PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about older model MB Urbans...

teo
07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
There's a 2004 for sale locally, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting. I'd like to get a decent all-terrain stroller for our nine-month-old, but we already have a primary stroller so it needs to be something that will be relatively inexpensive used.

We would use it for neighborhood walks now that DS is enjoying facing out a lot of the time, walks on gravel and sand, and general paved trail use at regional parks. No actual jogging. A good basket would be wonderful if this exists since one big use would be the weekly farmers' market, which is partially on gravel.

Would a 2004 Mountain Buggy Urban be a decent choice for this? If so, what would you pay for one in fair condition? If not, any other good suggestions for strollers (or different model years) that will be $150 or less used? We have a very active Craigslist so pretty much anything eventually pops up there. I've tried and like the Bob Revolution SE and Bumbleride Indie, but they tend to be listed closer to $300. Any other thoughts, or things to avoid?

Thanks!

kaharris83
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Someone on CL posted a BOB for $185 4 hours ago. It may be gone already though. I've been watching BOBs for a few weeks now and it seems there have been quite a few for $175-250 lately. We're in the same CL area. ;) I love my BOB but have no experience with MB to compare.

ETA The MB looks pretty nice for 8 years old and for what your looking for seems like it would be a good choice.

roseyloxs
07-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I bought a used '05 off craigslist and it was in amazing condition. One wheel had been overinflated and needed replacing. I spent $60 on the stroller and $50 on a new wheel. Later that summer I found an indie for $150 with extras so I sold the MBUS for $125. For what you describe I think it would be a great stroller for you.

The fold is long and the wheels are not quick release so if trunk space is in issue I would check the fit before buying. Also I don't remember if the basket is overly large or accessible but you can easily get some stroller hooks. I have these (http://www.amazon.com/Think-King-Stroller-Wheelchair-Rollator/dp/B002MXP3SM) and they are great for hanging bags or even a basket with two handles like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-C81101006-Grocery-Market-Basket/dp/B004Z5CH0W).

LivsMum
07-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I bought a used '05 off craigslist and it was in amazing condition. One wheel had been overinflated and needed replacing. I spent $60 on the stroller and $50 on a new wheel. Later that summer I found an indie for $150 with extras so I sold the MBUS for $125. For what you describe I think it would be a great stroller for you.

The fold is long and the wheels are not quick release so if trunk space is in issue I would check the fit before buying. Also I don't remember if the basket is overly large or accessible but you can easily get some stroller hooks. I have these (http://www.amazon.com/Think-King-Stroller-Wheelchair-Rollator/dp/B002MXP3SM) and they are great for hanging bags or even a basket with two handles like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-C81101006-Grocery-Market-Basket/dp/B004Z5CH0W).

I have a 2006 and the wheels are quick release and the basket is large and easily accessible. I don't think the 2004 is that much different. We love our MB.

poohbear
07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the 2004s did not have adjustable handlebars. I prefer BOBs over MBs personally. I like the larger back wheels and the better canopy. I also like the foam handlebar better. And the MB fold drives me bonkers. But you can often snag an MB for $100... (I'm assuming we're talking singles). Personally I'd try to get the BOB for $185, but that's me. I don't know if you live near an REI, but you can check out their garage sales too - I saw a pristine BOB at one for $150 a few weeks ago...

LivsMum
07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
You're probably right about the handlebar.

If OP is interested in getting a new BOB, I have a 20% coupon for Wayfair. It would make the Revolution SE just $270 out the door. Just let me know if you're interested, I won't be using it.

teo
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks all! This is super helpful. It does look like the 2004s didn't have the adjustable handlebar, but I don't think that would be a huge issue in our case. Decided not to go with this particular one after seeing photos---not in stellar condition---but there is another listed on CL so I may go look at that and see. (Unfortunately I think we're actually on the other side of the country from kaharris83, so no $185 BOB here, but I popped over to see the Urban listed there--the one I was looking at was identical except that the condition was nowhere near as good for the same price.) I'll keep watching, and the Wayfair suggestion is a good one. The REI garage sale is a great idea too--forgot about that! We do live very near one, so I'll find out when their next sale is.

I go back and forth on whether the BOB is overkill for what we need--as background, our primary stroller is an Uppababy Cruz, and DH thinks *that* is way too big for a stroller, so his eyes will bug out with the BOB...the thing I like about the Urban and the Indie is that the tires are a bit smaller and I can realistically see taking those to the grocery store and around town in addition to the all-terrain uses.

Thanks!

kaharris83
07-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Sorry Teo I had just finished reading the MB post on our CL and thought it must be the one your referring to. Good luck and I hope you're able to find what you need!! When I was looking for my BOB I used a CL notifier I'd know as soon as one was posted.

teo
07-28-2012, 06:28 PM
No worries--I wish it were the same one because I'd definitely grab that one! (My mom is there periodically and I actually had half a mind to call her and ask her to get it if it's still there next month...but then came to my senses and realized how ridiculous that was! :))

hollissmama
07-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a MB urban double , its a 2006. I love it, it is a very sturdy stroller that pushes super well even fully loaded down. I would def get a MB over a BOB they just look giant IMO, the urban or an indie can be used indoors much easier, small footprint length wise for sure. I have had Indies and they are wonderful too. Hope you find a good deal!