PDA

View Full Version : Overnight cloth for 2.5 yo

thesimplelife
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi!

My son is 2.5 and just potty trained for day but still wets significantly at night and during naps. I am a complete newbie to the cloth diapering world as we have always used sposies!

I am hoping to find something (cloth diaper or cloth trainer) that will feel like undies to him since he is really against wearing diapers now and fights it when we put them on him at night or naptime! Plus I am hoping this will save me from having to keep buying diapers for those times seeing as how we don't know how long nighttime training will take.

So I am coming to you ladies for suggestions. I am looking to just buy like 7-8 pairs to use for naps and nightime daily. I am hoping to buy used on Diaper Swappers or Craigslist, but don't even really know where to start...

Details on what I am looking for:
- He fills a sposie overnight, I need something pretty absorbent
- He is 30 lbs and somewhat thin in the waist
- With or without snaps, I would like something he can pull up and down himself like undies and that will look like and feel like undies to him. (He currently wears the gerbers with the extra padding in the middle.)
- I plan to wash in Arm and Hammer Sensitive, so would like something that doesn't require a specialized laundry detergent
- Cute boyish design a bonus but open to plain colors or a natural look as well

Suggestions for types I should look for??

Thanks!
Jeni

queenmama
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I've never trained in cloth but was poking around HC the other day and saw these: http://hyenacart.com/stores/twinkletoes/index.php?c=26

I'm sure there are loads more if you do a search for trainers, but I thought these fit the bill! I think your detergent should be fine, unless you start to get buildup or stinky or rash issues.

Good luck!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

ssand23
08-08-2012, 08:54 AM
I've been cloth diapering for 13 years now & currently have a 2 year old in cloth. Flip Trainers are a great option for those learning to potty. They come with very absorbent inserts so you can put 2 inserts in there instead of 1 for nighttime (I've done it & we had no leaks) or daytime if you're going out or taking a nap. And when the insert is wet, you can swap it out for another insert so you get more for your money (they come with 1 cover & 5 inserts). They are also very trim & fit under clothing with out the bulk that some cloth diapers have. Sustainablebabish's Magic Fitted cloth diapers are also extremely absorbent & amazing for nights but have a little more bulk to them & are not a pull on & off style.

The website www.cottonbabies.com makes the Flip Trainers (it's the same people who make BumGenius & Econobum cloth diapers). The Flip trainers fit 30-50 lbs. We have a bunch of them & have had great results. I've tried other trainers but sold them off for more of these. :)

P.S. I've always washed our cloth diapers in All Free, Tide or Tide Free. I think the whole idea of needing a special detergent is garbage. Most brands who insist you need a fancy detergent just happen to sell that special detergent. It's just a marketing scheme to get you go buy what they are selling. We still have & use diapers & covers that I bought in 1999 & never washed in a fancy detergent. The only diapers we have that fell apart were poorly made (we've had a lot of quality issues with Gro Via, I wouldn't recommend those). I did try fancy cloth diaper detergents. They just caused rashes & my diapers weren't as clean. It was a waste of $$. As long as you use enough detergent & make sure it's rinsed all out, you'll be fine. I've used the Arm & Hammer Free quite a few times on diapers with out any problems. :)

roseyloxs
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Ladder Hill Designs (http://hyenacart.com/stores/ladderhilldesign/index.php?c=19). You can get them with or without snaps. They are a pocket so you can fill them with as much as you need. I used both prefolds and bumgenius inserts in mine. Both fit great. You can take measurements of your ds and send them to LHD and she can make custom trainers so they fit just right.