PDA

View Full Version : Yet another room sharing thread

amldaley
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
DD1 just turned 4 and DD2 is 5 months. We'll be moving DD2 out of our room soon. DD1 desperately wants a roommate. Her room is definitely large enough to accomodate both. And it would free up the smallest of the bedrooms for some much needed storage/office/guest room space.

But...1) neither are great sleepers...will they wake each other up?
2) what happens when DD2 is teething, needs night feedings, etc?
3) is 4 to young for bunk beds? product info says age 6?

If you have a Pre-schooler/infant room sharing, what is your nighttime and morning routine?

AnnieW625
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I shared a room with my brother who was 2/1/2 yrs. younger from the time I was 3/1/2 until I was in kindergarten. We started sharing when he was about a year old. I don't remember too much disruption or my parents would have moved him sooner. I remember my brother throwing his hard plastic baby doll across the room at me and hitting me, but other than that yeah no bad memories of sharing a bedroom with an infant and later toddler. Many years later at 11 yrs. old I shared the same room with my sister who was then a year old. I did homework or read in another part of the house until she was asleep. I assume my parents did as much with me when I shared with my brother.

My girls are just 4 yrs. apart and they easily could have shared a room, but DH wanted them to have their own space. DD2 has been ready for bed at 7:30 since she was maybe 3 months old, maybe even 2 months old (DD2 moved into her room at 2 months old, once she was sleeping for more than about 4 hrs. at a time--thanks to Zantac, and her not sleeping well during the day) and with DD1 at that age had they shared we would have just read or gotten DD1 ready for bed in a different part of the house and then walked her in and put her to bed.

Both of my girls are good sleepers. I think making the change now will be easier (give them more time to get used to it), but I also don't see the harm in waiting until they are a year old and or when you stop breast feeding to put them in their own rooms (if a full size crib fits in your room, that is what my parents did, moved us at a year once we were done breast feeding)

I would be okay with bunk beds for a 4 yr. old if you put the 4 yr. old on the bottom and removed the ladder for the time being. By the time they are 8 and 4 I wouldn't be worried much at all and the ladder can always be removed for non sleeping times. And if you get a twin over full then they can share a bed for a while as well if either of the DDs is not comfortable sleeping on the top bunk.

baymom
08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
We were in a similar situation a few years ago, too. DS was a great sleeper and almost 2 years old. DD was 5 months old and also slept through the night (well, at least 90% of the time) but woke up ready to start her day at least two hours earlier than DS. DH and I were determined to have both cribs in one room (to free up the smaller room to use as an office) and tried for a week. She would wake him up too early in the am., and I'd have a cranky 2 year old as a result. We'd separate them and experiment again every month or so. It was only when DD was nine months old that the arrangement worked out. He learned to ignor her and she learned to sleep in a bit later. Best of all, they would entertain each other for 10-15 minutes after they woke up and before they called out for us.

Your DD is much older, so it may be easier--especially since she wants a roommate. If it doesn't work well now, you could just keep trying over the next few months until it does. I think room sharing is so sweet and nostalgic for it now that my DD (now age 6) is insisting on moving into the office.

baymom
08-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry, just re read the OP. I think a mature 4 year old would be okay in a bunk bed, for sure. After they both outgrew their cribs we got bunk beds ( twin over full). When one was having a rough night, DH or I would sleep with them on the lower bunk or let them sleep with us in our bed.

hillview
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
We moved DS2 into DS1's room when DS2 was about 18 months old and out of the crib. It worked fantastically -- DS2 does wake up from time to time (as does DS1 -- although more rarely) and the other DS does not wake up.

Philly Mom
08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
My nieces 18 months and 4.5 have been sharing a room since DN2 was 5ish months. Both kids wake during the night at times but for the most part, the other has learned to sleep through it. They put DN2 to bed at 8 and then put DN1 to bed at 9. It works well and they like it.

KpbS
08-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I think they would probably do well as roommates. My friends that have done the same tell me that their kids have become deeper sleepers and rarely wake up when the other child wakes. Your younger DD will probably only continue to feed at night for another 6 mo or so and that really isnt a long time. I probably wouldn't bunk now maybe the ikea lower loft bed like a PP mentioned if you really needed the extra floor space. There will be a time of transition but since your DD1 is really positive about it I would go with that. I think sharing a room can help foster an amazingly close sibling relationship.

roseyloxs
08-02-2012, 06:11 AM
My kids have been rooming together since DD was about 6 months. I like the idea that neither has to be alone at night and free-ing up our 3rd bedroom for visitors. Both will occasionally wake up at night due to who knows what but I can't recall a time where one ever woke up the other. They go to bed at the same time now but when DD was under 1 she would tend to go to bed first. After she was asleep we would read DS his bedtime books with a book light. I found it a plus that they were together because DS had incentive to be quiet since DD was sleeping already.

When we moved to Germany we got the kids bunk beds. DS had just turned 4. Its an ikea bunk and I am comfortable with the height. DS is a very good climber so he has never had an issue with the ladder although I would have preferred one on an incline. DS was very excited and we just let him know early on there were safety rules that could not be broken when it came to the bunk bed (like no standing on the top bunk, etc). Its worked out great and we haven't had any issues.

If you are worried about the height of the top bunk or even the child on the lower bunk you could look at the loft beds pp was talking about. Something like this (http://www.babyage.com/cribs-and-baby-furniture/toddler-bed-and-baby-bed/popsicle-midsleeper-twin-loft-bed-80755.htm) and just put a second mattress on the ground. We had considered the lofts but were a bit limited in selection since we couldn't ship any to our APO address. So we just went to the local ikea and got the cheap pine bunk bed.

maestramommy
08-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Dora and Arwyn started sharing a room when Dora was 2.5 and Arwyn was 9 months. I think I nursed her her at night for maybe a month more after they moved in. It worked fine.

However, Laurel didn't move in with her sisters until she was closer to two. And actually we've moved her out again. She just sleeps with them when we have company. She sleeps less than they do, and their presence just makes her want to play and it keeps them up later, and wakes them up earlier.

They've all had the same routine since they were babies though. They all go to bed at the same time. I think the babies were probably 6-7 months.

We will not get bunkbeds for a good while yet, maybe when Laurel is 5? We just cannot get the point across that jumping on the beds is a bad idea, though they get scolded all the time. They've asked about bunkbeds, and the answer is always the same, "When you guys stop jumping on the beds." This is really Arwyn and Laurel though, esp. Laurel.

Melaine
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Room sharing is the only option here. My girls do great together but they've never had a choice. I think they would be fine with the baby too FWIW. Just wanted to share a link for the beds we have. We actually ended up getting two of them so the girls could each have a play spot beneath. We absolutely love them and will probably eventually get a third for DS. They are lower than bunk beds or loft beds and the "lip" around the edge is really high with the recommended mattress (which is quite thin) so I feel they are totally safe. They have been perfect for our needs. I think I posted pics in a previous thread if you search Ikea Kura. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996/)

bisous
08-02-2012, 02:23 PM
My three boys ages almost 9, just 5 and 10 months are sharing! It probably isn't what I would have chosen if we had more space but we don't. I'm shocked by how well all three sleep, despite the fact that I have to test my 8yo's blood sugar at least 3 times every night. (We use a headlamp!)

If you aren't keen on bunk beds, what about a trundle bed? That is what we are STILL using for my kids and so far so good. The bonus is that the trundle/bed combo works for a great "gym" for the 10 mo.

All three kids go to bed at 8. I still can't believe it works so well!