PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my 6 year old at Disney? Please?

todzwife
07-31-2012, 01:34 PM
We went in march and DH insisted we just bring ONE stroller. I had a cheapy graco literider that served its purpose well. I sold it on Craigslist for near what I paid for it.

DD1 was just over 6 and crashed every single night we were there. I ended up carrying the 2 year old back in the carrier while pushing my sleeping 6 year old back to the hotel. It was NOT fun.

I was all set to bring my b-ready w/ second seat in November until I started reading about many strollers being taken lately, including a ring of thieves who were there JUST to scope out strollers to resell on craigslist. DH said absolutely not, we won't be bringing our most expensive stroller to Disney after all, which puts me back into the pickle of figuring out what to do for our 6 year old. She did fine walking all day and taking a few turns in the stroller but it was getting back to the hotel that threw me.

I have a Valco Quad that is no longer my primary stroller as well as the hitchhiker. I could bring that combo but my 6 year old won't be able to sleep if she does get tired.

I have a Uppababy G-luxe I could hook on to the side of the quad until we need it, but that poses the problem of pushing 2 strollers back if DH decides to stay longer w/ DS.

I have my single BOB, which DH doesn't really want to bring either.

The ONLY double I have is my B-ready.

I need advice. DD1 is about 48 pounds and 48 inches (all legs) and DD2 is about 24 pounds 32 inches. I need something with recline so that DD2 can take a nap mid-afternoon.

I also have a graco quattro that my SIL gave me, but I was going to let my brother borrow it. BOTH girls actually fit in it w/ the seat reclined fully, although I highly doubt they could both sleep in there unless they were super duper tired. It's also not fun to push with both of them in there LOL! But the features make it a wonderful option (full recline, rotating sun canopy, HUGE basket) and it's well loved so no one would take it on purpose!

I can probably funnel a little cash out if there is truly a better option. We WILL need a Disney double eventually since we plan on #4 sometime next year. I stupidly sold my BJCMD, and I'm looking at maybe getting a b-agile double. I looked at the Joovy X2, and it looks like it would work well but I'm not crazy about the fold. Space isn't a huge issues as we'll be driving this trip and I have a minivan.

Anyone have any ideas? What about the joey seat for my 2 year old? It seems like it folds down when not in use...

BayGirl2
08-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Have you thought about renting down there? Depending on the # of days maybe it would be worth it to have a SBS double. How bad is the Quattro? I pushed an older Duoglider with a 2 and 4 year old in it and there's no way in hell I'm doing that on my vacation for 5 days! What a beast.

Saw your post on the DiS. We're going before you and bringing the BJ SummitXC double so I couldn't do a swap, but it is a good idea. How about a used BJCMD from Craig's List?

gatorsmom
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Have you thought about renting down there? Depending on the # of days maybe it would be worth it to have a SBS double. How bad is the Quattro? I pushed an older Duoglider with a 2 and 4 year old in it and there's no way in hell I'm doing that on my vacation for 5 days! What a beast.

Saw your post on the DiS. We're going before you and bringing the BJ SummitXC double so I couldn't do a swap, but it is a good idea. How about a used BJCMD from Craig's List?

I would seriously look into renting down there or keeping an eye on the local Craigslist or ebay. We took our 2005 MBUD to WDW this past June and it was wonderful. it's a double but it can carry up to 120 lbs which meant our two 35lb twins could fit in the seats and our 7yo (50lbs, 44" tall) could sit on the footplate for the walk to our car. I'm sure no one bothered to steal it because it has been used and abused and shows it's age. But even with 3 kids on it I can steer it one handed. If you can find something like that on Craigslist or ebay you would be well- prepared for your trip.

todzwife
08-01-2012, 12:46 AM
The Quattro isn't nearly as bad as a duoglider. It's just not a great push. I'm used to my bob, gluxe and b-ready, so it just feels heavy and doesn't corner that great. I actually love the features, and it's loved so I know no one will take it, it's just not my favorite to push, you know?

Unfortunately, our Craigslist is a pit of graco and safety first just like the Quattro, nothing great comes up, which is why I'm considering getting the jogger from Walmart. With their ship to store option, we could pick it up as we get into town and if I could get a few people to go in on the swap none of us would be out a bunch of money and dh won't have to divorce me for having ANOTHER stroller in the garage.

hellokitty
08-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Given the size/age of your older child, I would probably just not stress over the stroller and rent one at WDW.

todzwife
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Given the size/age of your older child, I would probably just not stress over the stroller and rent one at WDW.

We're going to Disneyland and they don't have doubles there.

DH has made the decision to bring the freebie Quattro. I told him he will be pushing it. :p

BayGirl2
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
We're going to Disneyland and they don't have doubles there.

DH has made the decision to bring the freebie Quattro. I told him he will be pushing it. :p

I thought they had SBS doubles there? But I believe they are inside the park and unless you are staying onsite they can't be taken back to the hotel, so that's a huge downside. I was more thinking of some of the non-Disney related baby stuff rental companies that may have decent doubles.

todzwife
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I thought they had SBS doubles there? But I believe they are inside the park and unless you are staying onsite they can't be taken back to the hotel, so that's a huge downside. I was more thinking of some of the non-Disney related baby stuff rental companies that may have decent doubles.

Disneyworld does but the land doesn't. I checked into an outside rental place and it would be $95 for our trip.

jammytoast
08-01-2012, 08:36 PM
How about a retractable lock like is used for skis? Or do they cut those? Won't stop the big crooks but def stops a nuisance.

todzwife
08-01-2012, 11:42 PM
How about a retractable lock like is used for skis? Or do they cut those? Won't stop the big crooks but def stops a nuisance.

I have a Buggyguard but dh doesn't want to deal with using it every time we park the stroller. I agree that it would be fine for a day but 4 days would be annoying!

I don't think I'm going to convince him out of the freebie beater Quattro...