PDA

View Full Version : Foam rollers for toddlers?

cookiemonster80
08-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I'd like to give these a try for DD1-
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-61118z-Foam-Rollers-Pack/dp/B001KYS930/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1343855253&sr=1-1&keywords=foam+rollers
she has naturally curly hair, but not overly so, to the point where it usually looks stringy and unkempt most of the time.

i'm really not that familiar with types of sponge rollers- these are what my mom used on me and I hated them- have they made any new products that do the same thing?

I came across these but have no idea if they work or really what they are-anyone have any experience?

http://www.amazon.com/10-PCS-PILLOW-SOFT-CURLERS/dp/B001V9EMOO/ref=sr_1_19?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1343855253&sr=1-19&keywords=foam+rollers

How do you manage your curly tot's hair?

Percycat
08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
We use these sometimes, but my daughter's hair is not that same as yours. My daughter has fine straight long hair that holds a curl very well. We have used these at night when her hair is damp and when she wakes up in the morning it is dry. She complains they are uncomfortable if we roll them all the way, so I just roll the bottoms up to her chin/nape.

I don't like that the plastic closing bar leaves indentations in her hair pattern/curl.

We have started using curlformers more often when she wants curls. It takes a bit to learn how to pull the hair through the roller, but she loves the spiral curls they make.

http://www.amazon.com/WSWS-Rollers-high-speed-changing-curlers/dp/B003YTMG5Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343856945&sr=8-2&keywords=curlformers

I'll be interested in seeing the replies you get.

brittone2
08-01-2012, 05:41 PM
DD just has wavy hair, so no experience with doing it on really curly hair, but have you looked at the sock bun curl tutorials online? DD likes when I do that to her hair from time to time, and she doesn't find it uncomfortable to sleep on.

cntrymoon2
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Are you using product in her hair? By the time my DD was 2, we had to start using products with hold. I like the Argan Oil Curling Cream and oil from Sally Beauty. We have the best results when we get her hair very wet, comb through with a wet brush or Tangle Teezer, and then finger comb product. NEVER EVER EVER brush curly hair. Only finger comb when wet. Keep curls together as much as possible to start with, then add something with some hold.

cookiemonster80
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Are you using product in her hair? By the time my DD was 2, we had to start using products with hold. I like the Argan Oil Curling Cream and oil from Sally Beauty. We have the best results when we get her hair very wet, comb through with a wet brush or Tangle Teezer, and then finger comb product. NEVER EVER EVER brush curly hair. Only finger comb when wet. Keep curls together as much as possible to start with, then add something with some hold.

Hmmm- ok good to know. I have super straight hair so have no clue how to manage curls. But her hair is SO tangled (at the top next to her scalp) after her bath, even with detangling shampoo and leave in detangler I can't imagine that a wide tooth comb or just fingers would ever get through it.

I've heard you aren't supposed to brush curls but don't know exactly how to not do it??!!

ellies mom
08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I have straight hair too so I had a decent learning curve with my curly girls.

I generally skip the shampoo entirely and just use conditioner in place of shampoo and then again as conditioner. I used to use California Baby's Leave-in Conditioner but now I use one of Beautiful Curl's leave-in conditioners. They have a few different ones. I would try the Babies and Up or Wavy to Curly ones depending on the amount of curl. We use Curly to Kinky but my girls have really curly hair.

What I generally do in the morning is spritz the hair with water, work in a small amount of the leave-in conditioner straight and then comb it out with a wide tooth comb. Most of the detanglers just don't have enough oomph for wavy/curly hair. You can also mix some of the conditioner in with the water.

I like the uber-tousled bob with a clip thrown in for variety/

cntrymoon2
08-03-2012, 01:51 AM
I agree with Ellies Mom that most detanglers don't have enough power for super thick curly/kinky hair!
Here are more details on our method..
Washing/Conditioning:
We also skip shampoo- she only gets a sulfate free shampoo if I have directly applied sunscreen to her scalp, which is rare. We wash hair 2-3 times a week by doing a conditioner only wash. When her hair is soaking wet in the tub, and is full of conditioner- we run the wet brush/tangle teezer through. This is an important point- if you're at the point where you can't get a comb through it definitely start by brushing/combing through it only in the tub when you have conditioner on it.

Styling:
We basically detangle and style any time we're going out of the house because after even one nap, the tangles, frizz and fro are back in full force.
For us, the key to styling her hair and getting the tangles out is getting the hair really, really wet and with lots of conditioner/leave in moisturizer. DD hates it, because her shoulders get wet, so I give her a big towel to wear around her shoulders and she calls it her cape. Also, instead of a spray bottle of detangler, I look for a product that is a leave in moisturizing cream.

This is the wet brush (http://www.amazon.com/The-Wet-Rubberized-Detangle-Assorted/dp/B000L596FE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343971141&sr=8-1&keywords=wet+brush) and the Tangle Teezer (http://www.sallybeauty.com/detangling-brush/TGLTEZ1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH).

Products:
For products, try to stay away from anything with sulfates- they dry out curly hair and make it more frizzy. We are currently using the Argan Oil line from Sally- I use both the oil and this Curl cream as styling products:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-curl-cream/ONEONL21,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH
and I use the conditioner when I wash her hair. We tried Kinky Curly Knot Today but didn't have a lot of luck with it- it didn't have enough hold and DDs hair would frizz up.

I would also recommend getting a bottle of Infusium 23 as a starter leave in treatment- its readily available and the tip of it will be easy to apply around her scalp where her tangles are. If you start by saturating her with that, then adding some straight conditioner to the tangles, then slowly work through with the wet brush, you should be able to get the tangles out.
My heart goes out to you, and other straight haired mamas with curly DDs- I have had super tight curls my whole life and my straight haired friends can't believe the differences in taking care of curly vs. straight hair. I'm grateful that I at least know what I'm dealing with for DD's hair!

katydid1971
08-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Learning some good tips here, I think I'm going to try that sock bun thing on my hair. One thing I want to add is sleeping on a satin pillowcase has helped with DD's tangles in her hair.

cookiemonster80
08-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Wow- thanks- I am ready to tackle this again.
One question- how does the hair get clean if only conditioner is used to wash it?? Its not a cleansing agent I don't think. Right now we are using Babos detangling shampoo( and detangling spray) so no sulfates.

DD1's hair is definitely not kinky curly- its pretty fine (past her shoulders), mostly straight on top with ringlet curls half way down her head- so I worry about putting too much heavy stuff in-

But last night I did try some old suave conditioner and combed through in the tub with a wet brush then rinsed and then squeezed dry then detangler and wow her hair is super soft and shiny this morning! I put it in a ponytail to sleep so her curls are messed up from that- will be interested to see what happens when I get it wet again.

infomama
08-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Foam rollers have to be so uncomfortable. Have you tried rag curls? Lots of tutorials out there but here is one....
http://www.simplynotable.com/2012/vintage-rag-curls-updated/

maybe pin curls when she gets a little older(I may even try this one!) http://stylingdutchman.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-pin-curl-epiphany-tutorial.html

Melaine
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
My girls have super curly hair, but it gets wild easily. To make it look more "styled" and to prevent overnight frizz, I french braid it in two braids while it's damp and they sleep on it that way. You might want to give that a try as well. Although Curlformers are cool.

cntrymoon2
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Wow- thanks- I am ready to tackle this again.
One question- how does the hair get clean if only conditioner is used to wash it?? Its not a cleansing agent I don't think. Right now we are using Babos detangling shampoo( and detangling spray) so no sulfates.

DD1's hair is definitely not kinky curly- its pretty fine (past her shoulders), mostly straight on top with ringlet curls half way down her head- so I worry about putting too much heavy stuff in-

But last night I did try some old suave conditioner and combed through in the tub with a wet brush then rinsed and then squeezed dry then detangler and wow her hair is super soft and shiny this morning! I put it in a ponytail to sleep so her curls are messed up from that- will be interested to see what happens when I get it wet again.

Your DD's hair sounds similar to my DD- super fine texture with ringlet curls. I am not a die-hard "no-poo" believer, but I do think that severely cutting back on harsh shampoo detergents helps both my curls and hers. With the conditioner only washing method, you use a silicone free conditioner- the old Suave one you found is probably perfect for this- and massage into the scalp well. The belief is that hair doesn't need to be stripped clean on a daily basis, which is exactly what shampoos do, and in the process shampoos remove all of your hair's natural oils. Since DD was born, we've done very minimal shampoo (maybe 6 times a year, max), most of her washes are conditioner only and her hair is beautiful shape. No greasiness, and it feels and smells clean. It is important to know that if you use a conditioner or product with silicones, you will need to shampoo more often, because silicones build up on hair and are not removed with water.

With naturally curly hair, you should be able to "reset" the curl by wetting the hair.

calv
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
ok bumping. who uses these Curlformers ? thinking of 1st communion looks! :) heck what little girl with stick straight hair wouldn't love these gorgeous curls?!?!

nfowife
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
My DD has very curly hair (like shirley temple corkscrews often), but her hair is somewhat fine. She also rubs her head against the pillow and bed at night so when she wakes up the back of her head is a huge knot/matted hair every day. We wash 2x a week with a natural shampoo (right now I'm using burts bees "gud" shampoo on both my girls). Then I brush with the wet brush after the tub and put in divacurl gel. Then in the mornings (every morning) I brush it out with the wet brush (it's an awesome brush!! No pain!) and spray with water mixed with a tiny bit of the "gud" conditioner. Then I brush it again when damp from the spray and scrunch it back up with my hands which reactivates the gel. It works well and her hair stays very curly with minimal frizz. I do the morning brush out while she sits at the breakfast table and she's very used to it by now so it's pretty quick (about 5 minutes total) and easy. She wears her hair "done" every day to keep it out of her face- usually with just the front pulled into an elastic to the side with a bow clip. Occasionally in a ponytail or pigtails or pigtail braids. All of which are way easier to do neatly with damp hair anyhow.

Percycat
04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
ok bumping. who uses these Curlformers ? thinking of 1st communion looks! :) heck what little girl with stick straight hair wouldn't love these gorgeous curls?!?!

We use curlformers sometimes. My daughter has long straight fine hair. It takes a little while to learn how to pull the hair through the curlers without causing pain, but not too long. The first couple times we used them, I was very slow. Now, I can put in about 20 rollers in less than 15 minutes. I bought a second wand so while I am pulling hair through a roller, my daughter can load the next roller. We usually put these in at night with wet hair and she has ringlet curls for a couple days.

theriviera
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
This thread is so timely as I was at target looking for those pillow case rollers today. DD1 doesn't have curly hair but it is super thick and tangles SO easily. We use a knot genie when her hair is wet and full of conditioner. Our issue is that when she wakes up, her hair is totally matted in the back. I keep a spray bottle with a bit of conditioner and lots of water and that helps but I have to get her hair soaking wet to get the tangles. out. I would love to find a way to make her hair more manageable, because she is not very cooperative when I brush her hair.

nfowife
04-07-2014, 07:08 PM
My older DD has thick hair and what helps keep her hair tangle free in between washes is to braid it at night. Also her hair is kind of wavy/puffy and if I have time I will flat iron it and that makes a HUGE difference. It gives days of smooth, shiny, tangle-free hair.

doberbrat
04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Hmmm- ok good to know. I have super straight hair so have no clue how to manage curls. But her hair is SO tangled (at the top next to her scalp) after her bath, even with detangling shampoo and leave in detangler I can't imagine that a wide tooth comb or just fingers would ever get through it.

I've heard you aren't supposed to brush curls but don't know exactly how to not do it??!!

You comb it while she's IN the shower. Then, gently squeeze it and do as little to it as possible after. I have super curly hair - so I only 'comb' my hair ever 3 days or so. Otherwise, I finger comb or lightly spritz w/detangler. Sleep on a satin pillow case and its really not the rats nest you might think it would be.