollerqueen
07-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah, I get why the comparison is being made, especially since a lot of people talked about the BJCS compared to it when the Versa was first introduced at the ABC show. I just don't *like* the comparison because I want the Versa to have a better push. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

They did strongly consider the GT tires on the American version, but the retailers weren't too keen on it. It actually adds weight and cost.