PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed! Advice appreciated!

coastgirl
07-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer!

My son is now 7 mos, so I really need to get him out of his Snap N Go. We take daily neighborhood walks, and so far maybe once weekly in town.
I thought by now I'd have more of an idea of our "lifestyle," and thus a stroller would emerge from my countless hours of research.

Considerations:
1. My street is paved, but not smoothly (maybe asphalt). I've been thinking that I need sturdier than average tires. But, maybe not?
2. Initially I really wanted the option of baby facing me, but maybe we've outgrown this feature?
3. I'm short, and prefer the 40" handle height. BJCM's handle feels too high.
4. Large canopy for Arizona sun, preferably with some airflow & peakaboo window

While I know there's no perfect stroller, I would still like a few additional features:
- Decent size basket
- Near-flat recline for naps (1 handed is a bonus)
- Leg rest for naps (needed?)

Many friends recommend BOB for maneuverability, and the off-chance that I'll want to off-road.

Was thinking that if I'm spending the money, I should keep double option open...even though I'm not planning for babies close together.

Any recommendations or at least advice for above? Should I keep one larger (heavier) stroller for the asphalt of neighborhood walks, and a second lightweight (with supportive back) for downtown, events, mall, etc?

Or do I want too many features, and should split the difference with a lightweight+ stroller, forgoing the coveted reversible seat?

legaleagle
07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
The valco spark thats being released in August covers all your requirements. Theres more info on the valco fb page. If you decide you don't need reversible the baby jogger city mini GT would be a good choice too.

coastgirl
07-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks! I forgot to include my question about the seat in full size strollers. The "V" recline seems so uncomfortable for the baby. Do you have any experience with this?

roseyloxs
07-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Bumbleride Indie. It costs more then the BOB but you could potentially find a used one on CL. Huge canopy and basket. Back of the canopy zips off for extra airflow. It also has the near flat recline and adjustable leg rest. I think the indie is small enough to do the mall, etc as well. I would probably put off buying a lightweight stroller until your dc is over 12 months, maybe even 18 months so recline and firm back wouldn't be so important and you could potentially get an even lighter stroller.

For a reversible option you might like to check out the new baby jogger versa. It comes out this week I think.

BabyBearsMom
07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer!

My son is now 7 mos, so I really need to get him out of his Snap N Go. We take daily neighborhood walks, and so far maybe once weekly in town.
I thought by now I'd have more of an idea of our "lifestyle," and thus a stroller would emerge from my countless hours of research.

Considerations:
1. My street is paved, but not smoothly (maybe asphalt). I've been thinking that I need sturdier than average tires. But, maybe not?
2. Initially I really wanted the option of baby facing me, but maybe we've outgrown this feature?
3. I'm short, and prefer the 40" handle height. BJCM's handle feels too high.
4. Large canopy for Arizona sun, preferably with some airflow & peakaboo window

While I know there's no perfect stroller, I would still like a few additional features:
- Decent size basket
- Near-flat recline for naps (1 handed is a bonus)
- Leg rest for naps (needed?)

Many friends recommend BOB for maneuverability, and the off-chance that I'll want to off-road.

Was thinking that if I'm spending the money, I should keep double option open...even though I'm not planning for babies close together.

Any recommendations or at least advice for above? Should I keep one larger (heavier) stroller for the asphalt of neighborhood walks, and a second lightweight (with supportive back) for downtown, events, mall, etc?

Or do I want too many features, and should split the difference with a lightweight+ stroller, forgoing the coveted reversible seat?

For a bumpy street I would get something with some kind of air tire (either Forever Air or True Air Tire). Maybe a Bumbleride Indie or a Mountain Buggy Swift would be good. It's too bad that you don't like the height of the BJCM because the BJCM GT would be a good fit.

If you really want to keep the double option open, you could get the Britax B-Ready (although I recommend waiting to get the double until baby #2 is in the picture because you never know how your needs will change). The 2012's have air tires that would be good for your terrain, it can be parent facing, the handlebar is adjustable, the canopy is good (not Baby Jogger good, but decent), there is a good sized basket, and has a leg rest. It doesn't recline flat but flat enough for a napping 7 month old.

In a perfect world, I think it is nice to have two strollers. A good sized all terrain (like a Bob or Mountain Buggy) and then a smaller indoor stroller (like a Maclaren).

spannaz
07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
In your situation, I would go with a BOB for neighborhood walks and a lightweight for the car/ downtown such as a G-Luxe. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivsMum
07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I have a mountain buggy and a cybex Onyx and also a Maclaren quest. Great combo I think.

hihellonikki
07-31-2012, 01:52 AM
I could have written your exact post last month! Since then, my son has turned 8 months old, and I have purchased a stroller. I ended up with a BJCM GT. I chose the GT over the regular City Mini because of the adjustable handlebar, the forever air tires, and the hand break. I think it's a significant step up from the standard City Mini. I also liked the Bob Revolution SE, but it had a bigger footprint, was heavier, didn't fold as easy, and the handle wasn't adjustable.

I'm also considering purchasing a lighter weight stroller for indoor mall-type shopping. I'm an avid babywearer, so I won't really need to use a stroller is this capacity very often. I'm going to take the GT to the mall a time or two before I decide if it's a necessity or not. If it is, I've got my eye on a Babyhome Emotion or maybe a Valco Zee.

mackmama
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Just wanted to chime in that I would not get the MB Swift for your needs. I have it, and the canopy is not adjustable and is not very big. I really like the Swift except for the canopy.

coastgirl
08-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Thank you!

rileysmom
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I would look at the baby jogger city elite too. They have awesome canopies, air tires just in case, but they aren't huge like the BOB. Really big canopy, adjustable leg rest, peekaboo window. I think the only thing on your list it is "ok" at is the basket. Not tiny, but not huge. You might be able to find one on craigslist too. Albeebaby has the 2010 on sale http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-single-2010-black-sport.html

purpelina
08-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I would look at the baby jogger city elite too. They have awesome canopies, air tires just in case, but they aren't huge like the BOB. Really big canopy, adjustable leg rest, peekaboo window. I think the only thing on your list it is "ok" at is the basket. Not tiny, but not huge. You might be able to find one on craigslist too. Albeebaby has the 2010 on sale http://www.albeebaby.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-single-2010-black-sport.html

baby jogger elite is indeed a very nice stroller, but I would not say it's smaller than a bob. It's same size, just differently distributed, so to speak. and most importantly, it's MUCH heavier. It's little over 30 lbs, while bob is 23.

I would recommend bob with 12 inch tires. Great for walking, and definitely smaller than reg. bob. It also is one of the lightest all terrain 21 lb. Great canopy.

Swift is another option, it's a tad smaller than bob 12, but I agree that the canopy is on a smaller side. I alos didn't liek the way it folds - it's s long fold, and you have to engage two small hinges, which I and hard time doing, especially in winter weather and gloves / mittens on.

edurnemk
08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks! I forgot to include my question about the seat in full size strollers. The "V" recline seems so uncomfortable for the baby. Do you have any experience with this?

Just seeing this now, but we had both kind of seats and DS by FAR preferred V shaped seat of the Vista. He could nap in there for 2+ hours vs. Only 20 minutes in the flat seat of the other stroller. Ithink it cradles them and they like that.

legaleagle
08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Just seeing this now, but we had both kind of seats and DS by FAR preferred V shaped seat of the Vista. He could nap in there for 2+ hours vs. Only 20 minutes in the flat seat of the other stroller. Ithink it cradles them and they like that.

:yeahthat:

It's like those babies that will only sleep in the rock n play.

sweetsoul99
08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
definitely don't worry about a double until you have to. That just complicates this process even more. And honestly, I prefer the side by side doubles.

which one do you think looks the best? because there is no perfect stroller, so you mine as well pick the one you like the best =)

if you dont need the stroller for trails or running, mini gt would be a good do it all stroller, and it has an adjustable handle. And of course an excellent canopy and easy fold. Have you been using the snap n go for your walks? If you have been satisfied with that then you probably don't need an AT stroller.

If you want the smoothest ride possible, especially for trails and running, The bob is pretty awesome, excellent canopy. however those handle bars are not adjustable and you might not like the height. Have you tried out one of your friends? If you go this route, I would definitely pick a light weight for the car. It's doable to have an AT as your one and only, but getting it in and out gets old pretty fast and takes up a lot of room in your trunk. I love having my AT all set up in my garage and I can just put the kids in and go. Then I have my car stroller and I don't have to think twice about whether I've loaded up the stroller or not. (right now it's a snap n go just like you, but I have the maclaren XT for when he will grow out of the snap n go.)

If you want a reversible, there are a lot of nice options, just be prepared for them to be fairly heavy (I consider anything over 23 lbs as heavy). Except for the bee of course. Cameleon and Vista are great options that have been around for a while, so you can get a good deal on cl.

coastgirl
08-23-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm sorry that I just saw your replies from weeks ago!

I did try a BOB recently, and the handle is too high. I thought I'd adjust, but strollers just feel larger with the high handle. Also, my LO didn't seem comfortable for some reason.

edurnemk, was your son more comfortable in the V-seat even as he grew?

I ordered a B-Ready when it was on sale, and I really wanted to like it, but it feels huge! With the seat height, I can't even see him FF.

Good point about the Snap N Go being enough...although, I don't worry about tire wear because I know it's short-term use.

We've been using a friend's old Chicco Cortina, and it's done the job. I guess both LO and I are fine with him FF.

roseyloxs
08-23-2012, 05:25 AM
How about the Valco Spark (http://www.valcobaby.com/products/strollers/model/spark.html)? Its brand new so you will have to be the guinea pig but it does have air tires in the rear. The seat is reversible and the canopy has a peekaboo window and a zip-out extension to make it even larger. The valcobaby site says its 23" wide which is about 3" skinnier then the B-ready so hopefully it's the size you are looking for.

Baby Jogger Versa or Uppababy Cruz. Neither have air tires but I think you might like the other features that both can offer.

You were interested in the bee on the other thread but I don't think I would recommend it for an outdoor stroller. Its very nice and does have the recline and leg rest you are looking for. However the canopy does not have a peekaboo window and does not let airflow through but you could buy the breezy canopy which I think offers both. I don't think the wheels will show wear and tear from the street you are describing but they are on the smaller side and will get stuck on cracks or rocks occasionally which is why its a much better indoor (and sometimes outdoor) stroller. I have used it from time to time as my one and only and it works but I think there might be better options out there for you.

edurnemk
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
edurnemk, was your son more comfortable in the V-seat even as he grew?

He always loved the V-shaped seat, both as a baby and a toddler. He slept very well in it from babyhood (2+ hour naps vs. 20 min in a flat seat of another stroller). At 2-3 yo he'd specifically ask to ride on the red stroller (Vista) and not the other one because the "red one is more comfy". I think it sort of cradles him.

theriviera
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Bumbleride Indie. It costs more then the BOB but you could potentially find a used one on CL. Huge canopy and basket. Back of the canopy zips off for extra airflow. It also has the near flat recline and adjustable leg rest. I think the indie is small enough to do the mall, etc as well. I would probably put off buying a lightweight stroller until your dc is over 12 months, maybe even 18 months so recline and firm back wouldn't be so important and you could potentially get an even lighter stroller.

For a reversible option you might like to check out the new baby jogger versa. It comes out this week I think.

:yeahthat: