PDA

View Full Version : Leggings v. Jeggings

ha98ed14
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Girl fashion question:

I remember a thread in which we discussed leggings and the general consensus was that girls needed to wear a skirt, swing top, tunic or dress over them to cover the bum, or at least attempt to.

What about jeggings? Lots of places are selling leggings that look like pants, presumably to wear by themselves. (It makes no sense to have pockets and rhinestone embellishments to cover them with a skirt.)

Thoughts?

BabyBearsMom
07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
When we do jeggings on DD1, I still usually put her in a longer top (not necessarily a tunic but not a top that falls at the hips)

crl
07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
My personal taste is to treat jeggings like leggings for dd. I use them with dresses or longer swing tops.

Catherine

kristenk
07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
DD is fairly thin and jeggings work well as jeans for her. They actually fit her body much better than true jeans and are much more comfortable for her.

Jeggings aren't body hugging/form fitting at all for DD, so we just use them as jeans with whatever shirt she wants.

I think that the fit of the jeggings is what determines the appropriate top.

Beth24
07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
DD is fairly thin and jeggings work well as jeans for her. They actually fit her body much better than true jeans and are much more comfortable for her.

Jeggings aren't body hugging/form fitting at all for DD, so we just use them as jeans with whatever shirt she wants.

I think that the fit of the jeggings is what determines the appropriate top.

:yeahthat:!

katydid1971
07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I think it comes down to age and size of DC. I got DD a pair of jeggings last year that she wore as jeans because she is so thin but if they were tight like leggings or if DD was school age then I would want a longer top. JMO

ha98ed14
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I think it comes down to age and size of DC. I got DD a pair of jeggings last year that she wore as jeans because she is so thin but if they were tight like leggings or if DD was school age then I would want a longer top. JMO

So, if DC are younger, do you think it's okay not to have the bum completely covered? Or is that for older DC? My DD is 42" and 38 lbs. She no longer has the round toddler tummy that little girls can have. Personally, I think she looks fine in form fitting clothes because she isn't heavy. (And I know what heavy looks like; I am a plus size woman, and I OFTEN think that there are some clothes that just should not be made in sizes 18+ because some people don't have the good sense not to wear them!)

It feels weird to say this WRT children, but if DD were plump, I would not be thinking of letting her wear jeggings as pants. There is a family at church with three DDs probably 7, 9 and 12y.o. and they are plump. No rolls, but round tummies that protrude. Sometimes the styles of their clothes are not flattering. The oldest wore an empire waist dress on Sunday and she looked like she was in-the-family-way. It's hard to dress girls!

citymama
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
We do livable leggings with Tshirts too, so I'm in the camp of don't need to cover. We cover with bike shorts and more fitted leggings. That would be way bulky.

kristenk
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
So, if DC are younger, do you think it's okay not to have the bum completely covered? Or is that for older DC?

For us, it always depended on fit, no matter the age. I don't think tight/form fitting leggings or shorts look good with regular length tees. It's probably just a personal preference kind of thing.

katydid1971
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
I do think age plays a part I think people don't think anything of a toddler who's shirt is too short but an older girl who's bottom is showing just isn't as appropriate no matter how thick or thin. Toddlers usually have "large" bottoms because of their diapers so if you are seeing them it isn't showing off their bottoms if that makes sense. JMO

SoCalMommy
08-01-2012, 02:30 AM
When we do jeggings on DD1, I still usually put her in a longer top (not necessarily a tunic but not a top that falls at the hips)

:yeahthat:

ha98ed14
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I am just going to have to order a few pair and see how they fit. If I order from a place in with a store in the mall, I can always return.

MamaSnoo
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I am sure everyone has seen it already, but I think of this (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=59359)every time I see the word jegging. It is still funny. :rotflmao:

Pinky
08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I am sure everyone has seen it already, but I think of this (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=59359)every time I see the word jegging. It is still funny. :rotflmao:

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!