PDA

View Full Version : Strollers for over 40 lbs?

ssand23
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
My 2 year old is a big guy. I've been considering a new stroller for him but am not sure what strollers are for children over 40 lbs. I can see him needing at stroller for a while longer so ideally something that holds a child up to 50-60 lbs.

He has special needs so the stroller is helpful for us both when we're out. He's definitely my last one so I just need a single stroller. We currently have a Peg Perego Pliko that I like. We also have a Maclaren Quest. I have a joint disorder and cannot open & close their stupid round clasps. I hate that they changed those. I wish I would have kept the Maclaren stroller that I had with my older kids. I still have & use our Daytripper from 1999 but it's like a Volo, so kind of bare bones with not much to it & no hood.

Thank you!

hihellonikki
07-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I recently saw a Cybex Onyx, and although it's an umbrella stroller, I was surprised at how roomy it was. A big kid should fit well. It fits up to 50 lbs.

I you would like something a little bigger, I recently bought a BJCM GT for my infant son. Last time we were at the zoo, my 8 year old nephew rode around in it nearly the whole time. He fit great, and the push was still very decent.

LivsMum
07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I bought an onyx yesterday and love it. The best thing is the canopy, it slides up and down the frame so it can accomodate a tall child.

spannaz
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
How about a Valco Quad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legaleagle
07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
How about a Valco quad?

Unfortunately, valco have ridiculously hard buckles, if OP cant use the Mac buckles she'll be in tears with the valco ones.

OP is your son very tall as well as heavy?

ssand23
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, valco have ridiculously hard buckles, if OP cant use the Mac buckles she'll be in tears with the valco ones.

OP is your son very tall as well as heavy?

Right now he's 40 lbs & 40 inches. I'd say he's tall for 2. I curse up a storm with the Maclaren. My little guy has unfortunately learned to say "I don't give a ship" He seems to think I'm talking about boats, thankfully. So yeah, time to clean up my mouth & find a new stroller ;)

I was looking at the BJCM Elite. I don't think we have a local store that sells them to look at in person (just Babies R Us with the Citi Mini). Would the Elite be appropriate for him? The site says it goes to 75 lbs. I'm going to look up the other brands you all mentioned right now. Thank you for all the great help! I prefer to have 2 strollers, for home & the car so if the prices aren't too bad, I may go for 2 different ones.

I found out that our Pliko P-3 is part of the recall & the fix is not going to fit him (his legs are too chubby at 15 inches around, I spoke with Peg Perego on the phone this morning & their fix is not quite 11 inches around) so now we really need a new stroller. I sent for the Pliko fix & am considering just selling it after the fix arrives (or maybe giving it to my oldest for my grandson, my oldest has a baby boy, he's such a cutie!! I'm not sure how well the Pliko will sell with the fix & my daughter could use it) & maybe sell our Maclaren Quest, too to fund the new ones.

Edited to add: I think our local BRU has the Cybex Onyx. I'm going to check that out in person this weekend. That wouldn't be too bad price wise if they let me use one of their 20% off coupons. I'm going to check Craigslist, too.

ssand23
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I bought an onyx yesterday and love it. The best thing is the canopy, it slides up and down the frame so it can accomodate a tall child.

What a great feature! When my big girls were little, it was so hard to find strollers & car seats, too to fit them. My middle daughter is very tall (she was 36 inches at 12 months & is 5'11 now at 12). We had a hard time finding strollers for her and she was in a Britax Star Riser Comfy at 25 months due to her height, weight & lack of car seats for kids over 40 lbs.